Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,093 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

More on the Plutonium fuel, earlier confirmed to be MOX configuration fuel rods:
    Today's thermal reactors can reuse plutonium to a limited degree as MOX fuel. Some reactors limit MOX fuel to a fraction of the total fuel load for nuclear stability reasons. Only the odd-mass isotopes of plutonium are fissile with thermal neutrons, and the even-mass isotopes accumulate. Plutonium-240 is a fertile material like uranium-238, becoming plutonium-241 on neutron capture, but plutonium-242 both has a low neutron capture cross section, and would require 3 neutron captures before becoming a fissile nuclide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Thrill wrote: »
    1. 0419: Possible fusion in two reactors - AFP, quoting government

Ok, someone needs to explain what this would mean to me, it's beyond my understanding of the issue*...

*I know what fusion is, but how does it affect this situation?

! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

426: Japanese government spokesman Yukio Edano says radioactive meltdowns may have occurred in two reactors at the plant - AFP.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Well I took it from Zerohedge, It is possible it could be "no3 reactor" (a disaster in itself btw if a meltdown).
    /pat on the head

There there darkman. You meant well. I'll be in the megathread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭phoenix0250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ok, someone needs to explain what this would mean to me, it's beyond my understanding of the issue*...

*I know what fusion is, but how does it affect this situation?

Fission is the kind of bombs that went off on Nagasaki and Hiroshima and powers nuclear plants, fusion is another thing altogether. If a runaway reaction occurs than I will cry and temporarily be against nuclear power but it takes specific (when planned) and exceptional (like now) circumstances to happen, and one would hope the specific circumstances could never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

darkman we'll trust overheal on such matters alright it eems to be his forte. it theres the need for such a sensationalist thread title let him take the reigns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Sorry what does "AFP" mean as people keep saying?

at first post? :confused:

Read that more carefully. It's also not anything new to whats being discussed in the megathread, though its a fairly concise summary of the situation so far.

You link a very good article I must say but to summarize:

3 [1 2 3] reactors at Fukushima plant I and 3 [1 2 3] reactors at Fukushima plant II have experienced cooling problems.

No.1 reactor cooling failed early and this caused the explosion we saw yesterday due to a hydrogen buildup. the core itself was not damaged, the container may have been. Its all in the article.

No. 3's fuel rods were exposed above water earlier and may have experienced some meltdown considerations.

In total, 6 reactors (including no. 1 and no. 3) have experienced some degree of cooling problems.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »

Probably a typo. I'd say they meant "meltdown"

What. Doesn't that mean the atoms are splitting? Fusion has never been harnessed in energy production..

No idea what I'm talking about.

Overheal wrote: »

I'm also wondering about that.

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Sorry what does "AFP" mean as people keep saying?

at first post? :confused:

associated free press

What. Doesn't that mean the atoms are splitting? Fusion has never been harnessed in energy production..

Yeah I'm going to ignore that, if it was the case then we would've felt it and would hear nothing from the area for a few weeks.

amacachi wrote: »
    Fission is the kind of bombs that went off on Nagasaki and Hiroshima and powers nuclear plants, fusion is another thing altogether. If a runaway reaction occurs than I will cry and temporarily be against nuclear power but it takes specific (when planned) and exceptional (like now) circumstances to happen, and one would hope the specific circumstances could never happen.

I know the difference between fission and fusion, I know how both work, I just Can't get my head around how it is possible in this situation or how bad it would potentially make it...
    :confused:
    that's what's beyond my understanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The Japs have secretly built, being a very advanced county, fusion reactors!

I knew it all along.

The renounced Associated Press made an error!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Every panic thread on Boards needs an Overheal. He's allayed my fears several times in the megathread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Star Bingo wrote: »
    darkman we'll trust overheal on such matters alright it eems to be his forte. it theres the need for such a sensationalist thread title let him take the reigns

Fair enough, I do think a deadly situation has been underway for some hours however. That is just my opinion. I bow to superior knowledge of course.

I think a nuclear disaster is, in fact, underway and has been for many hours like I say.

I know the difference between fission and fusion, I know how both work, I just Can't get my head around how it is possible in this situation or how bad it would potentially make it...
    :confused:
    that's what's beyond my understanding.

Fusion would be terrible but I can't see how it could happen or if it did happen we wouldn't know about it for a while and the ocean would be bigger.

• Advertisement

The Japs have secretly built, being a very advanced county, fusion reactors!

I knew it all along.

The renounced Associated Press made an error!!!

Even when it was the bears I knew it was them.

associated free press

At the risk of even sounding more of an idiot. what exactly is associated free press?

Isnt all "press" the likes of bbc, cnn, nbc, sky news etc etc. Or does that mean freelancers over there reporting or something?

At the risk of even sounding more of an idiot. what exactly is associated free press?

Isnt all "press" the likes of bbc, cnn, nbc, sky news etc etc. Or does that mean freelancers over there reporting or something?
    Wiki it...

Probably a typo. I'd say they meant "meltdown"
    I dont see how you typo between Fusion and Meltdown, but ok I guess..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

ever heard of wikipedia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

darkman2 wrote: »
    Fair enough, I do think a deadly situation has been underway for some hours however. That is just my opinion. I bow to superior knowledge of course.

I think a nuclear disaster is, in fact, underway and has been for many hours like I say.

thats not exactly something that's been kept secret

everyone knew a nuclear disaster was underway since yesterday, it was just a case of whether it could be prevented from going any further or not

Wiki it...

thanks for your rudeness. rather than not getting back my question at all you do so to be smart.

thanks.
    ever heard of wikipedia.

urgh.

I got that completely wrong I think.. Fission is used in Power Plants and Atom bombs. Fusion is used in the big nuclear bombs and not in Power Plants and can only be started by a fission reaction.

Basically, I think that AFP info has to be wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Helix wrote: »
    thats not exactly something that's been kept secret

Yes but that is not the point. Has the Japanesse Gov been painting a false picture since the emergency? I think they have though I have no evidence. I am just going on my own instinct.

This is NOT a conspiracy theory or anything like that btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

some clarity:

there are different degrees of meltdown
    there will not be a nuclear explosion if one occurs, you will not see a mushroom cloud etc.

if we are in fact in a situation of a proper full on meltdown two things can/will happen.
    the core goes into meltdown but the containment shields, steel and concrete hold. this is good.
    the core goes into meltdown the containment fails and melts onto the reactor floor. bad.

That explosion still hasnt been explained which worries me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement