Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

Andrew; I think they were showing it on here a minute ago;

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-world-tv

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

amacachi wrote: »
    Well that's my evening ruined.

It's easy to be snide, but the last thing the Japanese need right now is jittery markets affecting the economy and adding to their woes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Jesus!

That one looks way more violent than the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

They're showing it on the sky stream posted above right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

pictures of the other plant blowing its top combined with news of 2,000 found on the shores of miyagi prefecture makes for one depressing experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Explosion was felt 30 miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

Live on http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-world-tv

also Al Jaz http://www.youtube.com/user/AlJazeeraEnglish

Malty_T wrote: »
    Water doesn't recede for tsunamis anyways.

Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I just hope that the Japanese authorities are telling the truth.

They have a history of denying the extent of disasters (their bank crisis was manageable for example).
    This is no time for "face saving" by their government.

Jesus!

That one looks way more violent than the last one.

That's why I was asking how much of a beating they can take!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Einhard wrote: »
    It's easy to be snide, but the last thing the Japanese need right now is jittery markets affecting the economy and adding to their woes.
    It was obviously going to collapse.
    Wrong.
    Yes, you are.

• Advertisement

hinault wrote: »
    I just hope that the Japanese authorities are telling the truth.

They have a history of denying the extent of disasters (their bank crisis was manageable for example).
    This is no time for "face saving" by their government.

I doubt that they're trying to save face. Any lies now will come out pretty quickly. They have a responsibility not to create mass panic though.

S'posedly American choppers have recorded radiation 60km away from the plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Still not much word on the Volcano? Was mentioned in passing that a big area is being evacuated.

It was obviously going to collapse.

Don't be a bloody ass. I'm relaying some information on what's going on. It was of interest to me, and probably to other people too. You don't think so? Fine. Don't read it. Ignore it. Just don't make snide comments.

I doubt that they're trying to save face. Any lies now will come out pretty quickly. They have a responsibility not to create mass panic though.

S'posedly American choppers have recorded radiation 60km away from the plant.

You should familiarise yourself with their social customs - everything about their society and government is predicated upon conformity and saving face.

They will lie in order to save face and maintain conformity.
    That is their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Me thinks a meltdown is on the cards.. That plant can't take much more at this stage.

Really is just a matter of time now, I feel for these people. The sad part for me is the fact that this whole disaster is not even over yet. It's going to take some time for these people to start too clean up this mass wipe out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Live on http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-world-tv
    me wrote:
    Water doesn't always recede for tsunamis anyways.

Wrong.

Not wrong.
    A trough first tsunami gives an early water with water receding. A crest first tsunami has no receding of water and usually hits without any warning. Luckily the majority of tsunamis hit trough first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

suspicions are arising no doubt.. that was an infinitely bigger bang. people 30mile away are fleeing having felt it resonate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Still not much word on the Volcano? Was mentioned in passing that a big area is being evacuated.

Volcano cam.

http://www.nhk.or.jp/kagoshima3/shinmoedake/index.html

hinault wrote: »
    You should familiarise yourself with their social customs - everything about their society and government is predicated upon conformity and saving face.

They will lie in order to save face and maintain conformity.
    That is their way.

Well, i'm not au fait with the intricacies of their social customs, but I know they're not robots. I'm fairly sure they know that, if they lie about a possible meltdown or serious radiation release, they'll be found out fairly soon. It's hard to cover a nuclear crisis up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Thrill wrote: »

:(

it's a write of lads...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Not wrong.
    A trough first tsunami gives an early water with water receding. A crest first tsunami has no receding of water and usually hits without any warning.

Just to back this up.

Depending on which way the plates move.

If they push up, the water will just push forward.

If they drop down, the water will just pull back and then push forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

How can an explosion as huge as that, felt 30 miles away, not damage the reactor dangerously. Incredible engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

A lot of confusion still about the quake/landslide story. The Euro-Med Seismological Centre are reporting a 5.9 earthquake off shore, but Japan met still saying it was a slight tremor caused by a landslide. Strange.

edit. USGS saying it was a 5.8 just off the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

So, there's been quakes, a tsunami, poetential meltdowns, and now the threat of volcanic eruption?!:eek: If this was a disaster movie it'd be mocked for being too over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

That was a completely different type of explosion at the nuclear plant. The people who are at the plant trying to control the problems are true heroes. They know quite well the dangers of where they are but are bravely putting their lives on the line for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

How can an explosion as huge as that, felt 30 miles away, not damage the reactor dangerously. Incredible engineering.

Or incredible lies :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I have been watching NHK world on and off for the last couple of days.. The news reporters have been acting noticeably more nervous since the last explosion. Something big is up for sure, there is no way they can still have control over the reactor after an an explosion like that, the reactor building is demolished ffs.

Well, i'm not au fait with the intricacies of their social customs, but I know they're not robots. I'm fairly sure they know that, if they lie about a possible meltdown or serious radiation release, they'll be found out fairly soon. It's hard to cover a nuclear crisis up.

I've worked over there in an earlier life.

Conformity and the outward appearance of cohesion is central to their way of thinking even in the face of disaster one must "save face".
    And it is in times of national crisis that this "saving face" becomes more pronounced unfortunately.

Yes a nuclear plant disaster is difficult to conceal. But in a society where everything is "managed", the truth is often not told.
    (to the extent that public announcements on their public transport system not only tell travellers "to mind the gap" but inform in considerable detail how passengers should disembark at a railway station for example).

• Advertisement

Pauleta wrote: »
    That was a completely different type of explosion at the nuclear plant. The people who are at the plant trying to control the problems are true heroes. They know quite well the dangers of where they are but are bravely putting their lives on the line for the country.

What do you mean when you say the explosion was different? From what i understand (which isn't a great deal tbh), both were caused by the release of pent up hydrogen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement