Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

9 miles = 15km.
    Yes, I know, I was actually thinking of the poster that said he was 50km out to sea. Whatever, at least he was found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Are the news channels reporting of any funds that we can donate to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

ilovesleep wrote: »

I don't mean it in a bad way,but Japan is loaded,its not money it needs,its supplies is what it need,The U.K & The U.S are sending supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Overheal wrote: »
    I will go off what I learned in Physics and what I can learn from information sources. You really just have to know what you're looking for. I really don't imagine the information is inaccurate when it comes to radiation exposure, critical mass, or the details of what happened at Three Mile Island or at Chernobyl. The argument against Wikipedia is old and tired.

I yield the floor to real physicists or to anyone who thinks I have provided false or misleading information and more importantly can demonstrate it. Personally I thought I was doing a better job than linking to astronomer loonies and conspiracy theories about man-triggered quakes.

Your information has always been very useful Overheal. Thank you.

You don’t need a degree in anything to realise that when 300,000 people are being moved 20km away from a Nuclear power plant and sea water is being used to write off 3 reactors (building costs alone approx $5 Billion EACH) that something very serious is happening.

And all this happening when resources are acutely needed to deal with a natural disaster of epic proportions due to the tsunami.

Don’t mind the sceptics who may well have an other agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

There are a few numbers here that take money by entering some text and sending it

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/11/how-to-help-japan-earthquake-relief_n_834484.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,114 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Your information has always been very useful Overheal. Thank you.

You don’t need a degree in anything to realise that when 300,000 people are being moved 20km away from a Nuclear power plant and sea water is being used to write off 3 reactors (building costs alone approx $5 Billion EACH) that something very serious is happening.

And all this happening when resources are acutely needed to deal with a natural disaster of epic proportions due to the tsunami.

Don’t mind the sceptics who may well have an other agenda.
    Agreed but a point on the reactors is some of the reactors were coming up to retirement age already. The No.1 had a 40 year license issued in 1971. It was to expire in May. The licenses might have been renewed pending inspections but after today there was just no rhyme or reason to try and salvage them. The #2 Plant was Built in 1982. However the #1 plant was scheduled to be building a 7th and 8th core in the future. cores 4 5 and 6 were offline for maintenance before the earthquakes hit.

I'd say they will set up centres where you can bring towels, bedding, clothes etc. to in the next few days. That's what I am planning on doing anyway.

rebel10 wrote: »
    I'd say they will set up centres where you can bring towels, bedding, clothes etc. to in the next few days. That's what I am planning on doing anyway.
    I would wait to see what Japanese officials actually request. Food will be one of the biggest ones I am guessing, but they've already turned down some types of redundant aid, such as US reactor coolant: the lack of coolant not being the issue at the plants but rather the pumps that drive them.

I would wait to see what Japanese officials actually request. Food will be one of the biggest ones I am guessing, but they've already turned down some types of redundant aid, such as US reactor coolant: the lack of coolant not being the issue at the plants but rather the pumps that drive them.
    Was thinking about food, but with the lack of fresh drinking water over there this may be a problem. Possibly tinned items may be ok, but the usual non-perishable foodstuffs could be problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Agreed but a point on the reactors is they were coming up to retirement age already. The #1 Plant had a 40 year license issued in 1971. It was to expire in May. The licenses might have been renewed pending inspections but after today there was just no rhyme or reason to try and salvage them. The #2 was licensed in 1982.

Some useful facts here... Nuclear Power Plants and Earthquakes
    http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf18.html

"After the magnitude 7.2 Kobe earthquake in 1995 a panel was set up to review the safety of nuclear facilities in Japan and the design guidelines for their construction. The Japanese Nuclear Safety Commission (NSC) then approved the panel's report... After recalculating the seismic design criteria required for a nuclear power plant to survive near the epicentre of a large earthquake the NSC concluded that under current guidelines such a plant could survive a quake of magnitude 7.75."

The Japanese design safety standards are well below the magnitude 9.0 which they experienced.

Also they say :- " Even for a nuclear plant situated very close to sea level, the robust sealed containment structure around the reactor itself would prevent any damage to the nuclear part from a tsunami, though other parts of the plant might be damaged. No radiological hazard would be likely."

I guess they may need to revise that sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Overheal I just wanted to say thank you for all the info you have given and all the questions you answered when the information was available,

in situations like this and a thread is created, I notice on Boards someone will be to the front with information,

its not their fault they know where to access the information required or the information they have stored in the brain.

but it sure helps other members to get upto date information and layman term explanations (the kettle 1 being the 1st to come to mind) to try to figure out what is going on.

there are sometimes times you will say you are not sure, but at least it gives us some sort of a picture,

you are never to far off the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

"I can see the radiation" on CCN NHK Live interviews with evacuees, people are afraid and one old gent says he does not know the technical details but he is afraid because he can see the radiations. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

http://www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

SnowY32 wrote: »
    This is a ground video as the tsunami came in very scary!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S35Q5-XPLo0

Wow the people who shot some of that took incredible risks to get closer
    Thrill wrote: »
    The huge rescue effort now includes 100,000 Japanese soliders, around 40% of its armed forces. International rescue teams are heading towards the region including a UK team. Tokyo's vice-mayor said 44,000 meals of crackers, 643,000 of instant rice and 57,000 units of condensed milk are on their way to the disaster area, along with 384,000 blankets and 9000 portable toilets.

Um ....why not 100% of the armed forces involved....well minus those who need to be watching North Korea that is

gbee wrote: »
    "I can see the radiation" on CCN NHK Live interviews with evacuees, people are afraid and one old gent says he does not know the technical details but he is afraid because he can see the radiations. ?
    The only thing I can think of is if he's seeing blue. Blue would be bad. Not sure if thats possible though from outside of the reactor area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation
    "After the magnitude 7.2 Kobe earthquake in 1995 a panel was set up to review the safety of nuclear facilities in Japan and the design guidelines for their construction. The Japanese Nuclear Safety Commission (NSC) then approved the panel's report... After recalculating the seismic design criteria required for a nuclear power plant to survive near the epicentre of a large earthquake the NSC concluded that under current guidelines such a plant could survive a quake of magnitude 7.75."

The Japanese design safety standards are well below the magnitude 9.0 which they experienced.

Also they say :- " Even for a nuclear plant situated very close to sea level, the robust sealed containment structure around the reactor itself would prevent any damage to the nuclear part from a tsunami, though other parts of the plant might be damaged. No radiological hazard would be likely."

I guess they may need to revise that sentence.
    I don't know what the LA standards are. Some people are saying 8.0 magnitude. But you got to remember that richter is not a flat scale. It's Logarithmic (never understood that term very well :o) but 8.0 is equivalent to a 15MT Blast, and 8.9 is eh, somewhere between 238 and 474 MT. I'm not whipping out my calculator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_scale

Magnitudes start getting wildly higher after that. I imagine they will do what they can in the future to design better reactors but it's not important today. The Plant has actually done fairly well considering how close it was to the Epicenter of an 8.9, then getting hit by tsunami waves, and further aftershocks.

Um ....why not 100% of the armed forces involved....well minus those who need to be watching North Korea that is
    I'll hazard a guess that some are caught up in the disaster, on standby for further developments, or taking shifts.

As for DPRK I'd dare them to try something funny. I bet the Reagan Carrier strike group would love to give them a piece of their minds.

It's so eerie hearing that siren. Does anyone know if places in Ireland have anything similar?

It's so eerie hearing that siren. Does anyone know if places in Ireland have anything similar?
    I doubt it, and from reading a link someone else posted here, we could be in trouble if a tsunami was to ever reach our shores like it did in 1755. Certainly, where I am, we would be in big trouble.

I doubt it, and from reading a link someone else posted here, we could be in trouble if a tsunami was to ever reach our shores like it did in 1755. Certainly, where I am, we would be in big trouble.

I would assume that any coastal area would be in big trouble if it were to ever happen?

Does Ireland have any disaster plan, bar Iodine tablets and cheese?

So wait - are you telling me all that building houses in flood planes was a bad idea ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

http://www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.html

Direct google link to Japan Redcross - donate via Google Checkout

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Personally I thought I was doing a better job than linking to astrologer loonies and conspiracy theories about man-triggered quakes.

FYP. Astronomers are actual scientists.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hi guys,

I've been afk for like 6 hours, would be really grateful if someone could give be a sit rep on the latest developments.:)

Malt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

this here too..

http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/japan-earthquake-tsunami-relief/?rf=twtr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

So wait - are you telling me all that building houses in flood planes was a bad idea ?

poor FF and FG councillours, how were they supposed to know floods happened in Ireland :)

Malty_T wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've been afk for like 6 hours, would be really grateful if someone could give be a sit rep on the latest developments.:)

Malt

Sky news been repeating the same stories over and over for about that time so I'm sure if you switched to them for ten minutes you would see a complete cycle and be up to date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

iguana wrote: »
    FYP. Astronomers are actual scientists.

deleted

I would assume that any coastal area would be in big trouble if it were to ever happen?

Does Ireland have any disaster plan, bar Iodine tablets and cheese?
    From my reading of the link, the south and extreme north would be the areas most at risk. To be honest, I would have to re-read the link to understand fully why, I think Galway would suffer minor flooding because of its geographical location, Dublin obviously would not be at risk due to its location. They were talking about reports from the time claiming that about one thousand people were killed in Kinsale alone in the 1755 one. Cetainly some sort of plan should be put in place. I don't think a wall of cheese could hold back the force of water. Especially emmental!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

sarcasm rocks!

plains not planes though..

• Advertisement

Or perhaps building a city on several small islands or marshland!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement