Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

No. 4 had been shut down before the tsunami, it was reported to be on fire after no. 2 exploded, and has now itself exploded. So that's all 4 reactor building exploded.
    wow thanks so 2 explosions in a matter on 1 or 2 hours?

crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

No. 4 had been shut down before the tsunami, it was reported to be on fire after no. 2 exploded, and has now itself exploded. So that's all 4 reactor building exploded.

incorrect.

There has so far only been 3 explosions.
    The fire started after the last explosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The risk of further releases of radioactive material from a damaged nuclear power plant remains "very high," Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan said Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Topper Harley01

NHK have just reported that the fire at no.4 is on the 4th floor, where the spent fuel is kept.
    This is an extremely bad development if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

There was no hydrogen explosion in reactor no.4. It was damaged by the third explosion and is now on fire.

No.4 reactor was being used to cool spent fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

BREAKING NEWS: Fire at No.4 reactor apparently put out: Tokyo Electric (12:04)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

It seems that the nerves are getting the better of the presenter on CNBC! It is live from Tokyo now (as it always is at this time) His voice is shaking a bit as he realises how bad the situation is looking!

Fire at no.4 put out now according to reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

so... reactor 4 hasnt exploded?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

NHK have just reported that the fire at no.4 is on the 4th floor, where the spent fuel is kept.
    This is an extremely bad development if true.

Yeah I remember a while back posting in this thread that my big fear was actually for the spent fuels in the reactor buildings that exploded but I didn't expect to hear anything about them in Unit IV. I hope my worst fears don't come to light (they definitely shouldn't for Unit IV building tho). :( It should be far easier to contain though. :)

• Advertisement

geetar wrote: »

No it hasn't.

geetar wrote: »

Apparently not, it was reported on the news feed but has since been removed. I stand corrected. The fire is apparently out at no.4, let's hope that is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

NHK gone offline i presume over power cuts?????:(

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

SnowY32 wrote: »

http://edition.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream3

its workin here

SnowY32 wrote: »

It's still broadcasting on sky channel 516.

EDIT: The stream is back up on ustream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Radiation at up to 9 times normal level briefly detected in Kanagawa near Tokyo.

Nuclear plant operator says explosion at the No.4 reactor followed by fire. Calls Japan's self defence force and the U.S. military to put out the fire.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=snapshot-developments-after-major-j

Tokyo govt has detected minute amount of radiation in Tokyo - Kyodo quoting Tokyo met govt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Nuclear plant operator says explosion at the No.4 reactor followed by fire.

I thought there was no explosion at reactor 4 and the fire had already been put out.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Does anyone have any idea what this is looking like in comparison to Chernobyl or is it impossible to tell at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Air China, the country's flag carrier, has cancelled flights from Beijing and Shanghai to Tokyo on Tuesday afternoon and in the evening.

This must mean something really bad!

• Advertisement

The radiation level in Tokyo has risen from 20 cpm three hours ago to 90 cpm as of five minutes ago. This is not a dangerous dosage.

Not dangerous but shows it's very reachable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Does anyone have any idea what this is looking like in comparison to Chernobyl or is it impossible to tell at this stage?

They had put Chernobyl at 7 on a scale of 1-7 and they're saying this is a 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

According to this guy, a fuel rod fire at Fukushima reactor would be like Chernobyl on steroids.

http://www.infowars.com/fuel-rod-fire-at-fukushima-reactor-would-be-like-chernobyl-on-steroids/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Surely it has to be upgraded at this stage? It was a 4 when there was no radiation leakage a couple of days ago

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

According to this guy, a fuel rod fire at Fukushima reactor would be like Chernobyl on steroids.

http://www.infowars.com/fuel-rod-fire-at-fukushima-reactor-would-be-like-chernobyl-on-steroids/

How reliable is that guy tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

TheZohan wrote: »
    They had put Chernobyl at 7 on a scale of 1-7 and they're saying this is a 4.
    nuxxx wrote: »
    Surely it has to be upgraded at this stage? It was a 4 when there was no radiation leakage a couple of days ago

Didn't the Japanese PM say that the worst is yet to come too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Radiation at up to 9 times normal level briefly detected in Kanagawa near Tokyo.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=snapshot-developments-after-major-j

Strange.. that area is south of Tokyo around Yokohama and the reactor is over 200 km north of Tokyo.

It was only detected briefly... so hopefully a glitch

Trying to evacuate 35 million people from the greater Tokyo area would be practically impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

40 times normal amounts in Saitama as of 5 am .. :S
    Still not harmful, but show's 250k isn't enough. China Air's stopped all flights to Tokyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Yakult wrote: »
    How reliable is that guy tho?

well it is on infowars so the chances are hes posting from his mothers basement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Didn't the Japanese PM say that the worst is yet to come too?

No doubt it will deteriorate but it's at 4 at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a full meltdown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement