Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don't know if this has been posted already, but there really are no words to describe this video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12725646

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

They just showed photos/video of the guy who was found on his roof 9 miles out at sea on Sky News amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Just seen this http://twitpic.com/492666

Text under picture translates as following (according to Google Translate)

"新燃岳 erupted. 4,000 m level clouds are going up. Appears to be headed toward Nichinan Miyazaki. Please note that ash fall. The photograph is from Miyakonojo."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Don't know if this has been posted already, but there really are no words to describe this video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12725646

The link has a number of sentences made up of words that summarise the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Scaremongering or do they know something we dont?

AP reporting the French embassy is advising French citizens to leave Tokyo due to radiation fears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

PARIS, March 13 | Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:47am EDT

"PARIS, March 13 (Reuters) - France recommended its citizens leave the Tokyo region of Japan on Sunday, citing the risk of further earthquakes and uncertainty about the situation at its damaged nuclear plants."

They should know... as France derives over 75% of its electricity from nuclear energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Japan Volcano Erupts
    A volcano in southwestern Japan erupted Sunday after nearly two weeks of relative silence, sending ash and rocks up to four kilometres (two and a half miles) into the air, a local official says.

It was not immediately clear if the eruption was a direct result of the massive 8.9-magnitude earthquake that rocked northern areas Friday, unleashing a fierce tsunami and sparking fears that more than 10,000 may have been killed.

The 1,421-metre (4,689-feet) Shinmoedake volcano in the Kirishima range saw its first major eruption for 52 years in January. There had not been any major activity at the site since March 1.

Authorities have maintained a volcano warning at a level of three out of five, restricting access to the entire mountain.

In April last year, the eruption of the Eyjafjoell volcano in Iceland dispersed a vast cloud of ash, triggering a huge shutdown of airspace that affected more than 100,000 flights and eight million passengers.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/world/article965229.ece/Japanese-volcano-erupts

Actually this is the volcano from James Bond "You Only Live Twice".

Wind forecast is positive enough for the country up until Tuesday. Wind is due to shift easterly for today and tomorrow, albeit a fairy weak blow, before shifting to a northerly chill Monday night/Tuesday morning, so the quicker its sorted the better.

It is also forecast to rain... so the radioactivity will be washed from the air to contaminate the land and people rather than being diluted in the Pacific.

Perhaps that is why the French are asking their citizens to leave the Tokyo region now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

1. 1353: A state of emergency has been declared at a second nuclear power plant in Japan, the International Atomic Energy Agency has said. "Japanese authorities have informed the IAEA that the first, or lowest, state of emergency at the Onagawa nuclear power plant has been reported by Tohoku Electric Power Company," a statement said, according to the AFP news agency. The alert was declared "as a consequence of radioactivity readings exceeding allowed levels in the area surrounding the plant". "Japanese authorities are investigating the source of radiation," it added.

Btw, French embassy also said the threat of radiation was "unlikely".

Doesn't sound like know anything different then.

• Advertisement

Thrill wrote: »
    1. 1353: A state of emergency has been declared at a second nuclear power plant in Japan, the International Atomic Energy Agency has said. "Japanese authorities have informed the IAEA that the first, or lowest, state of emergency at the Onagawa nuclear power plant has been reported by Tohoku Electric Power Company," a statement said, according to the AFP news agency. The alert was declared "as a consequence of radioactivity readings exceeding allowed levels in the area surrounding the plant". "Japanese authorities are investigating the source of radiation," it added.

That was the plant that reported a fire after the earthquake I think. Wonder if its related to that or if there is a new problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

1. 1358: The Onagawa nuclear power plant is located near the town of Onagawa and the city of Ishinomaki city, in Miyagi prefecture, which was the region hardest hit by the earthquake. A fire broke out in the turbine building of one the reactors at Onagawa on Friday, but was put out. A water leak was also reported at another reactor on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Dean820 wrote: »
    http://img.rasset.ie/00045747-640.jpg

Sexy. She deserves her own thread.

Nice one Dean, very tasteful.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Nice one Dean, very tasteful.

(back tracks quietly out of thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

What is wrong with you? All that's going on, and all you can do is comment on a hot girl? Seriously, normally I brush over these kinds of comments but that kind of crap doesn't belong here. Have some respect ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

liah wrote: »
    What is wrong with you? All that's going on, and all you can do is comment on a hot girl? Seriously, normally I brush over these kinds of comments but that kind of crap doesn't belong here. Have some respect ffs!
    He is an idiot, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

That is sickening... are you scouring pictures of the aftermath for fap material? Keep your thoughts to yourself... It's quite possible that this lady has lost absolutely everything but the clothes on her back...

My apologies. No harm was meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My apologies. No harm was meant.

delete it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Pics on Sky just now of a bus on top of a building, and also of a small building on top of a large building:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

(back tracks quietly out of thread)

Don't post in this thread again.

Thrill wrote: »
    1. 1358: The Onagawa nuclear power plant is located near the town of Onagawa and the city of Ishinomaki city, in Miyagi prefecture, which was the region hardest hit by the earthquake. A fire broke out in the turbine building of one the reactors at Onagawa on Friday, but was put out. A water leak was also reported at another reactor on the site.

According to Wiki... "It was the most quickly constructed nuclear power plant in the world. The Onagawa-3 unit is the most modern reactor in all of Japan."

So their most modern reactor is also leaking radiation... does little to increase public faith in the safety of nuclear power plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I've barely seen any news updates on the hydroelectric dam situation - can anybody enlighten me as to what is going on there? As far as I have heard it will be very serious indeed if the dam's infrastructure is further undermined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

My God just seen the footage of the man found 50km off shore clinging to the timber roof of a house .

Daddio wrote: »
    I've barely seen any news updates on the hydroelectric dam situation - can anybody enlighten me as to what is going on there? As far as I have heard it will be very serious indeed if the dam's infrastructure is further undermined.

Had not heard about this at all ? Whats the story ?

mixednuts wrote: »
    My God just seen the footage of the man found 50km9miles off shore clinging to the timber roof of a house .

Fixed that for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Had not heard about this at all ? Whats the story ?

That's the question. Before the power plants took priority this dam, reportedly cracked with absolutely no details was a cause of concern. I've heard no more either ~ I'm going to take the no news analogy for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

As others in this thread have said, for all the problems we face in Ireland, when you see what's happening in Japan at the minute we really should be thankful that we're not subjected to the wrath of nature.

I've no belief in God or any of that stuff so I won't pray but my thoughts and best wishes are with the folks in Japan, they're a sturdy people and I hope they make it through this OK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Haven't heard much, bit of info yesterday on CNN that the Dams have not been properly assessed yet. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement