Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

The quake has moved Japan 8 feet to the east. Also has moved the earth on its axis by 10 inches. Same thing happened with the 2004 tsunami in Indonesia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

That puts it at one greater on the INES scale than the 3 Mile Island incident and on a par with the various Sellafield incidents, but a lot less than the INES 7 that was Chernobil.

Three mile island was a 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

1. 1602: US nuclear expert Joseph Cirincione tells CNN that the full picture of what is happening at the Fukushima No. 1 reactor has yet to emerge: "The big unanswered question here is whether there's structural damage to this facility now. We saw the explosion early this morning. Are there other structural damages that may make a meltdown all but inevitable? We don't have any information from the power company on that."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

FFS, just start another thread.

Alright, we both know you were wrong, no need to get upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

nuxxx wrote: »
    Alright, we both know you were wrong, no need to get upset.

I'm not wrong, it's just inappropriate for this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Malty_T wrote: »
    Yeah I seriously hope they had a good reason for doing so, because it seems an appalling decision. They vent some steam, but it appears not near enough. All I can do is hope and trust that those people on the ground know their plant quite well and that they were not swayed by fears of the perception of releasing some radioactive vapour.

If the pressure vessel was to blow does that not expose core to the outside world trough connecting pipes , and looking a the video of the explosion what else could cause such a big explosion,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

roryc1 wrote: »
    If the pressure vessel was to blow does that not expose core to the outside world trough connecting pipes , and looking a the video of the explosion what else could cause such a big explosion,

I'd assume there'll be innumerable valves etc. along the pipes to prevent that.

I'm not wrong, it's just inappropriate for this thread.

You brought it up in the first place and made a ridiculous smug and false claim, now your trying to brush it off when someone questioned you on it. Whatever buddy

Sorry for ranting here to other people. I`ll stop now.

Back on topic, this is a really moving picture taken from RTE.ie,

000456e6-314.jpg

1316: Noriyuki Shikata, deputy cabinet secretary for public relations for the Japanese prime minister tweets: "Blast was caused by accumulated hydrogen combined with oxygen in the space between container and outer structure. No damage to container."

I've heard quite a few experts on various channels say the same thing. Hydrogen explosion.

nuxxx wrote: »
    You brought it up in the first place and made a ridiculous smug and false claim, now your trying to brush it off when someone questioned you on it. Whatever buddy

Sorry for ranting here to other people. I`ll stop now.

Back on topic, this is a really moving picture taken from RTE.ie,

000456e6-314.jpg

Eh no, Dublin has the greatest population, the greatest concentration of people and an invariable consequence of this would be a greater availability of wireless broadband. Now get real and get back on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If the pressure vessel is gone then the reactor core is exposed. It appears though the vessel inside the inner containment is still intact the question is though was it structurally compromised? As for the explosion, the confinement building was a pressure cooker of trapped steam that was vented from the core, but it seems they either couldn't vent this steam from the building or they didn't do it fast enough for some reason or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Thrill wrote: »
    1. 1602: US nuclear expert Joseph Cirincione tells CNN that the full picture of what is happening at the Fukushima No. 1 reactor has yet to emerge: "The big unanswered question here is whether there's structural damage to this facility now. We saw the explosion early this morning. Are there other structural damages that may make a meltdown all but inevitable? We don't have any information from the power company on that."

I hope things turn a corner for the better over there soon

Picture of a town named Minamisanriku, where a reported 9,500 people are missing.....

http://twitpic.com/48sa5v

Picture of a town named Minamisanriku, where a reported 9,500 people are missing.....

That is shocking:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Time to unsubscribe from this thread methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

One plant worker is confirmed to have died from his injuries and the whereabouts of two more workers is unknown.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 83,057 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Malty_T wrote: »
    If the pressure vessel is gone then the reactor core is exposed. It appears though the vessel inside the inner containment is still intact the question is though was it structurally compromised? As for the explosion, the confinement building was a pressure cooker of trapped steam that was vented from the core, but it seems they either couldn't vent this steam from the building or they didn't do it fast enough for some reason or other.
    If they didnt vent it in time for PR reasons someone will have their heads.

I'm not sure on the specifics of a Meltdown situation though. From what I've read over this will play out like Three Mile Island but with the exception that the vessel was breached - at TMI they managed to avoid the potential for a Hydrogen explosion. That seems to have been the case though at Fukushima. In both cases the reactors SCRAM'd safely but the cooling systems failed either due to human or environmental errors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mile_Island_accident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

"According to local reports Japan's Self Defence Forces say troops have found three-to-four-hundred bodies in the coastal city of Rikuzentakata which has been virtually wiped out by a massive tsunami."

This is another town like Minamisanriku situated at the top of a bay which has funnelled the wave to cause incredible destruction. I fear there will be more horriffic news from other similar towns all along the coast north of Sendai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

does anybody know how far inland the wave traveled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

It went in as far as 10km according to news reports.

• Advertisement

It looks like a low kiloton nuclear device hit the city.

It looks like a low kiloton nuclear device hit the city.
    Given the nature of everything else that is going on can we please not equate the Tsunami damage to Nuclear-Anything at this point? Good grief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

They're keeping fairly hush hush about it.

They were going to pump sea water into the reactor - any update on that?

Overheal wrote: »
    Given the nature of everything else that is going on can we please not equate the Tsunami damage to Nuclear-Anything at this point? Good grief!

Well I mean the only other thing that could cause that damage would be a nuclear device, a small meteorite or a volcano.

Well I mean the only other thing that could cause that damage would be a nuclear device, a small meteorite or a volcano.
    Can't you just say it looks like they were hit by a tsunami?

Because thats what happened.

You don't need to equate it to anything else.
    They're keeping fairly hush hush about it.

They were going to pump sea water into the reactor - any update on that?
    My understanding is they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Topper Harley01

Oh puh-leez. His description was pretty accurate. Get real and stop being so over sensitive. :rolleyes:

Oh puh-leez. His description was pretty accurate. Get real and stop being so over sensitive. :rolleyes:
    It's not sensitivity. Theres a nuclear power plant involved in this mix that some people still seem to think will go off like a bomb.

Rather than further allude to the idea that it might even remotely be true (which it isnt) it might be a better idea not to keep putting the idea in peoples heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Can't you just say it looks like they were hit by a tsunami?

Because thats what happened.

You don't need to equate it to anything else. My understanding is they have.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

I wish they'd give us some details about what exactly they're doing right now. What temperature is the core, is it rising or falling, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Will Japan be another Chernobyl with abandoned cities?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement