Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Is the US Aircraft Carrier Nuclear powered?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ev84

FFS as if those poor people haven't got enough to worry about over the last few days without this nuclear threat aswell. There was talk of a second tsunami too, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Ev84 wrote: »
    There was talk of a second tsunami too, is this true?

That was a false alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

kona wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uss_ronald_reagan

judging from wiki...yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Yup:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ronald_Reagan_%28CVN-76%29

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ev84

That was a false alarm.

Thank GOD, talk about kicking someone when they're down! That would be absolutely awful...

Live translation of the press conference : http://www.ustream.tv/channel/yokosonews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If its the Nimitz class it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

The plant workers attempting to avert disaster must be a bag of nerves at this stage considering they have been at it since Friday and have seen two explosions occur. Lets all keep them in our minds.

+1. They must be in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

If its the Nimitz class it would be.

It is.

• Advertisement

1. 1552: Japan has officially asked the UN nuclear watchdog the IAEA for experts to help in the current nuclear crisis, AFP reports, citing IAEA chief Yukiya Amano.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Anyone know why the rods are fully exposed again, only a few hours ago they had the water back up to a depth of 2 metres?

They need to be able to pump water into the reactors at a higher pressure than is already contained within it. It appears that , at the moment, the coolant (sea water) is boiling off too quickly and increasing pressure inside the reactor, which in turn means they need to pump water in at even higher pressure, which they can't do because of insufficient pumping capacity.

So they need to release pressure inside before they can get more water in, hence the release of hydrogen and explosions. This allow's them to get water back in, but then the boiling/pressure/need to release pressure cycle repeats. They are just going around in an ever decreasing vicious circle.

Unless they can get a proper high pressure pumping system up and running, this is not going to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

3.29pm: Japanese officials say the nuclear fuel rods appear to be melting inside all three of the most troubled nuclear reactors, according to Associated Press.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said: "Although we cannot directly check it, it's highly likely happening."

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

3.29pm: Japanese officials say the nuclear fuel rods appear to be melting inside all three of the most troubled nuclear reactors, according to Associated Press.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said: "Although we cannot directly check it, it's highly likely happening."

Rob A. Bank,

Can you tell me what you think is happening inside the reactors please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Saadyst wrote: »
    Rob A. Bank,

Why doesn't he just pop off to Japan, crack open the container, have a look and get back to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Why doesn't he just pop off to Japan, crack open the container, have a look and get back to you :)

:eek:

From what I understand of that translation, the fuel rods were exposed earlier today because the generator pumping the seawater ran out of diesel. That was resolved and then water was pumped back in. Now what has happened is that a valve has closed or become stuck, pressure has risen and they cannot release the pressure & cannot inject more water so as a result the water level dropped quickly and now the fuel is fully exposed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Probably wouldn't be a very good idea to crack open up the containers.. we need them to stay closed, and to keep containing.

If Rob A Bank could just use his x-ray vision instead, that would be better.

1. 1611: Another four aftershocks in quick succession, measuring 5.1 and 5.2 magnitude, have again rattled the north-east coast of Japan, the US Geological Survey reports.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Probably wouldn't be a very good idea to crack open up the containers.. we need them to stay closed, and to keep containing.

If Rob A Bank could just use his x-ray vision instead, that would be better.
    *slaps forehead*

I knew I was missing the obvious solution.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Wind direction is changing to a northerly breeze tonight and into tomorrow. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Why aren't reactors buried underground, say at the bottom of a mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Saadyst wrote: »
    Rob A. Bank,

I don't think anyone knows for sure... which in itself is very worrying.

All we see is a situation which appears to be getting more and more out of control due to the fact that they dont seem to be able to cool the reactors.

If the rods melt and fall to the bottom of the containment vessel, there is a chance of serious nuclear contamination locally, though nothing like what happened in Chernobil.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Why aren't reactors buried underground, say at the bottom of a mine?

Earthquakes occur below the ground and would exert far more stress and strain on an underground reactor.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Earthquakes occur below the ground and would exert far more stress and strain on an underground reactor.
    Yeah but if something like this happens ye can just shut the mine.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Yeah but if something like this happens ye can just shut the mine.

Which would be like building a power station that becomes useless once the first earthquake strikes - A huge waste of money.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Which would be like building a power station that becomes useless once the first earthquake strikes - A huge waste of money.
    But much safer. I am sure then can have insulation underground too.

OSI wrote: »
    Not really, would be far more difficult to control the release of radiation underground, and once it did leak it would be in the soil, the water, plants animals etc in no time.
    A reactor encased in concrete and steel a mile underground will never get nowhere near to spread radiation into the topsoil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

A reactor encased in concrete and steel a mile underground will never get nowhere near to spread radiation into the topsoil.
    How much would it cost to build a nuclear power plant a mile underground?

Seriously people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Who wants to pay for it? It has to be economically viable as well.

Anyway, it's just another layer of security on top of the considerable amount there is already...

A magnitude 9.0 earthquake, 7m+ high tsunamis - and the power plant still hasn't blown the pacific rim off the face of the earth?? Why don't we just go further and stick it ten miles underground?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement