Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Holy crap, just logged on to find about 500 PMs asking if I'm still alive :p (for anyone asking, I'm OK; sorry about the delay getting online and back to you - my laptop was one of the casualties of the quake...)

Interesting to see how international the incident has become (it's kind of hard to gauge how much impact a national story has on the world when you're in the middle of it - this gives me a new perspective on the big Sichuan quake a few years ago)

Reports on the ground in Tokyo are mostly positive (considering), most local friends were more annoyed at having to walk home than anything; the most serious complaints I've heard so far have been scrapes and bruises.

Sorry if I'm rambling off-topic, still in a bit of a daze about the whole thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

FruitLover wrote: »
    Reports on the ground in Tokyo are mostly positive (considering), most local friends were more annoyed at having to walk home than anything; the most serious complaints I've heard so far have been scrapes and bruises.

That's some good news at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

my laptop was one of the casualties of the quake

thats horrible. :( .. i'm sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Japanese nuclear agency informs the industry minister that the "failsafe" cooling system at Fukushima no. 2 has failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Japanese nuclear agency informs the industry minister that the "failsafe" cooling system at Fukushima no. 2 has failed.

Back up battery's are probably gone dry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The irony ...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Out of curiousity: how come most cars in Japan are white?

And how come most vehicles look to be kinda mini vans?

Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Jesus ****ing Christ. WTF is wrong with you? I know this is After Hours, but do you understand that actual people, with families; fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, husbands, wives; have died because of this earthquake?

I haven't heard back yet from some friends of mine in Sendai and Ibaraki. That means I don't know whether they're alive or dead. They might just be yellow, slanty-eyed people to you, but they're friends to me and anyone else living here.

Do you even think about this kind of thing when you post this ****?

****ing hell, and I thought I was insensitive...

****ing hell, and I thought I was insensitive...

not a hope. just overly sensitive

quite an army of followers you're amassing. must be for having the decency to omit the slang.. oh wait; that was automated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

humberklog wrote: »

Anyone know?

There is footage that's been repeatedly shown of 100 of vehicles that were on the docks awaiting shipping for exportation. That's probably what you are seeing.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    There is footage that's been repeatedly shown of 100 of vehicles that were on the docks awaiting shipping for exportation. That's probably what you are seeing.

I've taken that into account but looking at regular street shots there's still a far higher density of white coloured cars in relation to western parts of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

they're not the one who got upset over a laptop.

why would you troll a member in here. sorry but you folk are low

iguana wrote: »

Mind you, even those ones awaiting export are white. The car's come out painted in factory colours and it's not like they're re-sprayed. Maybe there's a cultural thing going on.

I'm genuinely curious...

Anyone know?

I think the vehicles you saw were from footage of new cars in car depots that were for export, they would have all been more or less the same model. When the tsunami hit the ports the cars were washed inland (catch'em before the wholesaler reclaims them!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Mind you, even those ones awaiting export are white. The car's come out painted in factory colours and it's not like they're re-sprayed. Maybe there's a cultural thing going on.

I'm genuinely curious...
    id say most vans are white

I'm genuinely curious...

Probably not, maybe they export the same brand/colour/make cars in a bunch together, you just happen to see the white ones.

digme wrote: »
    id say most vans are white

police cars or cars that are to be used for commercial purposes would have plain white background when exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

It seems as if the engineers at Daiichi reactor are trying unsuccessfully to open the valves to release the pressure building up inside the reactor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Anyone know?

I'm on mobile so you'll have to allow me some leeway with my quoting. According to this over half of all cars sold in Japan are white or silver (with white the most popular)

www2.dupont.com/Automotive/en_US/assets/images/newsEvents/2010/DuPont_Color_2010_Japan.jpg

The mini vans are probably a result of Japan's Kei car regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

According to a Japanese Red Cross worker NHK television reported to them that they consider there are as many as 10,000 dead.
    On top of that, an entire area with a 70,000 population is now burning out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

they may be dead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Sky News just reporting 2 new earth quakes one off the coast of Japan and one near the south pacific island of Tonga.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

they may be dead

To whom are you directing that comment? Or what's it about? I've read over the last few pages and I can't see where it would fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

According to a Japanese Red Cross worker NHK television reported to them that they consider there are as many as 10,000 dead.
    On top of that, an entire area with a 70,000 population is now burning out of control.
    That area has been evacuated afaik.

Hopefully all had time to be evacuated.

its a source of sorts; 'as many as' suggests a total but i don't know what to make of it.. all we had to go by was 'over 1,000' up til now. now its tenfold :/ from a more reliable source than the obvious nothing we had prior

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

FYP! but yeah. millions instead of somewhere over a thousand, thus far

but you know the japs / sea they are conquerers of it n its inhabitants they utilize it, ponder it, look to it - n it comes and claims these lives; livelihoods. but they'll understand there's nothing spiritual involved; no hoodoo no 'what did we do to deserve this' buddhism does not permit its just the logic of the locale. which they are well versed in but there's no preventative methods for this, sadly.

Your post has nothing to add to this thread!
    Holy crap, just logged on to find about 500 PMs asking if I'm still alive :p (for anyone asking, I'm OK; sorry about the delay getting online and back to you - my laptop was one of the casualties of the quake...)

Interesting to see how international the incident has become (it's kind of hard to gauge how much impact a national story has on the world when you're in the middle of it - this gives me a new perspective on the big Sichuan quake a few years ago)

Sorry if I'm rambling off-topic, still in a bit of a daze about the whole thing...

I've bolded the reason I am about to ban Metallitroll.

Do not post in this thread when your ban is up!

quite an army of followers you're amassing. must be for having the decency to omit the slang.. oh wait; that was automated.
    why would you troll a member in here. sorry but you folk are low

You are being banned for trolling, read the Charter before you post in AHs again.
    they may be dead

Do not post in this thread again!

its a source of sorts; 'as many as' suggests a total but i don't know what to make of it.. all we had to go by was 'over 1,000' up til now. now its tenfold :/ from a more reliable source than the obvious nothing we had prior

The interview was on an Aljazera report, should still be running if you can get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

just watching it on BBC live news

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

it's incredible if the death toll is in the thousands rather than tens or hundreds of thousands

some of the videos are terrifying

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement