Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

there is a guy on BBC news saying the reactors which were ok are not getting the proper amount of water and if it goes wrong it will not be good.

he said they have been telling the powers to be that there could be serious problems if a big quake hits, for some years now.

In fairness I've been listening to that same guy and wanting to smack him on the face he hadn't a clue what he was talking about. Has anyone got any actual info on the reactor no 3? Everything I'm reading is so sketchy and I've had enough of headache already today filtering the bullsh1t from the plausible and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

MOX fuel rods in no. 3 reactor exposed 3 metres above water. - nhk

• Registered Users Posts: 83,092 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://ptwc.weather.gov/ Lifted all Tsunami warnings for the Pacific at 0636 Zulu (GMT) March 12. No report of any new Tsunami waves. FOX is full of **** again apparently.
    MOX fuel rods in no. 3 reactor exposed 3 metres above water. - nhk
    Source??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

0225: The unsafe level of radioactivity at the Fukushima plant is being created by the plant's No 3 reactor, AFP says, quoting the Japanese government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Fukushima is turning into a complete nightmare. Two nuclear reactors in cahoots at the same time - has it ever happened before?

• Advertisement

No.3? All this time people have been concentrating on No.1... And what about the other power plants that are in a state of emergency.

This just gets so much worse every time I wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Now Kyodo is saying fresh water has been injected into no. 3 and situation is under control! Very confusing mixed reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

Agonist wrote: »
    When does an aftershock become an earthquake in its own right? Some of them are really strong.

It's interesting to hear about the reactor problems and I'm F5ing this thread all the time, but I'd like to hear about other stuff too, dams and rescues and vids/pics etc.

I'm watching CNN and they are saying that Japan has moved 8 feet closer to America. The Banda Aceh quake moved it 60 feet.

Also the earth's rotational axis has moved several inches.

Does that mean the GPS coordiates will change in Japan? Anything else that it will affect?

I think they are all earthquakes, in the days before the big one, there were many +5 mag earthquakes, +5's are strong earthquakes, so the 8.9 was the biggest, of many many big ones.
    take a look at this, this is only 5+ mag earthquakes, before during and up to the present, any one of these on their own is an earthquake, some are rather strong and may continue for months/years, chile still has almost daily earthquakes in the same location as this time last year.
    A 7.2 on the 09/03/2011 in the exact same area, was the start of the continuous barrage of earthquakes.
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_big.php

"IF" the earth has shifted, so many inches of feet, it wont have too much affect on gps as they've only a certain degree of certainty as it is so you won't notice any big change.
    whiteboy wrote: »
    I personally do not care so much about the Japanese earthquake/tsunami, people die everyday and it's not so eventful

Really there's no need for such a comment, if thats how you feel maybe just keep it to yourself, I have my issues with the Japanese over whale hunting and whatever, but so many people, old and young alike watching a mass of water and whatever else come through the window, the panic of a parent watching a child being taken by something and vice versa is a sad terrifying event, that maybe you'll never really appreciate until you find yourself completely helpless against something.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    NHK (Japanese channel,516 if you have Sky.) reporting live: Nuclear and Industrial and Safety Agency Official explaining the situation re no. 3.
    Can't really tell if the transltion is really poor or this guy is floundering. He doesn't seem to know what is going on or why.

They will never give the real story, they will play it down as much as possible, earlier there was "NO POSSIBILITY" of an explosion, an hour later an explosion, melt down is well under way, they are trying to cool it with sea water.

Not very reassuring.

(Reuters) - A quake-hit Japanese nuclear plant reeling from an explosion at one of its reactors has also lost its emergency cooling system at another reactor, Japan's nuclear power safety agency said on Sunday.
    The emergency cooling system is no longer functioning at the No.3 reactor at Tokyo Electric Power Co's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power facility, requiring the facility to urgently secure a means to supply water to the reactor, an official of the Japan Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency told a news conference.
    On Saturday, an explosion blew off the roof and upper walls of the building housing the facility's No. 1 reactor, stirring alarm over a possible major radiation release, although the government later said the explosion had not affected the reactor's core vessel and that only a small amount of radiation had been released.
    The nuclear safety agency official said there was a possibility that at least nine individuals had been exposed to radiation, according to information gathered from municipal governments and other sources.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/us-japan-quake-nuclear-cooling-idUSTRE72B3GI20110312

This story hot off the wire, seems thing are getting worse.

Japan struggles with nuclear reactors in wake of quake

By the CNN Wire Staff
    March 13, 2011 -- Updated 02:09 GMT

Tokyo (CNN) -- A meltdown may be under way at one of Fukushima Daiichi's nuclear power reactors in northern Japan, an official with Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency told CNN Sunday.
    "There is a possibility, we see the possibility of a meltdown," said Toshihiro Bannai, director of the agency's international affairs office, in a telephone interview from the agency's headquarters in Tokyo. "At this point, we have still not confirmed that there is an actual meltdown, but there is a possibility."
    A meltdown is a catastrophic failure of the reactor core, with a potential for widespread radiation release.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.nuclear/

I guess we can say there will definately be a meltdown, one at least.

No.3? All this time people have been concentrating on No.1... And what about the other power plants that are in a state of emergency.

This just gets so much worse every time I wake up.
    Good morning

Core No. 1 is being flooded with sea water. Not sure how effective it will be, but its working for the moment. It's coolant chamber blew its lid when the pressure got too high. No. 3 lost cooling power a while ago but it should already be at lower temps than the No. 1 but we have been given no specifics about that.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Fukushima is turning into a complete nightmare. Two nuclear reactors in cahoots at the same time - has it ever happened before?

Now, don't go drawing any other comparisons to what I say, but yes it has happened before. Chernobyl ended up with two reactors in serious sh1t.

• Advertisement

Chernobyl also had graphene/graphite shielding that burned and burned good. So once the reactor was exposed to air and ignited, Chernobyl was ****ed. It was the ensuing fire which cause most of the devastation and spreak the largest amounts of radioactive material. It burned for 10 days.

In comparison modern reactors arent built with flammable shielding. Even if a fire should break out the damage should be far lower than what was seen in Chernobyl. The biggest goal right now is to make sure the reactors remain submerged with coolant or sea water and aren't allowed to be exposed to air. If the fuel melts inside the core it's a manageable problem (same thing happened at three mile island with little incident) the only thing that really matters is stopping the system from catching fire.

Overheal wrote: »
    Chernobyl also had graphene/graphite shielding that burned and burned good. So once the reactor was exposed to air and ignited, Chernobyl was ****ed. It was the ensuing fire which cause most of the devastation and spreak the largest amounts of radioactive material. It burned for 10 days.

In comparison modern reactors arent built with flammable shielding. Even if a fire should break out the damage should be far lower than what was seen in Chernobyl. The biggest goal right now is to make sure the reactors remain submerged with coolant or sea water and aren't allowed to be exposed to air. If the fuel melts inside the core it's a manageable problem (same thing happened at three mile island with little incident) the only thing that really matters is stopping the system from catching fire.

I said don't go drawing any more comparisons.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

The buildings seemeed to have been made of wood, either that or the waves were crazy...? It is quite incredible that a whole township could be washed out, leaving just a hospital standing.

does anyone know what these building would have been made of?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

whiteboy wrote: »
    I personally do not care so much about the Japanese earthquake/tsunami, people die everyday and it's not so eventful

Wrong thread then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

1. 0232: The plant operator says the top of the fuel rods is 3 metres above water - AFP, quoting Kyodo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

6.2 depth 24km 32mins ago

Thrill wrote: »
    1. 0232: The plant operator says the top of the fuel rods is 3 metres above water - AFP, quoting Kyodo.
    Not good.

Changed signature to fact sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

Horrible horrible situation...All we can do is pray for Japan...

The buildings seemeed to have been made of wood, either that or the waves were crazy...? It is quite incredible that a whole township could be washed out, leaving just a hospital standing.

does anyone know what these building would have been made of?

Timber, allows for more flexibility than bricks and mortor during frequent earthquakes, not so good when it comes to tsunami's.

Maldjd23 wrote: »
    Horrible horrible situation...All we can do is pray for Japan...
    Pretty much, which reminds me nobody should consider any plans to travel there for aid purposes just yet. The disaster situation is still active between the aftershocks and the nuclear reactors. Most foreigners have been actively evacuating the country since the start of the disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Wow, just looked at the videos now, the poor people. RIP all that lost their lives.

Not good.

Changed signature to fact sheet.

Just noticed that you mention inflammable and flammable shielding in your sig . You do know they mean the same thing?

Thrill wrote: »

Skynews just announced partial meltdown underway, pressure building up high in the other reactor.

Japanese govt very slow on this, not saying much, maybe don't kow what to say or where it will go or end, future badly mutated humans and animals in the making as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Im not a GPS expert but the system follows geostationary positions along the equator. The Poles only affect our orientation in relation to the sun. Whether or not the system will require re-calibration im not sure but I doubt it. If earth's gravity is left more or less unchanged they should still contour to the same orbital path.

GPS coordinates will remain the same, but your house just moved to GPS coordinates that are 8 feet from where your house used to be.

Hardly worth rejigging my telescope then :)

Probably not but then I don't know how it affects astronomy. Interesting question though.
    Just noticed that you mention inflammable and flammable shielding in your sig . You do know they mean the same thing?
    SILENCE!

/fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

uprising2 wrote: »
    future badly mutated humans and animals in the making as we speak.

surely its far too early to be saying things like that!

SILENCE!

/fixed

You actually had it fixed before the dazzler had posted his post. ;)

andyseadog wrote: »
    Indeed.

Chernobyl leaked radiation for months, which attributed to those type of defects. We can't say how long Fukushima cores will have to release radioactive materials but the amounts being seen now aren't enough to even hold a candle to Chernobyl. And still far far below global levels seen during the cold war when above-ground and atmospheric weapons testing took place.

/last atmospheric test was October 16, 1980 by China. All subsequent tests have been underground by all nations.

andyseadog wrote: »

Hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Indeed.

Chernobyl leaked radiation for months, which attributed to those type of defects. We can't say how long Fukushima cores will have to release radioactive materials but the amounts being seen now aren't enough to even hold a candle to Chernobyl.

The scale of events at Chernobyl was kept under wraps for more that a week by the Soviet government.. It was only when radiation was detected in the Scandinavian countries and the UK that they finally came clean and admitted how bad it really was. There is a possibility that the Japanese govt are not admiting how bad things really are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement