Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Tokai No.2 Power Station is the latest site reporting cooling problems.
    "Japan's first large-scale nuclear power plant".

http://www.japc.co.jp/tokai/english/plant_guide/tokai02.html

im assuming its age makes this a very dangerous development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

peabutler wrote: »
    Does anyone have a simple explanation for the most realistic outcome here??

Increase in cancer rates in Japan over the next 70+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I guess its good news that the Tokai reactor has been cooling already for the past 2 days and the cooling system has only failed now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Its just gone crazy now, its like the end of days over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

peabutler wrote: »
    Does anyone have a simple explanation for the most realistic outcome here??

Large Clean up following Earthquake,assistance from allies such as Britain and U.S.

Rescue teams will also continue to search for missing people.

Nuclear plants will be stabilised by Tuesday/Wednesday,some vapour released,but importantly situation will be stabilized.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Topper Harley01

I'm purely just throwing this out there, and I'm not a conspiracy theorist of any kind, so I ask you to consider this rationally before posting a reply.

With all the system failures that seem to be happening, is there a possibility that there might be some sort of sabotage at play here? A STUXNET type virus, for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I guess its good news that the Tokai reactor has been cooling already for the past 2 days and the cooling system has only failed now?

But it has failed now, which could cause problems now.

With all the system failures that seem to be happening, is there a possibility that there might be some sort of sabotage at play here? A STUXNET type virus, for example?

you mean moreso than the huge earthquake and 100+ strong aftershocks, plus the massive wave of fast moving destructive water that engulfed the country?

yeah, more likely to be a malicious, targetted computer virus for sure

ilovesleep wrote: »
    But it has failed now, which could cause problems now.

dont they take 2-3 days to cool down regularly though? meaning that it's going to be nowhere near as hot as the other ones, and therefore should theoretically be much easier to get under control?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Tokai No.2 Power Station is the latest site reporting cooling problems.
    "Japan's first large-scale nuclear power plant".

http://www.japc.co.jp/tokai/english/plant_guide/tokai02.html

This means that four out of the five nuclear plants on the east coast of Japan have issues.... and Tokai is only 115km from the center of Tokyo.

Not looking good at all as the wind is due to blow onshore tomorrow accompanied by rain, which will wash the radioactivity onto the land and people.

• Advertisement

I'm purely just throwing this out there, and I'm not a conspiracy theorist of any kind, so I ask you to consider this rationally before posting a reply.

Sabotage - i doubt it. They had a massive earthquake, followed by a tsunami, followed by aftershocks.

Helix wrote: »
    dont they take 2-3 days to cool down regularly though? meaning that it's going to be nowhere near as hot as the other ones, and therefore should theoretically be much easier to get under control?

I wouldn't know really

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/last30.html

Could this be true? i'we no clue about earthquakes and im just wondering could there be that many aftershocks?

Darius.Tr wrote: »

Could this be true? i'we no clue about earthquakes and im just wondering could there be that many aftershocks?

Yeah. Big quakes have a lot of aftershocks.

140_40.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

And they are happening every few minutes...thats just terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

The music sky news is playing with that little add thing they put together evey time they go to an add break, anyone else finding this a bit tasteless :confused: and that backdrop of the nuke going off in a city or some thing. Who the hell thought of this ****. Like they have some emo teenage kid setting up the set.

Good news : Tokai reactor is still cooling down, only one pump failed. Not too serious there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Good news : Tokai reactor is still cooling down, only one pump failed. Not too serious there.

very good news, hopefully its the turn we have been waiting for (I know its early days)

good mews is so much better than bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

This is a ground video as the tsunami came in very scary!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S35Q5-XPLo0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,098 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Daddio wrote: »
    You mean the folks with a degree in nuclear physics from the University of Wikipedia? :rolleyes:
    I will go off what I learned in Physics and what I can learn from information sources. You really just have to know what you're looking for. I really don't imagine the information is inaccurate when it comes to radiation exposure, critical mass, or the details of what happened at Three Mile Island or at Chernobyl. The argument against Wikipedia is old and tired.

I yield the floor to real physicists or to anyone who thinks I have provided false or misleading information and more importantly can demonstrate it. Personally I thought I was doing a better job than linking to astronomer loonies and conspiracy theories about man-triggered quakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Sky news just reported on some good news stories from Japan. An old man was found 15km out at sea floating on the roof of his house. He is in hospital now, he's grand apparently.

Dear god, Its impossible to even think of the scale of the disaster that this is, even in a years time there will be people who's lives will still be utterly ruined by this.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Overheal wrote: »
    I will go off what I learned in Physics and what I can learn from information sources. You really just have to know what you're looking for. I really don't imagine the information is inaccurate when it comes to radiation exposure, critical mass, or the details of what happened at Three Mile Island or at Chernobyl. The argument against Wikipedia is old and tired.

I yield the floor to real physicists or to anyone who thinks I have provided false or misleading information and more importantly can demonstrate it. Personally I thought I was doing a better job than linking to astronomer loonies and conspiracy theories about man-triggered quakes.
    I wouldn't take his comment personally. I have gained a huge amount of information about what is happening from reading your posts, so thanks for that. I think at this stage, nobody could even hazard a guess at what is going to be the likely outcome because the situation changes so rapidly. Keep the info coming!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Sky news just reported on some good news stories from Japan. An old man was found 15km out at sea floating on the roof of his house. He is in hospital now, he's grand apparently.

Dear god, Its impossible to even think of the scale of the disaster that this is, even in a years time there will be people who's lives will still be utterly ruined by this.:(
    This may sound terrible, but everytime someone posts about that poor/lucky man, he seems to have been further and further away each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

That earthquake site is a handy one, brilliant thread..seriously thinking of cancelling my Sky sub on the strenght of this thread alone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,894 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

rebel10 wrote: »
    This may sound terrible, but everytime someone posts about that poor/lucky man, he seems to have been further and further away each time.

I had the very same thought

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

More than 250 aftershocks have rocked Japan since the original earthquake on Friday. The US Geological Survey said 30 of these were in excess of magnitude 6. Japan's meteorological agency said there was a 70% chance of a magnitude 7 aftershock striking in the next three days

• Registered Users Posts: 83,098 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Glad he's ok, that must have been surreal. It would almost be funny..

But it makes you wonder how many other people were swept out to sea that weren't so lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

rebel10 wrote: »

9 miles = 15km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

The huge rescue effort now includes 100,000 Japanese soliders, around 40% of its armed forces. International rescue teams are heading towards the region including a UK team. Tokyo's vice-mayor said 44,000 meals of crackers, 643,000 of instant rice and 57,000 units of condensed milk are on their way to the disaster area, along with 384,000 blankets and 9000 portable toilets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement