Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

http://i55.tinypic.com/nv87dd.jpg

Link to readings from toyko , not gonna pretend I have any idea what they mean though

What I'm getting is that meltdown isn't what to be afraid of because of the strength of the reactors.. It comes down to the 20+ years worth of spent rods being stored on site. That's what happened in reactor building 4 for a while.. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

What I'm getting is that meltdown isn't what to be afraid of because of the strength of the reactors.. It comes down to the 20+ years worth of spent rods being stored on site. That's what happened in reactor building 4 for a while.. I think.

well seen pm say there a hole in containment vessel is actual nuclear material escaping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Yakult wrote: »
    How reliable is that guy tho?
    He can be hit and miss, he has posted some rather scary stuff about this.

I would be inclined to believe him about the cover up aspect by the Japanese authorities. He dose quote media sources.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/chain-reaction-meltdown-all-the-nuclear-reactors-in-quake-hit-city-will-explode.html

indough wrote: »
    well it is on infowars so the chances are hes posting from his mothers basement

its not from infowars its from firedoglake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

For any Google Earth users, here is a kmz which shows every nuclear power plant in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

For any Google Earth users, here is a kmz which shows every nuclear power plant in the world.

No it seems to show every nuclear facility Not just power plants. Places like Sellafield are not power plants.

Really feel for the 50 workers left behind, no doubt they`ll develop sickness soaking in that level of rads ( maybe theres suits they block out all radiation ) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It also looks like as if the Japanese Government has drafted in emergency censorship powers concerning the Fukushima nuclear plant

Yoichi Shimatsu a former editor of the Japan Times, states that after a high-level government meeting, “Japanese agencies are no longer releasing independent reports without prior approval from the top,” and that censorship of what is really occurring at the plant is being overseen under the Article 15 Emergency Law".

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=23676

that doesnt sound good, surely if parts of the plants are blowing themselves to sh1t nothing is under control, not in the slightest :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The old nuclear industry adage still holds...

"Letting it leak into the ground is bad enough, but letting it leak into the press is unforgiveable"

:-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

nuxxx wrote: »
    that doesnt sound good

Information from conspiracy theory websites rarely does.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,131 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Radiation levels around the crippled reactors now high enough to cause “immediate harm to human health” Japanese authorities say, adding core containment may be breached.

“I wouldn’t be within 50 km right now. If I was not a Japanese national, I would be making plans to leave.” – Murray Jennex, nuclear expert at San Diego State University, tells ECM in exclusive interview tonight

By Miriam Raftery

March 14, 2011 (San Diego) – NHK TV in Japan this evening has broadcast the latest grim twists in the nuclear crisis at plants in Fukushima. Radiation levels over 400 milisieverts--that's 1,000 times higher than the microsievert measurements earlier reported (the equivalent of 400,000 microsieverts)-- are now present following a third explosion-- this one at reactor #2 and considered more serious than two prior explosions at reactors #1 and #3.

According to a radiation expert interviewed on NHK, exposure at these levels can cause infertility. “Just in an instance you mean?” a reporter asked. “Yes,” the expert confirmed, adding that at 500 ML, lymphocytes (white cells) in blood will decrease. Anyone without protective clothing is at risk, he emphasized, adding that radiation at these levels “can affect your genes….It is very dangerous.”

That would make this now a worse disaster than Three Mile Island. on that scale of 1 to 7 Chernobyl was a 7, TMI was a 5, and this (was) a 4. I would have to speculate it's now a 6.

why did they have the reactors so close together so that a hydrogen explosion could damage the one next door

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

30km no fly zone ordered around the plant. I guess thats the end of any media helicopter shots of whats happening there.

Also:
    The USS George Washington was docked for maintenance in Yokosuka, about 175 miles (280 kilometers) from the plant, when instruments detected the radiation at 7 a.m. Tuesday (6 p.m. ET Monday), the Navy said in a statement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

As i said yesterday i think its a disgrace that the Irish goverment didnt advise all Irish citizens to leave Tokyo, i said yesterday that they were covering up and Tokyo was in danger but i was told was was being sensationlist by a few posters.

is the torus/suppresion pool as tough or considered the same as the containment shell? http://modernsurvivalblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/bwr-reactor-system.jpg

they were saying the might be a hole in the suppression pool so that does the mean the spent fuel material will want to escape through it?

they said radiation is escaping directly into the atmosphere so just gas with radition in it at the moment

its hard to get a timeline events wikipedia is best, news agency keep repeating old news cauding confusion over new fires and explosion which are just official reports of earlier ones

is the torus/suppresion pool as tough or considered the same as the containment shell? http://modernsurvivalblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/bwr-reactor-system.jpg

they were saying the might be a hole in the suppression pool so that does the mean the spent fuel material will want to escape through it?

they said radiation is escaping directly into the atmosphere so just gas with radition in it at the moment

its hard to get a timeline events wikipedia is best, news agency keep repeating old news cauding confusion over new fires and explosion which are just official reports of earlier ones

The damage to the suppression pool and the issue with spent fuel are at two separate buildings.

Radiation levels rise in Russian city of Vladivostok, 500 miles northwest of Japanese nuclear plant, but stay within normal levels - Reuters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

another vid of Early Warning System

• Advertisement

The damage to the suppression pool and the issue with spent fuel are at two separate buildings.

ah ok was trying to get that right, the suppression pool only takes in steam, so there was gas with radiation coming out of the suppression pool and out of the spent fuel pool in another building

Kyodo: Cooling of No. 5, No. 6 reactors appears not to be working properly: Edano

FFS, issues with all 6 reactors now at Fukushima I.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

It also looks like as if the Japanese Government has drafted in emergency censorship powers concerning the Fukushima nuclear plant

Yoichi Shimatsu a former editor of the Japan Times, states that after a high-level government meeting, “Japanese agencies are no longer releasing independent reports without prior approval from the top,” and that censorship of what is really occurring at the plant is being overseen under the Article 15 Emergency Law".

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=23676

Thats honestly when you know they either don't want people to panic and/or have gotten more worried too about whats going on there.
    Its sadly not looking good. Dear heavens let them get it under control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Shelga wrote: »
    Yeah they confirmed this morning that it's going ahead, which I was a bit surprised at. Have family members telling me not to go, that I'll come back with an extra leg etc... :rolleyes:

Is the job that important to you ? I think events have moved on. ARe you due to fly to tokyo ? Air China cancelled flights. Others may follow.
    Thrill wrote: »
    Cell phone use has surged due to land lines going out of service from the power cuts. Mobile carriers are considering restricting service.

Why the f**k would carriers consider restricting services when people are dependent on their phones no doubt including those trying to rescue others

neaideabh wrote: »
    Air China, the country's flag carrier, has cancelled flights from Beijing and Shanghai to Tokyo on Tuesday afternoon and in the evening.

This must mean something really bad!

No it doesn't mean anything except that flights have been cancelled.
    TheZohan wrote: »
    They had put Chernobyl at 7 on a scale of 1-7 and they're saying this is a 4.
    Gotta be 5 or 6 now then.
    According to this guy, a fuel rod fire at Fukushima reactor would be like Chernobyl on steroids.

http://www.infowars.com/fuel-rod-fire-at-fukushima-reactor-would-be-like-chernobyl-on-steroids/

'Cherbobyl on steroids'. Is that a scientific term then ? No professional person is going to use such an irresponsible scaremongering phrase.

In a side note your username is incredibly apt to this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

As i said yesterday i think its a disgrace that the Irish goverment didnt advise all Irish citizens to leave Tokyo, i said yesterday that they were covering up and Tokyo was in danger but i was told was was being sensationlist by a few posters.
    Posted same in here yesterday and was told to pipe down.:rolleyes: Sure everything is fine, nothing to see here move along etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Incidentally why are the geiger counter streaming sites all shut down ?

I smell censorship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

why did they have the reactors so close together so that a hydrogen explosion could damage the one next door

Turns out now that the building believed to have been damaged by the 3rd explosion, was in fact on fire itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Biggins wrote: »
    Thats honestly when you know they either don't want people to panic and/or have gotten more worried too about whats going on there.
    Its sadly not looking good. Dear heavens let them get it under control.
    I'd say the government is trying to stop the widespread evacuation of Tokyo and suburbs (35m people) by twisting the truth. I fear the worst at this stage tbh.

Fukushima spent nuke fuel pool at reactor no. 4 may be boiling, water level falling -Kyodo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Incidentally why are the geiger counter streaming sites all shut down ?

I smell censorship

They're not, they're being hammered..there are some still available.
    Mister men wrote: »
    I'd say the government is trying to stop the widespread evacuation of Tokyo and suburbs (35m people) by twisting the truth. I fear the worst at this stage tbh.

The prime minister and co are much closer to the reactor than central Tokyo.. and most of the remaining government are probably in the offices or at home in the Tokyo suburbs. The government are also not the only people to be monitoring the situation, so it would be hard for them to keep anything hidden for long if they were doing so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement