Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Not a very good day for Asia at all is it. First an 6.8 Earthquake hits China and now this. Such a scary thing watching on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Just managed to contact our daughter in Hawaii. They are safe and everyone is being moved to higher ground in anticipation of a Tsunami which they expect at 3:07am (1:07pm Irish Time).

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

Dcully wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, is this true?

thats what i saw on cnn, going over feilds, burning depris and everything.
    http://www.justin.tv/live_news#/w/948725776/20

dilallio wrote: »
    Just managed to contact our daughter in Hawaii. They are safe and everyone is being moved to higher ground in anticipation of a Tsunami which they expect at 3:07am (1:07pm Irish Time).

hope shes alright

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Just on sky now, a Japanese official saying they are having a problem trying to cool the nuclear reactor.

They have managed to shut the reactor down but cant get enough water in to cool it down fully yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Thrill wrote: »
    Just on sky now, a Japanese official saying they are having a problem trying to cool the nuclear reactor.

They have managed to shut the reactor down but cant get enough water in to cool it down fully yet.

That's the most horribly ironic thing I've read all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Thrill wrote: »

Well at least the Reactor is shut down. It is worrying though. Coolling systems shouldnt fail NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

looking like a 2nd quake in Hawaii ; about 4.5 being rpeorted on BBC news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

BrookieD wrote: »
    looking like a 2nd quake in Hawaii ; about 4.5 being rpeorted on BBC news?

Was mentioned, fairly inconsequential would one think and hope.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Well at least the Reactor is shut down. It is worrying though. Coolling systems shouldnt fail NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

The quote on BBC has been updated to say it didn't work as planned. I'll give the news media the benefit of the doubt on this one and say that translation and communication may be an issue.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    The quote on BBC has been updated to say it didn't work as planned. I'll give the news media the benefit of the doubt on this one and say that translation and communication may be an issue.

Well so far today Twitter has been unbelievably accurate. Its far better than ANY news station

What's the story with the clip with the big swirl, was just on BBC now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

did the japanese president not say a while ago that all nuclear plants had been shut down and there was no leaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Well so far today Twitter has been unbelievably accurate. Its far better than ANY news station
    how do i get the news on twitter?
    i seen it updating on google before like a teletex or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Big thanks to everybody on the Thread for providing updates, in work atm and cant follow on live tv.
    Horrific news and hopefully everybody will family in the pacific region is well and safe.

Seen footage before left this morning of 3 cars/van driving along a country road and a huge mudslide coming at a 90degeree angle and jsut enveloping the vehicles. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Arshnoor B .

This is sooo sad . My heart goes out to each person in japan . May God help them all ! I wish I could do something . We all should do something for japan , its such a beautiful place with such nice and amiable people ! Japan has always made this world a better place ! We all need to help them .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Watching Sky News in the staff canteen, this is horrific. At least Japan have been somewhat prepared or it could have been a lot lot worse
    Wibbs wrote: »
    It's not another Portugal earthquake that would be the problem(except to Portugal. The last one flattened Lisbon). You're referring to one half of one of the Canary islands that will sooner or later slump into the atlantic, causing an unreal wave. Up to 100 metres.

This is still very highly debated and more and more organisations/scientists/research are debunking the theory. this website gives a lot of detail (although it can be a little too dismissive at times) for anyone worrying about that!

Dcully wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, is this true?

sorry, my bad. it was 60 miles north of Tokyo, but it did say 10s of miles in land

This is sooo sad . My heart goes out to each person in japan . May God help them all ! I wish I could do something . We all should do something for japan , its such a beautiful place with such nice and amiable people ! Japan has always made this world a better place ! We all need to help them .

The **** shouldn't have caused it in the first place, save himself two jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Probably not the time to think about our economies :mad:

Yes indeed. very sorry. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Been following it all morning on Sky news.
    Terrible event. Seeing people getting washed away is sobering to say the least.
    Hope it slows down before it hits anywhere else especially Hawaii.

digme wrote: »
    how do i get the news on twitter?
    i seen it updating on google before like a teletex or something?

Check whats trending and then just click one of the trends and it will open up what people are tweeting about it. Some of the tweets will be rubbish but some will be very informing

JESUS CHRIST!!!!

Japan Issues state of emergency at the Fukushima Power Plant

That really is not good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

RT @BBCBreaking: #Japan declares emergency situation at nuclear plant, as cooler not working; no radioactive leakage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Japan has always made this world a better place !

I understand this is a tragic and emotional time, but lets keep our heads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

from Twitter:
    Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant's cooling system not working. Emergency state announced.

Is it a national state of emergency or just a state of emergency at that plant? The thing that they train regularly for and will have several back-up plans for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

JESUS CHRIST!!!!

Japan Issues state of emergency at the Fukushima Power Plant

That really is not good

A fire in a turbine!!
    They can't get enough water to cool reactor(ironic as it sounds)
    Not good at all.
    I had no idea Japan had so many nuclear plants:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

2012, its starting with all the earthquakes in asia....

Hope everyone around the pacific are safe, remember items can be replaced, life cant so hope they just be safe and get somewere on high ground

• Advertisement

A fire in a turbine!!
    They can't get enough water to cool reactor(ironic as it sounds)
    Not good at all.
    I had no idea Japan had so many nuclear plants:eek:

They have a huge population with a huge Industry so would need that many.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement