Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Even worse case scenario could be that an aftershock would cause a second tsunami, except this would now be a radioactive tsunami washing all the nuclear material back onto land...

Ah I should clarify this then. :)

It would very likely be diluted significantly before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Even worse case scenario could be that an aftershock would cause a second tsunami, except this would now be a radioactive tsunami washing all the nuclear material back onto land...

Hoping and praying very hard that doesn't happen.

I hope things regarding quakes and nuclear problems calm down overnight.

going to bed now. Hope I dont wake to any more bad news in the morning.

To anyone with family and friends in Japan, and to the Japanese community in Ireland - Im thinking of you all.
    Love you lots
    xxx

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

That awkward feeling when you return to your ruined home only to find a Nuclear reactor has been washed up in your front garden.

But to be serious for a sec, I don't think the Tsunami actually inundated the reactor the first time, so it's probably fine. Though another one would probably halt current pumping activity, which would be bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Evacuation zone is now 20KM - up from 12KM I think? That's 200,000 + under evacuation order now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

LighterGuy wrote: »
    If that facebook collective image is legit.
    thats fu*king disgraceful of the americans.

I checked a few of the more obscure names on facebook and their names/pics came up as a match, so it's probably legit.

Its obviously hugely unrepresentative of the average american person though.
    I'm guessing if a similar natural disaster befell southern England that you wouldn't have to look long on Facebook to find a few dozen Irish people lolling about Gods retribution for 800 years/1916 etc. And it wouldn't be representative of us. Some people are Berkely Hunts unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Evacuation zone is now 20KM - up from 12KM I think?

No it was always 20 km/ 12 miles maybe thats where you got confused

I've contacted everyone I know in Japan and so far everyone's fine. It's really a credit to Japanese preparedness that things weren't more chaotic. They know just what to do in this situation.
    Though unfortunately one friend did lose their family home. They were in Tokyo at the time but have received news from their parents that the house was destroyed by the floodwaters in their home prefecture of Iwate. Sad stuff. :( It seems Iwate was one of the worst hit, since it's near the epicentre and the land is flat enough for a tsunami to race across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Evacuation zone is now 20KM - up from 12KM I think? That's 200,000 + under evacuation order now.

No it was changed to 20km already. You might be getting mixed up with reporters saying 12 miles maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I checked a few of the more obscure names on facebook and their names/pics came up as a match, so it's probably legit.

I'm guessing if a similar natural disaster befell southern England that you wouldn't have to look long on Facebook to find a few dozen Irish people lolling about Gods retribution for 800 years/1916 etc. And it wouldn't be representative of us. Some people are Berkely Hunts unfortunately.

"Pearl Harbour" was actually trending on Twitter on Friday, and what I saw sickened me. Cannot be taken as representative of the average American, but still nasty stuff nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

12 miles ~ 20km. Been like that for a good few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

from 10km to 20km which is 12 mile

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

They increased it to 20km hours ago, some places reporting it as 12 miles maybe that's why you thought 12km.
    I hope they bring the reactors under control soon, god knows those poor people have enough to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I said it before, I'll say it again about people .... but those updates by people on facebook is what you deal with in life. Regardless if they are a small percentage of americans or not. Not to mention a percentage who think the same but wouldnt be open with it (being pc)

Its down right fu*king terrible. Like, I aint mister wonderful myself. I can be a pr*ck in my own way. But to laugh and make comments of innoncent people dying!? .... ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

jumpguy wrote: »
    I find it very annoying how murky the situation is about the nuclear state in Japan - given that could easily have international consequences. Perhaps they are trying to keep the full extent of it hushed in order to prevent panic, but instead it's proving rather frustrating. I know if this had happened in Ireland I would be very annoyed at the lack of information.

Even if it's a case they simply don't really know what's happening, that should be said, instead of leaving a bunch of unanswered questions.

Seawater being pumped into the number 1 reactor...I've a funny feeling that after this we're gonna see some engineers being hailed as heroes for last-minute arse-saving. I just want to know how they pumped in seawater if the pump had failed...

If this had happened in Ireland, the lack of information would be the last thing on your mind. Get some perspective man ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

According to reports, the no. 3 reactor which is in trouble has Mox fuel which contains 5% weapons grade plutonium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

If this had happened in Ireland, the lack of information would be the last thing on your mind. Get some perspective man ffs.

You think? If this happened in Ireland at the other end of the country, information of what is going on would be pretty damn high on my list of priorities so that I knew what the possibility of a full meltdown was.

Information to the public is one of the most crucial aspects of disaster management.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

No, it wouldn't. Information would actually be one of the top priorities, I'd like to know if I'd be able to get back to my home or would it be an irradiated wasteland, just how serious the situation really is, how much radiation could I be exposed to, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

According to reports, the no. 3 reactor which is in trouble has Mox fuel which contains 5% weapons grade plutonium.

Which means.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

not sure if this is the right thread, but Citydeal are matching every €2 donation to The Red Cross made via their site:

http://www.citydeal.ie/deals/dublin/redcross/287165

Information to the public is one of the most crucial aspects of disaster management.

True.
    But in this case, with possible more quakes and other nuclear matters to follow. Before information is realised its usually carefully thought over. To avoid "panic" :rolleyes: etc.

Example,
    say we had a nuclear plant in cork and there was risk of it melting down. The government would only realise certain information if the risk out weighs their chances of handling it. Its sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

The authorities are resorting to use of sea water to cool the reactors down. This will basically make the reactor unusable in the future. Some reports are criticizing the use of sea water but I commend it - no.1 priority here is safety of the people and they are doing everything to bring the situation under control.

Last night parts were flown to the plant to aid with cooling and other containment procedures. To see the video of the quake hitting it, followed by a tsunami, followed by 100's of strong aftershocks - the fact it has not meltdown thus far is nothing short of a miracle.

Few light aftershocks this morning in Tokyo, those living in larger building will be having quite discomfort. However, the surreal thing is that from yesterday mid-morning, the expressways, most train lines, water, gas & internet has bee working in Tokyo. Food in supermarkets, while much reduced , we could get enough to last a few days. Kids are playing baseball near where I live - people here are getting on with life as normal.

My family back home cannot believe it after seeing the coverage on the media - the mention of 'north of Tokyo' has them panicked but am reassuring them Tokyo is completely fine but 200 miles away it is a complete and utter acyoloplse and what ever your belief, please pray for the people there who are left with absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

"Pearl Harbour" was actually trending on Twitter on Friday, and what I saw sickened me. Cannot be taken as representative of the average American, but still nasty stuff nonetheless.

That's interesting because don't Americans spell harbour without the "U?"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You think? If this happened in Ireland at the other end of the country, information of what is going on would be pretty damn high on my list of priorities so that I knew what the possibility of a full meltdown was.

Yes but the problem is Nuclear Engineering is far from a simple process and pegging engineers for information while they are working on active problem is counter productive and irritating. Any information that is released needs to be accurate, but the problem is media outlets cannot wait for hourly updates so they report any bit of info that comes their way without even considering the validity of it at times. Unit 3 being with out a cooling system is old old news, yet it's being reported like it just happened.
    The majority of media outlets covering this story have been nothing more than scare mongering asking "experts" ridiculous questions and speculations so much so that the amount of times I've encountered contradictory information over the last 24 or so hours is terrifying. Information to the public is one thing, but if they don't understand it and the people reporting it aren't actually explaining it accurately then the information might as well be about the composition of toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

not sure if this is the right thread, but Citydeal are matching every €2 donation to The Red Cross made via their site:

http://www.citydeal.ie/deals/dublin/redcross/287165
    Thanks for that. I wanted to help but couldnt find a way. They except laser, im going getting everyone in my house to donate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I said it before, I'll say it again about people .... but those updates by people on facebook is what you deal with in life. Regardless if they are a small percentage of americans or not. Not to mention a percentage who think the same but wouldnt be open with it (being pc)

Its down right fu*king terrible. Like, I aint mister wonderful myself. I can be a pr*ck in my own way. But to laugh and make comments of innoncent people dying!? .... ****.

How can some people be so cruel? An entire nation is in trouble for fcuk sake! Can't get my head around it.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    How can some people be so cruel? An entire nation is in trouble for fcuk sake! Can't get my head around it.

You know what the fu*ked up thing is ... give it a few days and the jokes will be making it around.

"did you hear about the japanese guy who .... ?" etc etc etc :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

bleg wrote: »
    Which means.....?

5% risk of a nuclear explosion I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

daelight wrote: »
    The authorities are resorting to use of sea water to cool the reactors down. This will basically make the reactor unusable in the future. Some reports are criticizing the use of sea water but I commend it - no.1 priority here is safety of the people and they are doing everything to bring the situation under control.

AFAIK the problem is that using seawater is a bit of a last resort and it may not work. One nuclear expert called it a hail mary pass to try and stop the situation getting worse. Sea water is more corrosive than the water they would normally use so it could potentially make the situation worse.

So as far as I can tell, it is not being criticised for monetary terms but because it may not work and it illustrates how bad the situation has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

ilovesleep wrote: »
    An entire nation is in trouble for fcuk sake!
    not trying to be annoying, nit picking, or cruel, but its really "only" the north east side of the main island that's in big trouble

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement