Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

What will happen the nuclear power plant?
    Will it explode or what?

Not expected to do that. I think it has gone china syndrome, the story changes from having no problem to having a problem again.

A fire and containment with some radiation leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    The control rods are inserted. I cant see how a meltdow would occur.

Isn't the problem that there isn't enough coolant in the reactors, thus leaving the control rods exposed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Malty_T wrote: »
    ?:confused:

No-one died, I think everyone would take that result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

star gazer wrote: »
    Some major fires have also been a feature of the earthquake with the oil refinery and several factories as well as the damage to the two nuclear reactors.
    Kesennuma - youtube (population about 75,000)
    Big explosions of oil aren't as "good" for the news channels as the possibility of nukular things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

:rolleyes: Move to Dublin.

To achieve what exactly?

Horrible news, hope events dont get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

dilbert2 wrote: »
    I am assuming here (and I may be wrong) that you are making reference to the atomic bombs dropped on Japan during the Second World War? If so, what a disgusting post - otherwise could you clarify as to what you mean by the above statement?

I was kinda wondering that myself. Hope not :(

Isn't the problem that there isn't enough coolant in the reactors, thus leaving the control rods exposed?

They have not said exposed. But it's boiling off making radioactive stream.

If the coolant has exposed the rods we have a fire too, they have not said it's on fire. But having listened to many experts today, a fire would have been the next stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭dilbert2

old hippy wrote: »
    I was kinda wondering that myself. Hope not :(

Sorry, I deleted that post because I thought it might drag the thread off topic. Sorry about that. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

http://edition.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream3&hpt=T1

Been watching live japanese telly at the link above (with english translation).

Devastation beyond comprehension in many places.

One town is completely destroyed, nothing left bar a few structures. The reporter in the helicopter was asked if they could see any people and he answered "no".

Yurt wrote: »
    Thats terrible news I just heard about the Tsunami on my longwave radio

Imagine for two seconds that your mother, father, partner or somebody close to your heart was taking a holiday in a coastal region of Japan and then this morning you switch on RTE or BBC news and see the unfolding events for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just home from work. My jaw dropped when I read the updates after being away for a few hours. The news on the radio didnt do justice to what was happening over there. Fcuking hell. Devastation. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

nuxxx wrote: »
    To achieve what exactly?

He said his internet was slow ...

Has anybody come across figures relating to the potential cost of the destruction on the Japanese people and their economy? I’m sorry, human lives is the primary issue here I realise – which is why I am watching the situation surrounding the nuclear station – but I am curious about this no less. This will hit Japan very badly and I sincerely would wish that the international community is going to lend a hand in rebuilding a devastated Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Has anybody come across figures relating to the potential cost of the destruction on the Japanese people and their economy? I’m sorry, human lives is the primary issue here I realise – which is why I am watching the situation surrounding the nuclear station – but I am curious about this no less. This will hit Japan very badly and I sincerely would wish that the international community is going to lend a hand in rebuilding a devastated Japan.

9Billion heard earlier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Imagine for two seconds that your mother, father, partner or somebody close to your heart was taking a holiday in a coastal region of Japan and then this morning you switch on RTE or BBC news and see the unfolding events for the first time.

He doesn't give a toss. That was his second lame attempt at humour today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Now being reported that a second nuclear plant is losing its cooling function.

dilbert2 on RTE news @ 9 they were saying that the damage caused in Japan today will cause huge disruptions to any growth in the global economy and may in fact cause a big set back!

Japanese companies such as their car companies/Medical companies in Ireland and many other countries in Europe & the U.S will also be hit,so it the damage will be huge!

Thrill wrote: »

Three of the four reactors are reported to have cooling problems.

I hope this is a bad translation, but it's just on Japan News.

Center of one 1000 over normal, gates outside 8 times over normal for radiation levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

Thrill wrote: »

theyve lost cooling at 3 reactors ..ffs...get the hell out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

This feels like 9/11 just before the towers collapsed :/

• Advertisement

Nuclear expert on skynews says that there is "no way" that radiation level could be as high as 1,000 outside the nuclear power station, rather inside the power station and possibly 8 times outside in the immediate area.

macroboy wrote: »
    theyve lost cooling at 3 reactors ..ffs...get the hell out of there.

no ,its all real the guardian site has minute by minute updates

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Both reactors at the plant have been damaged, and officials say they have "lost control" of the pressure, according to Reuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,252 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Nuclear expert on skynews says that there is "no way" that radiation level could be as high as 1,000 outside the nuclear power station, rather inside the power station and possibly 8 times outside in the immediate area.

the plnat has been leaking since earlier than they admitted,the workers have siad its completely fecked.

my girfriend is in kanagawa..she expects the worst as the govt are trying to play things down as usual.

Things don't seem to be improving for the people of Japan,and as believer I will pray hard for them & the non-believers to will also be wishing the best for those poor people,we are all human and as Obama said today regardless of who we are,what race we belong to,what skin colour we are,or what religion if any we are,We are all humans who have feelings and are hurt when we see the pain these people are going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This whole nuclear stuff has definitely gone China syndrome it's impossible to tell what is actually happening at the moment and needless to say some media outlets are blown this thing up to epic proportions. Sky News Presenter :
    What could happened if they don't get this under control? Love the way the expert didn't even bother giving him the answer he was looking. Honestly, this whole meltdown a possibility headline is taking the piss at this stage anything could happe and the information most people have on what it is actually going on there is piss poor. The public BADLY needs more better education on nuclear power generation and their plants and the media need a slap on the wrists. Seriously they are not helping one bit here.

Things don't seem to be improving for the people of Japan,and as believer I will pray hard for them & the non-believers to will also be wishing the best for those poor people,we are all human and as Obama said today regardless of who we are,what race we belong to,what skin colour we are,or what religion if any we are,We are all humans who have feelings and are hurt when we see the pain these people are going through.

mmmm...if that power plant goes down,,it wont matter whos a believer sonny jim

the plnat has been leaking since earlier than they admitted,the workers have siad its completely fecked.

my girfriend is in kanagawa..she expects the worst as the govt are trying to play things down as usual.

But 1,000 time the normal radiation is a little bit exaggerated. That's what a nuclear expert said - not me.

• Advertisement

mmmm...if that power plant goes down,,it wont matter whos a believer sonny jim

lets hope they can regain control and cool them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement