Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Just looking at the news now, its unreal, they say it could screw up the world economy.
    With all these earth quakes and floods maybe the 2012 people are right:eek:

another excuse to hike petrol up by 5 cents at the pumps by monday as well probably

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Can we have a 2012 free thread please. Conspiracy theory forum is there for a reason.

Fair play to the Japanese they're really all pulling together. Seriously well prepared and very impressive execution of their plans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Yurt wrote: »
    Thats terrible news I just heard about the Tsunami on my longwave radio

Again with the unfunny schtick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Americans are the most retarded of nations when it comes to knowing what goes on outside of their country.

I would hazard a guess that about 30-40% dont know the capital of Japan

You'd hazard a guess, would ya?

Ever been there or met any Americans?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Radiation levels now 8 times normal levels at the main gate of Fukushima nuclear power plant according to Reuters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

SO?

[/QUOTE]so that is pretty retarded imo, Tokyo is one of the biggest cities in the world and Japan is one of the largest global economies, surely anyone with a few brain cells would know that.

They probably dont even know that their Sony and Panasonic giganormous 56" flat screens were designed there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, I never knew which one of thier worldwidwe R&D departments they designed them in, nice to know :rolleyes:

Radiation levels now 8 times normal levels at the main gate of Fukushima nuclear power plant according to Reuters.

levels now 1,000 times normal levels in the central control unit. It doesn't sound like they have it quite in control as they were suggesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Enderol

radiation levels now a THOUSAND times normal levels!!

Does anyone know what that would be and how long could people survive at those levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

old hippy wrote: »
    You'd hazard a guess, would ya?

Ever been there or met any Americans?

i'd guess a hazard :/

painfully hip artist / title but for chartsake david, come baaaack...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Skynews saying that radioactivity around the particular nuclear power plant is up to 1000 times normal levels and the evacuation radius is being extended to 6 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

I'm not great with geography/Time zones and I'm not American,but at around 4 today I heard a commentator on my radio saying that the rising Sun in Japan will show the true damages caused by the Earthquake/Tsunami,however the pictures/videos I have seen are all shot in day light?,what time in Irish time did the Earthquake occur at?

Sorry if it seems a bad question but I'm curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I didn't see any footage of the quake and tsunami until the past hour. Absolutely awful stuff. Towns being washed away down the street. Terrible. All my love goes out to the people of Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The news just seems to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I'm not great with geography/Time zones and I'm not American,but at around 4 today I heard a commentator on my radio saying that the rising Sun in Japan will show the true damages caused by the Earthquake/Tsunami,however the pictures/videos I have seen are all shot in day light?,what time in Irish time did the Earthquake occur at?

Its 7am now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

It happened in what was the early hours of the morning in Ireland and the afternoon of the 11th in Japan. It's now Saturday morning there, sunrise was about an hour ago. The pictures we've been seeing all day were filmed in the first few hours, as apart from some of the fires there was little that could be made out in the dark as they have limited power. There will now start to be new footage as it gets brighter there.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Apparently it happened about 2.45pm Friday afternoon Japanese time which was 5.45am Irish time .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Terrible news. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

What will happen the nuclear power plant?
    Will it explode or what?

BBC:
    The pressure inside one of the six Boiling Water Reactors (BWRs) at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant has built up because the cooling system was damaged by the earthquake. The heat produced by the nuclear reaction inside the core still needs to be dissipated even after a shutdown. If the outage in the cooling system persists, eventually radiation could leak out into the environment, and, in the worst case, could cause a reactor meltdown, experts say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I didn't see any footage of the quake and tsunami until the past hour. Absolutely awful stuff. Towns being washed away down the street. Terrible. All my love goes out to the people of Japan.

same-ish; only woke up at 5 it sucks.

i don't like japan being prone to this, they take immense pride in their landscaping and belongings i can relate to em more than others - sooner some pleasure island or shanty town tbh but at least they'll bounce back without the threat of mass emigration or utter dependance on outside help

RIP to a fair few people, and counting..

• Advertisement

What will happen the nuclear power plant?
    Will it explode or what?

I really doubt it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

This is starting to look like Three Mile Island all over again - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mile_Island_accident

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Is it just me but my internet is really slow tonight.

Is it just me but my internet is really slow tonight.

:rolleyes: Move to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

The control rods are inserted. I cant see how a meltdow would occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

This is starting to look like Three Mile Island all over again - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mile_Island_accident

That would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

amacachi wrote: »
    That would be fantastic.

?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭dilbert2

Absolutely horrific scenes, my heart goes out to the Japanese people and the Japanese community in Ireland. When we moan about the rain and weather in this country sometimes we fail to forget that we are out of harm’s way when it comes to the most devastating elements in nature, unlike Japan and its battered infrastructure and fear laden inhabitants.

Truly horrified watching the wrath of nature dealing its blows and I can only hope that such devastation doesn’t extend to other regions in the Pacific.

I really doubt that the situation at the power plant will get worse. The media just love dramatic and exaggerated news, especially skynews, although I'm not understated that the situation is indeed very serious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Some major fires have also been a feature of the earthquake with the oil refinery and several factories as well as the damage to the two nuclear reactors.
    Kesennuma - youtube (population about 75,000)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement