Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

also asking people to KEEP CALM !

Jesus wept !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/%E3%82%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AB%E3%82%A6%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF

That counter was at 13.20 a hour ago now its close to 22.00, big rise in a hour.

That was a different counter. No longer broadcasting, probably because of the planned power-cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Topper Harley01

Jesus wept !

You should take that advice, you have been practically foaming at the mouth since this happened.

Sure we've been through all this back in 86.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Jesus wept !

Who's panicking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Thrill wrote: »
    That was a different counter. No longer broadcasting, probably because of the planned power-cuts.

Oh right sorry:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

CNN INTL

Breaking News: A fire erupts in a fourth reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, an advisor to Japanese PM Naoto Kan says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That counter was at 13.20 a hour ago now its close to 22.00, big rise in a hour.

Is it? What would a normal peak reading be in this part of Tokyo?

Queue's miles long for petrol and food 80 miles south of plant and 80 miles north of Tokyo.
    Big streams of cars heading south watching on Fox news.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Nuclear_Event_Scale

I haven't paid to much attention to this disaster becuase I don't watch tv too much, but isn't this a level 4 incident?

Secondly, anyone who is old enough to remember Chernobyl will know that we all survived that despite the fact that the radioactive clouds reached this country. Does anyone remember the scare in this country circa 1986-7 about radioactive sheep?! Some of the comments here are like Sky News, going completely over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

mandrake04 wrote: »
    That still very high are you sure its not 50 µSv as in micro rather than milli?

:o
    Yes, you are right it's 50µ Sv. My apologies. Both Overheal and me copped that it was alarmingly high at the time, but I never checked my goggles to see if they were working correctly. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

This Kan dude said that the highest radioactive readings were coming from the reactor 4 building fire.
    This is very bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

listening to NHK and ther sayin that the reason why there askin the people within the 20km radius the reason there askin them to stay inside is that the fire at num4 plus other radiation would contain radiation that would damage u ON THE SPOT not like if u were exposed to it over a long period, there talkin about a radiation 'wave'.... fk me..

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-world-tv

I need to go to bed, will pray for this to turn out okay.

Malty_T wrote: »
    :o
    Yes, you are right it's 50µ Sv. My apologies. Both Overheal and me copped that it was alarmingly high at the time, but I never checked my goggles to see if they were working correctly. :(

They have just confirmed that they are dealing in milli Sv not micro SV readings between reactors 3 nd 4.

There is speculation here that spent fuel is on fire at the no.4 plant, that is why the levels are so high coming from it.

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Japan_earthquake2

This is exceptionally serious if true. Not quite Chernobyl, but terrible for those in the immediate vicinity.

Radiation levels from a twitter pic:

http://twitpic.com/49l8y5

Not good at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Fire breaks out at nuclear plant, radiation levels rise 'considerably' "Radiation is spewing from damaged reactors" Exclusion zone is now extended to 30KM.

Not looking good.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/fire-breaks-out-at-nuclear-plant-radiation-levels-rise-considerably-20110315-1buq7.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

the folks in the chatbox beside the geiger counter said reactor 2 has been re-stabilized. how true that is i don't know

flames are seen from 4th floor of reactor building 4 according to NHK

More advice for people living between 20 to 30km from the plant

If outdoors, get indoors immediatly. dust off all your clothes including your shoes.

Do not hang laundry outdoors... if you have laundry on the line... leave it there.

Shut all windows tight.

Do not use the air conditioner.

This sounds grim...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

Radiation at up to 9x normal level detected in kanagawa near Tokyo-CNBC

• Advertisement

NEWS ADVISORY: Radiation of up to 9 times normal level briefly detected in Kanagawa

Breaking: Hydrogen explosion at no.4 reactor

BREAKING NEWS: Hydrogen explosion occurs at Fukushima No. 4 reactor (11:53)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Breaking: Hydrogen explosion at no.4 reactor
    again?

skelliser wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS: Hydrogen explosion occurs at Fukushima No. 4 reactor (11:53)

Didnt this already happen????:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Japan Minister:
    Radiation at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant icreases to levels that can impact human health

,not good.

digme wrote: »
    again?

No. 4 had been shut down before the tsunami, it was reported to be on fire after no. 2 exploded, and has now itself exploded. So that's all 4 reactor building exploded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

This is beginning to get super serious judging by that twitter pic

No. 4 had been shut down before the tsunami, it was reported to be on fire after no. 2 exploded, and has now itself exploded. So that's all 4 reactor building exploded.

ok nice one, its hard to keep up at this rate:eek:

• Advertisement

The fire is a result of the third Hydrogen explosion.
    Flames are being seen on the fourth floor northwest corner of no. 4 building.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement