Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

The Japanese military is sending troops trained for chemical disasters to Fukushima along with four vehicles designed for use in atomic, biological and chemical warfare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Live link to nhk english news in Japan http://www.foxnews.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Are you trying to be funny ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Fecking hell some expert said to forbes that this could be worse than Chernobyl.
    Can you at least spare one thread from your sensationalist nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

breakingnews_normal.png
    BreakingNews Breaking News

Correction: U.S. officials now say they offered to provide coolant to Japan for its nuclear plant, but nation declined

Aidric wrote: »
    Can you at least spare one thread from your sensationalist nonsense.

I see what you mean ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Are you trying to be funny ...

No there is a live link to nhk news in Japan on fox news, just because you dont like fox news dont take it out on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Correction: U.S. officials now say they offered to provide coolant to Japan for its nuclear plant, but nation declined

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Does anyone know of a website that shows the wind-direction around Japan?

edit: http://www.windfinder.com/windstats/windstatistic_map_japan.htm
    this is the best one I've found so far..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

SeaFields wrote: »
    Suicide mission if the reports about radiation levels in the plant are true I imagine.

Em, well nobody knows the actual situation but unless it's REALLY REALLY REALLY bad this is stuff they have drilled for and it shouldn't be remotely close to a suicide mission. It's still far from a pleasant experience tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Malty_T wrote: »
    Em, well nobody knows the actual situation but unless it's REALLY REALLY REALLY bad this is stuff they have drilled for and it shouldn't be remotely close to a suicide mission. It's still far from a pleasant experience tho.

I hope you're right. How much radiation does it take to kill you? And how much can those suits they wear withstand? Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

there's a lot of nuclear engineers in bed on laptops throughout Ireland tonight..........

I hope you're right. How much radiation does it take to kill you? And how much can those suits they wear withstand? Anyone know?
    wait till he googles it for you

Japan Tsunami hits – 9.0 Richter Earthquake in Japan! Watch and Follow Live Streaming and Real-Time Updates from following places!
    Japan Tsunami – Live Streaming:
    NHK Japan Live: NHK Japan Live
    TBS News i Japan Live: TBS News i Japan Live
    Al Jazeera Japan Live: Al Jazeera Japan Live
    ABC News Live: ABC News Live
    Associated Press Live: Associated Press Live
    Aftonbladet Live (Sweden): Aftonbladet Live
    BBC Live: BBC Live
    CBC News Live: CBC News Live
    CNN Live: CNN Live
    CCTV News China: CCTV News China
    Daily Telegraph Live: Daily Telegraph Live
    Deutche Welle Live: Deutche Welle Live
    Expressen Live (Sweden): Expressen Live
    France24 Live: France24 Live
    Khon2 Hawaii: Khon2 Hawaii
    Komo News Live: Komo News Live
    MSNBC Live: MSNBC Live
    NDTV Live: NDTV Live
    SVT Play Live (Sweden): SVT Play Live (Sweden)
    RTE Live (Ireland): RTE Live (Ireland)
    VG TV Live (Norway): VG TV Live (Norway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I feel bad for the Japanese in this situation, I'd rather they'd be the world economic power.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

Another update from the Guardian
    This is more chilling news from Kyodo:
    The cooling system failed at three reactors of the quake-hit Fukushima No 2 [Daini] nuclear power plant Saturday, the operator Tokyo Electric Power Co said.
    The company, which has already scrambled to deal with radiation leaks at its Fukushima [Daiichi] No 1 plant, notified the industry ministry that the failsafe system at the No 2 plant stopped functioning as the temperature of coolant water has topped 100C.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/11/japan-tsunami-earthquake-live-coverage#block-1#block-46

Love the guys on skynews:

"Japan is very well prepared..."

"... Not many people take out insurance."

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The average person is exposed to 2.7 mSv of radiation per year. (Three mile island was only .8 mSv). A dosage of 1 Sv (a thousand times larger) gives a 5% risk of dying by cancer. Anything over 2 Sv is getting into the more dangerous territory. 6 Sv is consider a lethal dose. Unless we know exact the level of radiation leakage a 1000 times more radiation could mean just about anything (especially given that some units scale differently).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Suicide mission if the reports about radiation levels in the plant are true I imagine.

It's 8 times higher than normal, nowhere near suicide levels yet.

Please people, if you don't know what's going on don't go mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Malty_T wrote: »
    The average person is exposed to 2.7 mSv of radiation per year. (Three mile island was only .8 mSv). A dosage of 1 Sv (a thousand times larger) gives a 5% risk of dying by cancer. Anything over 2 Sv is getting into the more dangerous territory. 6 Sv is consider a lethal dose. Unless we know a the level of radiation leakage a 1000 times more radiation could mean just about anything.

Your units are a little off:

• 1 Sv = 100 rem
    • 1 mSv = 100 mrem = 0.1 rem
    • 1 μSv = 0.1 mrem
    • 1 rem = 0.01 Sv = 10 mSv
    • 1 mrem = 0.00001 Sv = 0.01 mSv = 10 μSv
    1 mSv = mega sievert = 1 x 10^3 Sv (1000 Sv)

So the average human gets a massively lethal dose each year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

amacachi wrote: »

It's 1000 times over normal.

Going on reports: as already posted a few times already too BTW. 1000 times inside the control room area. Measured at the gate outside the plant it is 8 times over normal.

State of Emergency declared at a second nuclear plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

My comment was in reference to the reports of it being 1000 times higher than normal inside the plants control room where the workers are which cant be good but yes I see your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Or 1000 times higher depending on where you read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

State of Emergency declared at a second nuclear plant.

I'm not clear on this myself, it sounds like another plant, but I suspect it's another reactor in the same plant.

3 of the 4 reactors at Fukushima have problems, I think each reactor has a name too, but I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

gbee wrote: »
    It's 1000 times over normal.

Going on reports: as already posted a few times already too BTW. 1000 times inside the control room area. Measured at the gate outside the plant it is 8 times over normal.

A thousand times fcuk all is often still fcuk all. :)

gbee wrote: »
    I'm not clear on this myself, it sounds like another plant, but I suspect it's another reactor in the same plant.

3 of the 4 reactors at Fukushima have problems, I think each reactor has a name too, but I'm not sure.

No I think it is a seperate plant, they have similar names though. Fukushima Daiichi and Fukushima Daini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You might view it as slightly more than **** all if you weren't quite so far away from danger...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement