Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

LighterGuy wrote: »
    You know what the fu*ked up thing is ... give it a few days and the jokes will be making it around.

"did you hear about the japanese guy who .... ?" etc etc etc :rolleyes:

My aunt sent me three jokes today after the third I text back ''keep your ignorant jokes to yourself'' dont think she was best pleased with my reply, but they angered me so much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Malty_T wrote: »
    . Unit 3 being with out a cooling system is old old news, yet it's being reported like it just happened.

The fact that they are now venting unit 3 to relieve pressure is new news... exactly what they were doing to Unit 1 when it blew up.

:-/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

do not give money to the irish red cross!

Ever!

They are an absolute joke of an organization.
    Total mismanagement of money on every level during the floods in Pakistan last year!
    Give to either an international NGO or one based in Japan!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I think you'll probably find that the knock-on effects in terms of environmental damage, the flow of refugees, the grind this will have on Japan's economy (and the rest of the world's to follow - they're a big player) plus the impact on the general morale of the whole country - it's probably pretty fair to say that the entire nation is in big trouble tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

5% risk of a nuclear explosion I guess.

No no, quite impossible for there to be a nuclear explosion.

Just that in the very unlikely event of a catastropic meltdown there would be some very nasty stuff released.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

first phucket, now fukishima... is there someone up there who speaks english and doesnt take kindly to naughty sounding placenames? is termonfeckin next?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

I can see the Japanese trying to "Tsunami proof" parts of the coastline after this with huge breakwaters, walls, and berms. It might not be realistic or feasible for something this strong. But if there's any nation that would attempt something like this it would be Japan.

AFAIK the problem is that using seawater is a bit of a last resort and it may not work. One nuclear expert called it a hail mary pass to try and stop the situation getting worse. Sea water is more corrosive than the water they would normally use so it could potentially make the situation worse.

So as far as I can tell, it is not being criticised for monetary terms but because it may not work and it illustrates how bad the situation has become.

It might be a last resort effort but it seems to be working at the moment anyway. No further increase in pressure or radiation since they started doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

daelight wrote: »
    The authorities are resorting to use of sea water to cool the reactors down. This will basically make the reactor unusable in the future. Some reports are criticizing the use of sea water but I commend it - no.1 priority here is safety of the people and they are doing everything to bring the situation under control.

Last night parts were flown to the plant to aid with cooling and other containment procedures. To see the video of the quake hitting it, followed by a tsunami, followed by 100's of strong aftershocks - the fact it has not meltdown thus far is nothing short of a miracle.

Few light aftershocks this morning in Tokyo, those living in larger building will be having quite discomfort. However, the surreal thing is that from yesterday mid-morning, the expressways, most train lines, water, gas & internet has bee working in Tokyo. Food in supermarkets, while much reduced , we could get enough to last a few days. Kids are playing baseball near where I live - people here are getting on with life as normal.

My family back home cannot believe it after seeing the coverage on the media - the mention of 'north of Tokyo' has them panicked but am reassuring them Tokyo is completely fine but 200 miles away it is a complete and utter acyoloplse and what ever your belief, please pray for the people there who are left with absolutely nothing.
    Thanks for that information daelight.
    I'm glad to hear you are ok. I know it seems crazy that life would begin to normalise when such a catastrophy is happening so nearby. One thing I did remark on when I lived in Osaka a while back was the fact that the Japanese just seem to keep themselves going the whole time. They are a very determined and efficient nation. Be sure to take care and if you can at all keep us updated on events in Tokyo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Lirange wrote: »
    I can see the Japanese trying to "Tsunami proof" parts of the coastline after this with huge breakwaters, walls, and berms. It might not be realistic or feasible for something this strong. But if there's any nation that would attempt something like this it would be Japan.

would have to be some very big tetrapods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

It might be a last resort effort but it seems to be working at the moment anyway. No further increase in pressure or radiation since they started doing it.

Hope so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I can see the Japanese trying to "Tsunami proof" parts of the coastline after this with huge breakwaters, walls, and berms. It might be not be realistic or feasible for something this strong. But if there's any nation that would attempt something like this it would be Japan.

They already do a lot of that stuff. Google "tsunami walls" for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'd feel more reassured if the Japanese weren't so ridiculously into the whole "saving face" thing..[/QUOTEng

I'd rather have someone trying to save face than save dollars. At least it stems from some sort of principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'd rather if they were honest and open about things instead of pretending everything was going to be fine.

Water temperature rising in no. 2 reactor now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

sam007 wrote: »
    what if the far east is wiped out by the end of the night? will we "lol"?

Were your mother and father a pair of cnuts or did you manage to become a cnut all on your own?

Water temperature rising in no. 2 reactor now.

Where did you hear that? I thought no.2 was given the all clear? And that there were only concerns on reactors 1 and 3?

Vodkat wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? I thought no.2 was given the all clear? And that there were only concerns on reactors 1 and 3?

Jnsc is the source, via twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Were your mother and father a pair of cnuts or did you manage to become a cnut all on your own?

Banned.

Stay on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

They appear to have tried that in front of both fukushima nuclear plants... unfortunately it does not appear to have worked.

http://static.infowars.com/2011/03/i/rotator/12nuclear.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

They appear to have tried that in front of both fukushima nuclear plants... unfortunately it does not appear to have worked.

http://static.infowars.com/2011/03/i/rotator/12nuclear.jpg

Hate to break this to you but that's just a harbour wall to protect the bay and dock from normal adverse weather. They have them on most harbours around the world.

Reports that the pressure release has not worked at no. 3 reactor and now the core has been affected. They cannot feed water to it like no. 1 reactor because it uses a different system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just a close up image of the nuclear power station which is subject to intense discussion here. The containment building on the far left in the image is the one which was damaged by the explosion.

Id say it would not look pretty if a photo was taken from the same spot tonight . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Reports that the pressure release has not worked at no. 3 reactor and now the core has been affected. They cannot feed water to it like no. 1 reactor because it uses a different system.

do you think it will go the way of reactor 1 or just melt down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Well with reactor 1 they at least could feed seawater into the reactor as a last ditch attempt . . .

Where does that leave them for reactor 3, maquiladora?

No idea what will happen, I'm not an expert. It sounds like there isn't any options left to cool it down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

You know what the fu*ked up thing is ... give it a few days and the jokes will be making it around.

They're all over facebook already.

is there any way that people could avoid jumping to conclusions and immediately posting them here? Have read over the last 10 pages, and it's full of assumptions and made up situations with no explanations or evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

try minutes for the internet, about half an hour after I seen images of the destruction with godzilla photoshoped in... :(

The Nuclear problem is of serious concern, fall out will travel east over the pacific (teh best option, compared with over the rest of asia etc... best of a bad situation if it does happen.

Theres an air release taking place.

• Advertisement

Another 6.5

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement