Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Major aftershock just there, woman on CNN who is in Japan said it was way stronger than the 6.3 an hour ago.

Via twitter apparently 7.9

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

It could drive already rising oil & gas prices up even further as Japan needs to substitute its nuclear energy needs.

oddly enough, ive heard that oil prices have infact dropped because oil tankers en route to japan have been forced to turn around, for obvious reasons. dont know how true this is though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Cooling system failure is all I heard.

They are getting ready for a controlled release of air, serious pressure build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Malty_T wrote: »
    Yeah it's just a word that reverberates well in media "meltdown".:(

According to the Simpsons , there is always a massive explosion after meltdown

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

gman2k wrote: »
    NHK have reported that authorities have admitted that fuel has partially melted (I believe they are still talking about reactor no 1.
    This may not be new news, as it seems there is a lot of repetition going on in NHK

Aye, caesium reported melted in reactor 1 about an hour and a half ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Major aftershock just there, woman on CNN who is in Japan said it was way stronger than the 6.3 an hour ago.

I hope it doesn't result in another tsunami. Hoping and praying

sorry but no she didnt. she said she was outside for this recent one and said it seemed not nearly as strong as the one an hour ago, but that she wasnt sure if that was because she wasnt inside a swaying building with things falling all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

They are getting ready for a controlled release of air, serious pressure build up.

That didn't work with no 1, did it? I guess they don't have a lot of options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

Vodkat wrote: »

vodkat can you post the link to the twitter you are following please
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

According to The Simpsons water in the southern Hemisphere rotates down a drain in the opposite direction to the northern hemisphere. :D

• Advertisement

i dont think thats what happens, i think it takes a more literal sense, and melts down into the ground. i think if it reaches a water table... then its a different kettle of fish....

This might be a stupid question but im watching sky news and its showing footage of people being scanned for any radioactive material. I presume its the evacuated beings from around the plant, anyways what would happen to a person should radioactive substances be detected from them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Bloody hell, peoples nerves must be shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Talk of possible 7.0 aftershock just after happening in Sendai according to CNN and Twitter.
    Another Tsunami alert in place, but these alerts have been in place since Fri, but have been downgraded from time to time according to NHK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't result in another tsunami. Hoping and praying

8.8 is like 8-9 times more powerful than 7.9
    still it could worsen the large waves

There is a swarm of quakes at the moment. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/10/145_40.php

whitemocha wrote: »
    vodkat can you post the link to the twitter you are following please
    thanks

Im on the results page on #prayforjapan reading the tweets and retweets it was a japanese woman that had posted it i translated from japenese to english

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sam007

what if the far east is wiped out by the end of the night? will we "lol"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

If there is another serious Tsunami threat they will most likely have to halt pumping seawater into the reactor chambers, the like of which occurred earlier this afternoon during a Tsunami alert.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

This might be a stupid question but im watching sky news and its showing footage of people being scanned for any radioactive material. I presume its the evacuated beings from around the plant, anyways what would happen to a person should radioactive substances be detected from them?

The contamination comes in the form of Radioactive particles, so all that can be really done is to laboriously remove any radioactive particles from someone's body by changing their clothes and cleaning their body really well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

what is wrong with some people on here :( i am just assuming they are teenagers acting the ass grow up for f88ks sake this is an unbelievable situation and not the time to pull the pi22:mad::mad:

Has the magnitude been confirmed yet?? Tsunami alert in place again, athough i didnt know it was lifted!
    Fingers crossed for everyone, Ive relations in south Korea and I dont think they have been affected.
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/03/massive_earthquake_hits_japan.html
    These photos made my eyes well up!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

sam007 wrote: »
    what if the far east is wiped out by the end of the night? will we "lol"?

Banned

All this extra shaking must be making things terrible for search and rescue efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

david75 wrote: »
    Americans...and they wonder why they're hated across the world...

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/8409/1299923102166.jpg

A singularly stupid and ignorant post. If Barack Obama, the senate, the congress or the U.S. Chiefs of Staff are on those images, then you may have a point. America was one of the first to react and offer coolant, aid and whatever qualified personnel they had to help, as they did with Christchurch. I would hope that America as a nation would not be judged by these ignorant fcuking idiots anymore than I would like Ireland to be judged by you, and I'm an anti-Washington, anti-Bush rabid "leftie".

Has the magnitude been confirmed yet?? Tsunami alert in place again, athough i didnt know it was lifted!
    Fingers crossed for everyone, Ive relations in south Korea and I dont think they have been affected.
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/03/massive_earthquake_hits_japan.html
    These photos made my eyes well up!

6.1 on usgs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Malty_T wrote: »
    Yeah worse case scenario (assuming no core has already being exposed to air) is that sea bears the brunt of radioactive material.

Even worse case scenario could be that an aftershock would cause a second tsunami, except this would now be a radioactive tsunami washing all the nuclear material back onto land...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Even worse case scenario could be that an aftershock would cause a second tsunami, except this would now be a radioactive tsunami washing all the nuclear material back onto land...

That is a very frightening scenario..

all those poor people and it seems there is nothing really that anyone can do to help until Mother Nature has calmed down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

A singularly stupid and ignorant post. If Barack Obama, the senate, the congress or the U.S. Chiefs of Staff are on those images, then you may have a point. America was one of the first to react and offer coolant, aid and whatever qualified personnel they had to help, as they did with Christchurch. I would hope that America as a nation would not be judged by these ignorant fcuking idiots anymore than I would like Ireland to be judged by you, and I'm an anti-Washington, anti-Bush rabid "leftie".

If that facebook collective image is legit.
    thats fu*king disgraceful of the americans. Granted, only certain american people. Doesnt repersent tham all. But its terrible. down right terrible. That those stupid ignorant bas*rds remembing pearl harbor!!!

thats like if the english had a natural diaster and we say "oh well we were under their rule" ... terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,089 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Banned
    I thought Frada was back for a second :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement