Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

NHK have a camera pointed at the ocean. Reporting 5m sea level change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

its all happening.. n that plant can't take any more, for sure - i wish this would end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It looks like No. 3 reactor building has exploded.

Smoke or steam rising from the shell of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Sky now reporting an explosion at Fukushima plant.

Can this be any worse?

That's probably the steam venting hydrogen explosion similar to what happened to at Unit I. Yes this can get much much worse another tsunami is on route and that could knock out structures that were already on the brink.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gary223

Was the tsunami in Thailand as bad as this back in 2004? This seems a whole lot more dangerous given the nuclear power plants and such.

• Advertisement

Reports of hydrogen explosion in reactor 3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

NHK saying this is an hydrogen explosion. Anyone know what that means?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Jaysus this is like a apocalypse.

Hopefully the explosion has not damaged the reactor.

From the pictures I'm seeing, the outer walls appear to be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

BreakingNews: AP: Gray smoke spotted at stricken Fukushima Dai-ichi reactor

BBC - An estimated 3m (10ft) tsunami has been seen off the north-east coast of Japan by helicopter and could strike within minutes

Jesus :(

No tsunami detected- nhk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

This is surreal. I'm sitting in comfort at home watching as another tsunami races towards the Japanese coast. It's hard to know what to make of such a situation. Part of me wants to turn over and not continue watching. I almost feel a sense of guilt for watching.

EDIT: According to the spokesman, the threat of another tsunami has receded. Thank God.

1. 0227: There were two explosions at Reactor 3, the operator Tepco says - AFP.

This is confusing.

Why have the waters shifted back 5m if there is no tsunami coming?

NHK saying this is an hydrogen explosion. Anyone know what that means?

Same as what happened with No. 1 reactor. Fuel was exposed and probably started melting producing a buildup of hydrogen inside the building which ignited. They were warning this could happen. Lets just hope the explosion hasnt damaged the protective case of the reactor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Japan Met Office now saying no tsunami on its way. And explosion at Fukushima was a Hydogen blast, similar to yesterdays blast at the same plant.

No tsunami detected, no quake detected that would trigger one according to Japanese Met on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This is confusing.

Why have the waters shifted back 5m if there is no tsunami coming?

Hopefully they can clarify this asap. Water doesn't always recede for tsunamis anyways. This is looking like false information about the tsunami.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

No tsunami detected, no quake detected that would trigger one according to Japanese Met on TV.

thank f*ck for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

They cannot confirm if there is a radiation leak following the explosion at No.3 reactor.

1. 0232: Update on the explosion(s) at Reactor 3: "We believe it was a hydrogen explosion. It is not immediately known if it affected the reactor" - nuclear safety agency spokesman Ryo Miyake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

how can there be such contrary reports about something visible like a tsunami wave approaching shore and quickly receding sea levels? Ridiculously bad journalism

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Calm down people.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Hopefully they can clarify this asap. Water doesn't always recede for tsunamis anyways. This is looking like false information about the tsunami.
    Thankfully.

Seems like a case of panic getting out of hand.

Those poor folks on the coast. I bet they didn't need that jolt of adreneline.

What a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Jaysus this is like a apocalypse.

If i was envisioning the end of the world, it would be exactly like this. How the hell are people coping with all this. If this was our country, i know i would be scared ****less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Helix wrote: »
    how can there be such contrary reports about something visible like a tsunami wave approaching shore and quickly receding sea levels? Ridiculously bad journalism

Tsunamis are hard to detect, they can travel through water as barely a ripple before they get to land and get big.

• Advertisement

The damage to reactor 3 looks similar to that of the first reactor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement