Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Is there any word from the South Pacific islands does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Can someone give me a link to CNN that works?

Google?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Iodine is fine for preventing radioactive I-131 being absorbed by the thyroid, but will do nothing to prevent the Cesium-137 being absorbed into the bones.

God help the poor Japanese people...

What happens if people absorb these substances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

ilovesleep wrote: »
    It gets worse and worse for them.
    First earthquake, then
    tsunami
    nuclear problems
    dam breaking
    big aftershocks
    volcano erupting

My heart goes out to them.

Has there been a book of condolences opened here for us to sign?

Really? Skynews says nothing about any volcano erupting ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Possibly Shinmodake which errutped last month?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Jesus christ just woke up, i thought someone said last night that a nuclear plant cant explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Depends on the level of the radiation. It could range from nothing to anything to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

as far as i know they die, how quickly depends on how much they are exposed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Jesus christ just woke up, i thought someone said last night that a nuclear plant cant explode.

It can't go off like a nuclear explosion.

it cant cause a nuclear explosion

• Advertisement

It's nearly 2:30pm in the afternoon ... christ man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

There has been 84 aftershocks after the earthquake :eek:

PeakOutput wrote: »

God help them.

Can I ask what is cesium-137? How does absorbing it into bones result in death?

God help them.

Can I ask what is cesium-137? How does absorbing it into bones result in death?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesium-137

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

ollie1 wrote: »
    There has been 84 aftershocks after the earthquake :eek:

Yeah; the mother in law didn't get any sleep with the constant shocks. Not too much damage in the house; a few broken cups and fallen CDs. During the intial quake, she held onto her new telly to stop it falling over; bless her.

There was a mention of it here earlier in the thread, or maybe it was over on politics.ie that volcanos has erupted
    2 in russia,
    1 in indonesia
    1 in japan

Not true. Exposure to radiation doesn't necessarily mean death, or even illness for that matter. :)

There was a mention of it here earlier in the thread, or maybe it was over on politics.ie that volcanos has erupted
    2 in russia,
    1 in indonesia
    1 in japan

I blame heightened levels of solar neutrinos.

old hippy wrote: »
    Yeah; the mother in law didn't get any sleep with the constant shocks. Not too much damage in the house; a few broken cups and fallen CDs. During the intial quake, she held onto her new telly to stop it falling over; bless her.

Bless her indeed. She knows where her priorities lie. Tell her I said hi and thinking of them all. Lots of love from ilovesleep

Malty_T wrote: »
    Not true. Exposure to radiation doesn't necessarily mean death, or even illness for that matter. :)

We are exposed it radiation in large amounts every day, you're exposed to radiation just standing in front of an ordinary fire. The severity of radiation depends on the element it radiates from.

• Advertisement

I blame heightened levels of solar neutrinos.

Ha ha.
    Jokes aside, large earthquakes do tend to trigger other earthquakes and volcanoes across the globe.

Ha ha.
    Jokes aside, large earthquakes do tend to trigger other earthquakes and volcanoes across the globe.

That ain't a joke, the sun is reaching a solar maximum, one of the largest in a long time according to experts. Solar activity is increasing every month. The earth is subject to a natural amount of these particles but more so during solar maximums every 11/12 year. Since this solar maximum will be greater we should expect an abnormal level of exposure.

yes but is it not correct to say that exposure to those sources of radiation usually does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Yes, better broadband services and such...
    ... but that's a topic for any other thread.

Care to give an example please?

That ain't a joke, the sun is reaching a solar maximum, one of the largest in a long time according to experts. Solar activity is increasing every month. The earth is subject to a natural amount of these particles but more so during solar maximums every 11/12 year. Since this solar maximum will be greater we should expect an abnormal level of exposure.

I still think you're being sarcastic apologies if I'm wrong. How exactly would an almost massless non interacting particle cause more earthquakes and volcanoes to erupt?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

From the BBC News:
    1459: At least three residents evacuated from a town near quake-hit Fukushima No. 1 plant have been exposed to radiation, both Kyodo and NHK report

One wonders how much though . . .

yes but is it not correct to say that exposure to those sources of radiation usually does?

Nope it's still incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

can anyone bring me up to speed?
    was watching bbc news at 4.30am last night.. dont know whats deleveloped since then.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

You don’t have to be a nuclear scientist to understand that an explosion in a nuclear power plant is a potentially serious disaster at the best of times.

When it happens in the midst of post tsunami chaos, its a major catastrophe heaped on top of what the Japanese are having to cope with already.

I fail to understand the motivation of those who are trying to play it down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

I presume you're joking, but if not, they expected this maximum to be a big one several years ago, not anymore though. Current activity absolutely is nothing unusual and projections are for the maximum to now be the lowest in decades
    Solarcycle.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement