Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I was wondering when this article would show up here...

"This post is by Dr Josef Oehmen, a research scientist at MIT, in Boston.
    He is a PhD Scientist, whose father has extensive experience in Germany’s nuclear industry."

Turns out its written by a guy with a PhD in mechanical engineering and no qualifications the nuclear area... unless you count what his father did for a living.

:-/

Doesn't actually stop the content itself being pretty much bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

He is a PhD Scientist, whose father has extensive experience in Germany’s nuclear industry."

Turns out its written by a guy with a PhD in mechanical engineering and no qualifications the nuclear area... unless you count what his father did for a living.

Still makes much much more sense than all the shíte in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

This is a link within the above link. Explains it all perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Its borderline amusing how people can think they know exactly what is happening there from half way across the world. The Japanese aren't even sure whats happening. I mean did you see those explosions ??? Couple that with the radiation leaks. How close do you think people actually can get to the thing ? The full story will not be known for months/years just as in the three mile island incident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Doesn't actually stop the content itself being pretty much bang on.

"So if these radioactive materials are released into the environment, yes, radioactivity was released, but no, it is not dangerous, at all. Why? By the time you spelled “R-A-D-I-O-N-U-C-L-I-D-E”, they will be harmless, because they will have split up into non radioactive elements."

That explains why the US 7th fleet is running scared from a plume of radioactive contamination...

Yeaa bang on all right :-/

(its a pathetic attempt by the pro nuclear lobby to spin this nuclear disaster)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Japanese engineer Masashi Goto, who helped design the containment vessel for Fukushima's reactor core, says the design was not enough to withstand earthquakes or tsunamis and the plant's builders, Toshiba, knew this. More on Mr Goto's remarks to follow.

Mr Goto says his greatest fear is that blasts at number 3 and number 1 reactors may have damaged the steel casing of the containment vessel designed to stop radioactive material escaping into the atmosphere. More to follow.

Pretty ominous . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

Despite what you may think this disaster so far is providing a demonstration of just how robust nuclear power has become. Its taken a 9.1 earthquake as well a multiple 'aftershocks' and a tsunami. Basically a 1000 year event as the Japanese Seismology folks described it. And so far there have only been minor leaks and a couple of hydrogen explosions.

That's actually astonishingly minor compared to what could have happened. And this is 1970's reactor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Despite what you may think this disaster so far is providing a demonstration of just how robust nuclear power has become. Its taken a 9.1 earthquake as well a multiple 'aftershocks' and a tsunami. Basically a 1000 year event as the Japanese Seismology folks described it. And so far there have only been minor leaks and a couple of hydrogen explosions.

That's actually astonishingly minor compared to what could have happened. And this is 1970's reactor.

You may be right but this it's not really a 1000 year event. Not too far away in 2004 there was a 9.1 earthquake and a series of tsunamis that killed a reported 230,000 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Thrill wrote: »
    1. 1406: Concerns about a possible radiation leak from the Fukushima plant have sparked a run on iodine tablets in Finland, AFP reports. The country's nuclear safety chiefs say there is no need for people there to be buying iodine

And the Iodine tablets that were issued here are now NINE years out of date. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

"So if these radioactive materials are released into the environment, yes, radioactivity was released, but no, it is not dangerous, at all. Why? By the time you spelled “R-A-D-I-O-N-U-C-L-I-D-E”, they will be harmless, because they will have split up into non radioactive elements."

That explains why the US 7th fleet is running scared from a plume of radioactive contamination...

Yeaa bang on all right :-/

The US 7th Fleet will simple be carrying out whatever safety protocols they have in place with regard to radioactive contamination. Without complete access and full knowledge of the situation i imagine they are simply acting with the same caution as the Japanese government is currently acting with.

To be honest, you are completely blowing the situation regarding the 7th Fleet out of proportion, i can only assume to suit your own personal agenda. The below is direct from the Fleet in question....i think you will find they are at very little risk of producing a Hulk, or even a Spiderman.
    According to Cmdr. Jeff A. Davis, a spokesman for the American Seventh Fleet in Japan, the personnel had gone through a decontamination scrub, after which no further contamination was detected.

“They received very, very low levels of contamination,” Commander Davis said in a telephone interview with The New York Times from Japan early Monday.

“It certainly is not cause for alarm,” he said. “It is something we have to watch very carefully and make sure we are able to monitor, and to mitigate against this environmental hazard.”

The contaminated military personnel, who had been aboard three helicopters flying through a radioactive plume from a damaged nuclear power plant, had received the amount of radiation equal to one month's natural background radiation from the sun, rocks or soil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Its borderline amusing how people can think they know exactly what is happening there from half way across the world. The Japanese aren't even sure whats happening. I mean did you see those explosions ??? Couple that with the radiation leaks. How close do you think people actually can get to the thing ? The full story will not be known for months/years just as in the three mile island incident

I agree, a lot of armchair experts sitting 6000 miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

1. 1422: Japanese engineer Masashi Goto, who helped design the containment vessel for Fukushima's reactor core, says the design was not enough to withstand earthquakes or tsunamis and the plant's builders, Toshiba, knew this. More on Mr Goto's remarks to follow.

1. 1426: Mr Goto says his greatest fear is that blasts at number 3 and number 1 reactors may have damaged the steel casing of the containment vessel designed to stop radioactive material escaping into the atmosphere. More to follow.

1. 1431: More from Japanese nuclear engineer Masashi Goto: He say that as the reactor uses mox (mixed oxide) fuel, the melting point is lower than that of conventional fuel. Should a meltdown and an explosion occur, he says, plutonium could be spread over an area up to twice as far as estimated for a conventional nuclear fuel explosion. The next 24 hours are critical, he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When talking of a 1000/1000000/100000000 to 1 event or whatever one is refering to the specific location of such an event. A bit like being hit by lightening. You can rest easy that the NE coast of Japan will not suffer another 9 magnitude quake/tsunami event for a very long time.

You may be right but this it's not really a 1000 year event. Not too far away in 2004 there was a 9.1 earthquake and a series of tsunamis that killed a reported 230,000 people.

Sorry a one thousand year event in the Japanese region is what they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

You do Know what a Mechanical Engineer would study in college? :P ......

Nuclear Physics only deals with the maths, and the theory. The Reactors and power plants are designed , Built and run by mostly Mechanical Engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

this feed working for anyone? keeps throwing up errors for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Works fine in Opera

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Korvanica wrote: »
    this feed working for anyone? keeps throwing up errors for me...

Fine in Firefox (4)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

And the Iodine tablets that were issued here are now NINE years out of date. :p

I never even got mine.

Damn you Joe Jacob!!

Are these nuclear clowns still saying this is less severe than the Three Mile Island nuclear disaster ?

Only one reactor was involved in Three Mile Island without the release of radioactive gasses into the atmosphere.

The (reliable) evidence from non-Japanese sources is that radioactive Cesium-137 and Iodine-131 have been detected 160 km away.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    I never even got mine.

Damn you Joe Jacob!!

I never got any either!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Working in Chrome

kona wrote: »
    You do Know what a Mechanical Engineer would study in college? :P ......

Nuclear Physics only deals with the maths, and the theory. The Reactors and power plants are designed , Built and run by mostly Mechanical Engineers.

Lots of students do a maths and physics course ... that does make them oracles on nuclear disasters.

"Dr. Josef Oehmen, appears to specialize in a narrow area of business administration, which has nothing to do with either physics or nuclear engineering. His publications deal with risks in supply chains and with new profuct development --- two traditional areas of marketing.""

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Lots of students do a maths and physics courses ... that does make them oracles on nuclear disasters.

"Dr. Josef Oehmen, appears to specialize in a narrow area of business administration, which has nothing to do with either physics or nuclear engineering. His publications deal with risks in supply chains and with new profuct development --- two traditional areas of marketing.""

Alot of students do Arts too, what point are you trying to make? A mechanical Engineer is well Qualified to speak about what goes on in a nuclear Power plant, after all the Explosions were part of the plant that would be under the Mechanical Engineers responsibility :rolleyes:

A physics 2nd year student could give a better account of events than the gob****es on TV. Believe it or not Physics student deal with Nuclear events on their course. After all they did figure out fission

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Are these nuclear clowns still saying this is less severe than the Three Mile Island nuclear disaster ?

Only one reactor was involved in Three Mile Island without the release of radioactive gasses into the atmosphere.

The (reliable) evidence from non-Japanese sources is that radioactive Cesium-137 and Iodine-131 have been detected 160 km away.

i dont mean this in any nasty way, do you have any links to this, i would be curious to read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Bad news again lads from Kyodo.

FLASH: Fuel rods fully exposed again at Fukushima nuclear power plant: TEPCO

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What reliable sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ScumLord wrote: »
    What reliable sources?

New York Times quoting a Pentagon source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

ScumLord wrote: »
    What reliable sources?

USS Ronald Reagan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Rob A. Bank, can you explain in your own terms, what you think is actually going on in Fukushima?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement