Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthquake in Japan

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Just in – Massive 6.7 earthquake approx. 50 km from Miyako

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

http://www.japanquakemap.com/#
    Irish Weather Online
    BREAKING: Tsunami advisory in place for the Iwate prefecture in Japan following a strong earthquake. More to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Yu Muroga was a Japanese delivery man. He was doing his round when the earthquake occurred on March 11th 2011. Like most people in the area, he did not feel under the threat of the tsunami as he was driving far from the coast. That’s why he kept on driving and doing his job.

The HD video camera on his dashboard did not only film the tremors but also the moments after the earthquake when several drivers were trapped by the tsunami waters.

The video camera was recently found by the police next to the passenger’s body.

http://www.koreus.com/video/tsunami-japon-interieur-voiture.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

the speed the water comes in is frightening

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

That's flippin NUTS! Scary stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

M 6.8     2012/03/14 09:08     Depth  10 km      Off Coast HONSHU, JAPAN
    There is no danger from this event as it occurred 185km offshore. It appears to have occurred on the same fault as the 2011 M9.0 event and is likely an aftershock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

That's odd, the text you quote says he died - I could have sworn I saw a documentary on NHK about this exact video and the guy behind it. As far as I remember, the moment after the camera cuts out (when the car goes under) he managed to climb out of the car and cling to something stationery but he doesn't remember some of it because he was hit a couple of times.

Edit: I've googled his name - yes he did actually survive thank heavens.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Here's the guy explaining it in english.

Japan is getting hammered today. God help them.

2012-03-14 12:05:05.0
    26min ago 35.66 N 140.74 E 15 mb 5.7 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN 2012-03-14 12:26
    earthquake2012-03-14 11:40:17.0
    51min ago 40.96 N 144.82 E 8 mb 5.3 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN 2012-03-14 12:06
    earthquake2012-03-14 10:57:39.0
    1hr 34min ago 40.77 N 144.84 E 10 mb 5.8 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN 2012-03-14 12:28
    earthquake2012-03-14 10:49:24.0
    1hr 42min ago 40.83 N 144.81 E 10 Mw 6.0 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN 2012-03-14 12:27
    earthquake2012-03-14 10:02:11.0
    2hr 29min ago 40.93 N 145.06 E 2 mb 5.1 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN 2012-03-14 11:37
    1 F earthquake2012-03-14 09:08:35.0
    3hr 23min ago 40.95 N 144.91 E 10 Mw 6.9 OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

Dangerous M5.7 earthquake strikes close to Tokyo

• Advertisement

from earthquake report

A dangerous earthquake has struck close to Tokyo (90km). It had a M5.7 and was shallow in depth. The earthquake will be as strongly felt in some parts of Japan as the M9.0 earthquake from March 11th, 2011.
    The towns of Asahi and Hasaki can expect some damage.

Minor liquefaction may occur in some locations in Chiba. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Not Japan but massive (8.7ish just now) :eek::

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 001
    PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS
    ISSUED AT 0845Z 11 APR 2012

THIS BULLETIN IS FOR ALL AREAS OF THE INDIAN OCEAN.

... AN INDIAN-OCEAN-WIDE TSUNAMI WATCH IS IN EFFECT ...

A TSUNAMI WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR

INDONESIA / INDIA / SRI LANKA / AUSTRALIA / MYANMAR / THAILAND /
    MALDIVES / UNITED KINGDOM / MALAYSIA / MAURITIUS / REUNION /
    SEYCHELLES / PAKISTAN / SOMALIA / OMAN / MADAGASCAR / IRAN /
    UAE / YEMEN / COMORES / BANGLADESH / TANZANIA / MOZAMBIQUE /
    KENYA / CROZET ISLANDS / KERGUELEN ISLANDS / SOUTH AFRICA /
    SINGAPORE

THIS BULLETIN IS ISSUED AS ADVICE TO GOVERNMENT AGENCIES. ONLY
    NATIONAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO MAKE
    DECISIONS REGARDING THE OFFICIAL STATE OF ALERT IN THEIR AREA AND
    ANY ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN RESPONSE.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 0839Z 11 APR 2012
    COORDINATES - 2.0 NORTH 92.5 EAST
    LOCATION - OFF W COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA
    MAGNITUDE - 8.7

another big one, RSOE has it at 8.2

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

7.1 Mexico, gulf of California, 9.35 UTC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This thread should be renamed to Earthquake reports thread, as the latest posts have nothing to do Japan :rolleyes:

This thread should be renamed to Earthquake reports thread, as the latest posts have nothing to do Japan :rolleyes:

Well then ask the mods to rename it, if it bothers you so much :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Anything under about 7.0 is pretty much ignored in Japan as a normal occurence. Or so I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Anything under about 7.0 is pretty much ignored in Japan as a normal occurence. Or so I hear.

In Japan they use the 'Shindo Scale' which describes the actual shaking experienced during an EQ. The early warning system will alert the TV and Radio channels if Shindo 5 is about to occur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Meteorological_Agency_seismic_intensity_scale

Shindo 4 is where things get interesting if you are inside a building, Shindo 5(lower) is not enjoyable, Shindo 5(upper) is pants-changing time.. lets not venture to 6 .... I know this from first hand experience. To translate into an M number - usually lower than M5.8 is a non-event here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

daelight wrote: »
    In Japan they use the 'Shindo Scale' which describes the actual shaking experienced during an EQ. The early warning system will alert the TV and Radio channels if Shindo 5 is about to occur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Meteorological_Agency_seismic_intensity_scale

Shindo 4 is where things get interesting if you are inside a building, Shindo 5(lower) is not enjoyable, Shindo 5(upper) is pants-changing time.. lets not venture to 6 .... I know this from first hand experience. To translate into an M number - usually lower than M5.8 is a non-event here.

Yeah I know about the shindo scale. Maybe mag 7 was a bit high. Ive heard stories from a guy who lived there who said you would just be eating dinner and there would be a very small earthquake and nobody would even pay attention to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

M5.5 off coast of Chiba this morning -

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/20120425052617391-250522.html

The area showing bit of an increase in activity last few days. Depth of 60km, Shindo 2 - 3 in Tokyo at 5:22am, a gentle wake up call :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

How about a dedicated thread to Earthquake and volcanic activity? Pleeease :)

I still see none so I'll post away here until mods see fit for a general thread.

Following the 6.7 in Japan today, there was another 6.0 (later downgraded to 5.8) in the same area, causing concerns to the local population. TEPCO stepped in twice to play down any problems with their systems.

There's been 4 smaller quakes this morning so hopefully we've seen the worst of it already.

Advertisement