Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Confirmed leakage at nuclear power plant - BBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

There is a radiation leak, confirmed by Japanese Govt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

their probably would have been if land broke off and slid into the ocean.

That would typically send the tSunami out to sea, and away from source, unless it hit another land mass and reverted back inland again.

But in the scenario suggested the tSunami would have gone away from shore spreading out over the Pacific.

You know by now that the tSunami was directed at land [Japan] and whilst the backwash spread throughout the Pacific, it's effects were minimal, even for islands close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,252 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It definitely is one of the containment buildings. Hard to see the containment vessel surviving that huge explosion.

And they were saying radiation levels inside these buildings were 1000 times normal levels before explosion.

Wonder do they have any emergency plan to deal with something like this

Stay indoors, wear masks, don't eat fruit, use the supplied iodine tables, distribute iodine tablets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

@preparednesspro Breaking news: Meltdown taking place right now in one of the reactors in Japan: More info poste... http://bit.ly/gGsmLv via twitter

BREAKING NEWS NHK REPORTS DETECTION OF MELTDOWN AT FUKUSHIMA POWER PLANT #earthquake #japan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Hard work sifting through all the Chernobyl talk on Russia Today but they've suggested that iodine tablets will be distributed in the region of Fukushima in the near future. Haven't heard that anywhere else.

Am watching the BBc and they just said that Japanese TV channels are telling people to stay indoors, don't drink water and if they need to go out to wrap themselves in wet towels and wear a face mask.

I remember as a kid hearing about nuclear warfare. It really scared the hell out of me. It still does. How can nuclear power plants ever really be safe? And why in God's name have them in the middle of an earthquake belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

gbee wrote: »
    Stay indoors, wear masks, don't eat fruit, use the supplied iodine tables, distribute iodine tablets.

Anyone keep the,what I think were iodine tablets in the Orange Box's along with the Nuclear survival sheets the government sent to homes here in Ireland in 2001 I think it was?

In case Sellafield is ever damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

RussiaToday is another good news channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

And they were saying radiation levels inside these buildings were 1000 times normal levels before explosion.

IF i had to choose one place in the world for this type of thing to happen, it would be Japan (i'd rather not have to choose at all tbh, but if i had to...). They seem to be the most prepared nation anywhere to deal with this sort of stuff and i've no doubt that they have a plan ready, for the scenario they hoped they'd never be in. God help them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

This got very bad since I stopped following at around 11pm last night.
    God love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

BrookieD wrote: »
    @preparednesspro Breaking news: Meltdown taking place right now in one of the reactors in Japan: More info poste... http://bit.ly/gGsmLv via twitter

BREAKING NEWS NHK REPORTS DETECTION OF MELTDOWN AT FUKUSHIMA POWER PLANT #earthquake #japan

A meltdown, while not good, isn't a major disaster if the containment vessel isn't damaged and it can contain the melted nuclear material. However it is likely that the big explosion earlier damaged the containment vessel. Not good at all.

[QUOTE=Brenireland; In case Sellafield is ever damaged.[/QUOTE]

Not going off topic, but we've already had a fire at Windscale [renamed afterwards].

The news channels are saying they are not sure were the explosion happened.

this is worrying because if it was not a containment building they would rush to say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Jesus thats terrible you'd think they've suffered the worst after a tsunami then theres a nuclear leak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

3:45pm
    Japanese officials and experts have dismissed suggestions of a repeat of a Chernobyl-type disaster.

"No Chernobyl is possible at a light water reactor. Loss of coolant means a temperature rise, but it also will stop the reaction," Naoto Sekimura, a professor at the University of Tokyo, says.
    Even in the worst-case scenario, that would mean some radioactive leakage and equipment damage, but not an explosion. If venting is done carefully, there will be little leakage. Certainly not beyond the 3 km radius.

4:59pm
    An explosion has been heard and smoke was seen at Fukushima No.1 nuclear power plant, Jiji news agency quotes police as saying.

So it seems it'a already past "worst case scenario", and the expert is either lying or very much mistaken.

Not going off topic, but we've already had a fire at Windscale [renamed afterwards].

Ye,but according to the British government in 2002 the Iodine Tablets distributed to the people here in Ireland were of little if any use.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/bnfl-iodine-tablets-are-of-little-practical-use-502204.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

ilovesleep wrote: »
    RussiaToday is another good news channel

I wouldn't really rate RT. Very anti American. Al-Jazeera/BBC News ftw. CNN International is the worst of the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Can somebody confirm that the wind direction is heading away from Tokyo at the moment. Cheers

• Advertisement

I have to say I am finding the way that information is being dripped out quite ridiculous. Japan has just had to deal with one of the biggest earthquakes the world has ever witnessed. They have nuclear plants that look set to explode (well, one already has).

I understand that no-one wants to cause mass hysteria, but the Japanese seem to be more than able to handle the truth - and they, along with the rest of the world deserve it.

This isn't the time to save face and play down the scenario. I don't think there is any point watching the bulletins as it will be hours before they tell us anything else.

Totally ridiculous.

mgmt wrote: »
    I wouldn't really rate RT. Very anti American. Al-Jazeera/BBC News ftw. CNN International is the worst of the worst.

CNN yesterday kept saying how the Earthquake and tsunami were affecting the markets :mad::mad::mad:

Ye,but according to the British government in 2002 the Iodine Tablets
    Not really the point, we've already experienced a nuclear disaster here in Ireland.

Not really the point, we've already experienced a nuclear disaster here in Ireland.

okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I hope the winds are'nt blowing towards Tokyo and the inland areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

clln wrote: »
    CNN yesterday kept saying how the Earthquake and tsunami were affecting the markets :mad::mad::mad:

It is kind of important to note the global effects of the disaster considering we live in a global community.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,252 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

One good thing seems to be wind direction seems to be away from land. If it was towards a large population would be lot worse

Can somebody confirm that the wind direction is heading away from Tokyo at the moment. Cheers

Independent Weather forecast is saying wind would be pushing it towards the sea.

but depending on contamination levels it is possible this will affect the entire Globe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

clln wrote: »
    but depending on contamination levels it is possible this will affect the entire Globe.

so take the iodine tabs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Christ, just saw the video of the explosion at the nuclear plant now on the BBC....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement