Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Can someone explain that geiger counter thing for the dumb folk. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/geiger-counter-tokyo

On page of geiger counter-maker BlackCat systems: "Due to the situation in Japan, we are receiving a large volume of orders"

http://www.blackcatsystems.com/GM/GeigerCounters.html

Click on "secure order" to see message.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

Demonique wrote: »
    I zoomed out on that map, according to the map there's also an emergency shelter in the Atlantic Ocean, I zoomed in on it to see what it was, looks like some idiot decided to have a joke with the map.

yeah i had a look aswell, it zooms into bermuda triangle

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

10-20 is normal. Anything over 100 is starting to become a health hazard.

Wut?:confused:
    I dunno what the calibration is on that Geiger but anything over 100 becoming a health hazard what are you basing this on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I find it hard to believe it is that low still.

The wind is blowing at 20 km/ hour and Tokyo is over 200 km from the reactor... so it will take more than 10 hours to get there, if the wind stayed constant.

A small break for them... and god knows they need it... the wind is due to blow offshore again tonight and stay in that direction until friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Malty_T wrote: »
    I dunno what the calibration is on that Geiger but anything over 100 becoming a health hazard what are you basing this on?
    It all depends on the length of exposure. A dose of 100 clicks for minutes, hours, days or even weeks is unlikely to be harmful. However, if you start going into months and years, you would begin to see adverse issues in people. Exposure to higher rates of radiation proportionally reduces the time you can be exposed without seeing negative consequences to your health.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Malty_T wrote: »

Here is another counter in Tokyo, apparently in a region called Ota Ward.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/%E3%82%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AB%E3%82%A6%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF

NHK: Prime Min. Kan will have a "message" at 1100 (40 mins. from now).

I dont think there is any chance of radiation reaching Tokyo... over the next few days anyway.

The plume of radiation will be blown offshore again.

Downside :- It's a very cold wind, with temps ranging around zero and windchill in the minus single figures. Not a nice prospect if you are without shelter, heating, power and scarce food supplies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The Tokyo one here - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/geiger-counter-tokyo - is definitely gradually rising, however its very slowly doing so at present.
    When I checked it earlier it was floating around just 13.12. now it slightly higher. I hope this is just a normal temp rise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Japanese PM will address the nation at 2AM our time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Hopefully they are downplaying this 'Blast' or they are hiding something real serious!

The goggles they do nathin!!

mgmt wrote: »
    Here is another counter in Tokyo, apparently in a region called Ota Ward.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/%E3%82%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AB%E3%82%A6%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF
    Correct, east side of Tokyo which is near the Tokyo Bay.

The official death toll from the earthquake and tsunami has topped 2,400, the AFP news agency is quoting police as saying.

Miyagi police report 40 robberies have occurred in the prefecture since Friday's earthquake.

Cell phone use has surged due to land lines going out of service from the power cuts. Mobile carriers are considering restricting service.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Biggins wrote: »
    The Tokyo one here - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/geiger-counter-tokyo - is definitely gradually rising, however its very slowly doing so at present.
    When I checked it earlier it was floating around just 13.12. now it slightly higher. I hope this is just a normal temp rise.

What time is it over there now? Early morning? This rise could be result of the sun rising in the sky for all we know tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

Say worse case senario the sh1t melts and radiation is leaked. How far will it spread and how long will it take to go away. What happens it, does it just spread out until is is very weak and disappears?

depends on the scale of the melt down, and how much of it get released into the atomoshpere. it apparently cant be near as bad as chernobyl, but taking it as an example, 20+ years later, there's still a very large exclusion zone around the site of the reactor. chernobyl's radiation spread over most of europe, and was detected all over the world. if japans situation gets into the atomosphere (not predicted to do so) it could literally go all over the world, but the further it travels, the less potent it becomes.

the area around the reactor will retain alot of the radiation, it gets absorbed into the soil, vegetation and buildings and stays theres for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Dempsey wrote: »
    What time is it over there now? Early morning? This rise could be result of the sun rising in the sky for all we know tbh
    It's almost certainly atmospheric. If the wind is carrying radiation from the reactor, you'll see a much bigger spikes in the radiation level.

Say worse case senario the sh1t melts and radiation is leaked. How far will it spread and how long will it take to go away. What happens it, does it just spread out until is is very weak and disappears?

Almost impossible to say... so many variables... wind speed, direction, how high in the air it was thrown, how heavy are the particles, half life of the radionucleotides etc etc.

However radiation from Chernobil reached Ireland and Britain. Today there are still 370 farms in Britain with restricted land use because of fallout from the Chernobyl disaster in 1986.

Dempsey wrote: »
    10.36am In Tokyo..
    +9 hours ahead of GMT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Thrill wrote: »
    Miyagi police report 40 robberies have occurred in the prefecture since Friday's earthquake.

Got a link to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Shelga wrote: »
    Yeah they confirmed this morning that it's going ahead, which I was a bit surprised at. Have family members telling me not to go, that I'll come back with an extra leg etc... :rolleyes:
    Kobe is 500km west of Tokyo which must leave it around 700 km from the nuclear reactors.
    As far as I can tell the city hasn't been directly affected by the earthquake/tsunami.

They were the epicentre of the last big quake in 95 when over 6,000 people were killed and large parts of the city were destroyed.
    Not Kobe's worst night of the 20th century however; on St Patricks Day 1945 a US air raid killed over 8,000 also destroying large parts of the city.

I think it's important to realise that one part of Japan has been devastated but there are probably over 100 million Japanese who haven't been in any way directly physically affected by what has happened.

• Advertisement

Folks, please calm down. What's with all these geiger counters at the moments???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

The Ustream geiger counter has gone offline?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

JayEnnis wrote: »
    The Ustream geiger counter has gone offline?

Why has it gone off line?
    There is a cover up going on here, there not telling people how bad it is.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/cia-sends-usaid-to-japan-to-manage-nuclear-disinfo-campaign.html

Or perhaps it was boring to watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

You love to keep things positive dont you :)

You love to keep things positive dont you :)

So you believe everything that the japanese government have been saying:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So you believe everything that the japanese government have been saying:rolleyes:

I dunno to be honest i think alot of the time things are getting on top of them and there not 100 percent sure what to be telling people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

10-20 is normal. Anything over 100 is starting to become a health hazard.

1 mSv above background is normal for Joe public, 20 mSv is the annual limit for People who work in the business.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Japanese PM confirming that fire has been detected in the 4th reactor chamber.

• Advertisement

Wind is now going south to Tokyo and will remain so at least until noon tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement