Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

I've been surprised at the lack of news specials covering this on television. I know there are rolling news channels like News 24 and Sky News but for the Tsunami a few years ago most channels went big with it with news specials throughout the day. And even for Katrina too.

But for this disaster it is largely being left to the regular bulletins. I'm listening to BBC 5 Live at the moment which is providing excellent coverage of the disaster.
    Hi, Been out for most of the day so missed the news and want to catch up. Is BBC 5 live a radio channel or its there a live stream for me to watch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

hmmm wrote: »
    I've just been reading that the plate that this earthquake occurred on was not considered a likely place for an earthquake of this magnitude. The plate that runs nearer to the South West of Tokyo is considered the most dangerous, and this quake will have had an effect on that plate - good or bad effects is the question.

So, is there a possibilty of another strong earthquake?

I know people here wrote that the japanese are a well prepared and strong willed people and that they can overcome this? How can that be? So much damage has happened to their country and there is more on the way. How much do they have to go through? Its horrific. God help them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Vodkat wrote: »
    Hi, Been out for most of the day. Is BBC 5 live a radio channel or its there a live stream for me to watch?

It is a radio station.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/

Or you can tune it into Sky boxes as one of the other channels:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

BBC Radio 5 Live 10.803 H 22000 5/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I did a quick check -- not sure whether this has been posted already. New footage, some of the most horrifying I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Wow, just read this about the Onagawa plant.
    The area around the plant was hit very hard by the tsunami and around 200 homeless people are sheltering in the power plant's administration building. Radiation levels there are normal.

I'd imagine this was the case at other plants too, and possibly why the number of 160 was expected to be exposed to radiation at Fukushima. Taking refuge in a Nuclear Power Plant in time of a disaster paints quite the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Malty_T wrote: »
    Wow, just read this about the Onagawa plant.

Brave people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Overheal wrote: »
    I will go off what I learned in Physics and what I can learn from information sources. You really just have to know what you're looking for. I really don't imagine the information is inaccurate when it comes to radiation exposure, critical mass, or the details of what happened at Three Mile Island or at Chernobyl. The argument against Wikipedia is old and tired.

I yield the floor to real physicists or to anyone who thinks I have provided false or misleading information and more importantly can demonstrate it. Personally I thought I was doing a better job than linking to astronomer loonies and conspiracy theories about man-triggered quakes.
    Heh, I was being facetious when I said that, and was not referring to anybody in particular. In fact I was enjoying your updates tbh as they're decidedly more informative than most alarmist news sites that want to you to believe we were on the brink of a global nuclear holocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

ilovesleep wrote: »
    So, is there a possibilty of another strong earthquake?
    Well like California the people have Japan have long feared "the big one". Both know a major earthquake is coming yet they get on with their lives.

The plate South West of Tokyo was considered the likely location for the Japanese "big one" as stress has been building there for centuries. It appears that that threat remains, the recent earthquake wasn't expected (at least not one as big). Hopefully some geologists will explain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Sorry if this has been posted before. Apparently this quake was 8,000 times stronger than the Christchurch one! Can hardly get my head round that.
    Explanation of Richter Scale on wikipedia.

The richter scale isn't used any more though it it often incorrectly referred to in the media. The Moment magnitude scale is what is used these days. (I knew those earthquake engineering classes I took would come in handy some day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Has anyone heard anything about Kesennuma which is the city nearest the location of the quake? It has 73,000 inhabitants and I just heard BBC say they haven't been able to reach it yet. Don't know if that's just BBC or whether they mean the rescuers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

What's the story with the volcano? Eruption looks fairly run-of-the-mill from what I can see, but I don't know how active it may usually be or get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Japanese govt says more than 46,000 structures damaged by quake, tsunami; 5,700 have collapsed - NHK

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Brave people!

Desperate people.

BreakingNews Breaking News

Japanese govt says more than 46,000 structures damaged by quake, tsunami; 5,700 have collapsed - NHK http://bit.ly/ie34Qx

Incredible figures in the link but 5,700 seems very low compared to what we have seen on some of the images posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

More footage in hd 15mins long from the air, quiet hard to watch:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3K1w7u04Zo

hmmm wrote: »
    Well like California the people have Japan have long feared "the big one". Both know a major earthquake is coming yet they get on with their lives.

The plate South West of Tokyo was considered the likely location for the Japanese "big one" as stress has been building there for centuries. It appears that that threat remains, the recent earthquake wasn't expected (at least not one as big). Hopefully some geologists will explain ;)

Never knew that california was prone to earthquakes. As far as i know california was hit hard economically and the state is bankrupt. Things will not be good for them when a quake hits. Its pretty amazing from california how they can continue as normal living with such a massive threat.

Im amazed at the japanese altogether. complete destruction in parts of their country and from reading some posts here they, in healthy places, can resume back to normality quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Never knew that california was prone to earthquakes.

seriously? they are always talking about the next big quake (after San Francisco in the early 1900s).. the San Andreas fault is probably the most famous in the world

they take precautions like Japan (eg, the huge LA city hall was lifted and put on dampers)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

I hope this all clears up,I hope many missing people are found,I hope no more hearts are broke,and that no more Earthquakes occur,I hope more countries go to Japan's Aid,I hope the nuclear situation stabilizes,I hope these people can somehow & Someday get their lives back on track and rebuild and become Stronger,This can only make them Stronger,Hope can make Japan become back a greater place.

Heartbreaking family stories of those taken by the Tsunami in tomorrow's Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/13/japan-earthquake-tsunami-survivors-grief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Glad to read that the Chinese rescue team has arrived since yesterday and are helping out with finding survivors - first time a Chinese rescue team in Japan.

Just like that American facebook page posted back some time ago unfortunately there are those in China who delight in Japan's misfortune... but they seem to be in the minority this time. Hopefully something good can come out of this tragedy - in the end - our mortality kinda puts all our grievances into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Sorry if this is a repost

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bf7_1300026182&p=1

This is a great video. Scary stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Glad to read that the Chinese rescue team has arrived since yesterday and are helping out with finding survivors - first time a Chinese rescue team in Japan.

Just like that American facebook page posted back some time ago unfortunately there are those in China who delight in Japan's misfortune... but they seem to be in the minority this time. Hopefully something good can come out of this tragedy - in the end - our mortality kinda puts all our grievances into perspective.

Here here,very well said,we are all one in the end,we all have a heart.

I hope this all clears up,I hope many missing people are found,I hope no more hearts are broke,and that no more Earthquakes occur,I hope more countries go to Japan's Aid,I hope the nuclear situation stabilizes,I hope these people can somehow & Someday get their lives back on track and rebuild and become Stronger,This can only make them Stronger,Hope can make Japan become back a greater place.

+1 to this

R.I.P to all who have lost their lives. Condelences to all their family and friends and to the people of Japan. Thinking of you all. Sending all my love xxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

taking the weather into consideration as cold n wet don't go well together, don't we know.. its 7c now but its only set to drop. looking at 6C/-1C thursday. keeping in mind those already perished in it you don't want to be cold, wet n trapped.

SnowY32 wrote: »

The water was just travelling inwards to land and there was just no stopping it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

jesus christ.. that is the closest thing to a monster you'll get on this planet :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Considering the strength of the earthquake and the tsunami that hit afterwards, I am amazed that there are not more deaths.

Even one death is one too many, buy it looks like a heck of a lot more people could have been killed.
    Between Haiti, New Zealand and Japan we can see the utter devestation that these events bring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

Madness!! :eek::eek::eek:

I cant stop watching it because you can just sense thats its just the start.It looks like a sign to me of worse things to come.

There was just a quick interview on Sky News with a French woman in Tokyo.

She was saying that they are being told that they are expecting another earthquake on the same scale of Friday with a probability of 70% within the next 48 hours

French embassy are advising them to leave Tokyo asap.

Good luck to them all.

What an absolute nightmare situation.

• Advertisement

Squall19 wrote: »

I cant stop watching it because you can just sense thats its just the start.It looks like a sign to me of worse things to come.

There was just a quick interview on Sky News with a French woman in Tokyo.

She was saying that they are being told that they are expecting another earthquake on the same scale of Friday with a probability of 70% within the next 48 hours

French embassy are advising them to leave Tokyo asap.

Good luck to them all.

What an absolute nightmare situation.

Has ireland warned the irish there to leave?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement