Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even I Think Axl Rose Has Gone Too Far

Options
  • 11-03-2011 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So I'm one of Axl's biggest fans, I find his performances incredible, and personally I defend a lot of the abuse he receives from people online. However, now even I think Axl has gone too far, and his hatred of Slash has clouded his judgement to insane levels....
    According to DailyBreeze.com, GUNS N' ROSES frontman and sole original member Axl Rose's $20 million lawsuit against game publisher Activision Blizzard, Inc. for using a GUNS song in its "Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock" video game will take place early next year, a judge said today. After a short conference with attorneys in chambers, Judge Charles Palmer scheduled the trial for January 23.

Rose has sued game publisher Activision for $20 million. Rose claims in his lawsuit that the company's use of the GUNS song "Welcome To The Jungle" in Guitar Hero III violated an agreement the publisher made with him not to use any images of former GUNS guitarist Slash in the game.

A copy of the court documents filed by Rose's attorneys can be found at RadarOnline.com (PDF file).

The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleges that Activision persuaded Rose to authorize the use of "Jungle" by telling him that the game would not feature any reference or mention of not only Slash, but his post-GUNS band VELVET REVOLVER. According to the suit, "(Activision) began spinning a web of lies and deception to conceal its true intentions to not only feature Slash and VR prominently in GH III but also promote the game by emphasizing and reinforcing an association between Slash and GUNS N' ROSES and the band's song 'Welcome to the Jungle'."

Rose apparently found out that a character resembling Slash would appear in Guitar Hero II and immediately refused to allow "Jungle" to be used, but claims that Activision lied to him and said the image was just being used for marketing purposes. However, the singer became enraged when he got a copy of Guitar Hero III, which featured the Slash character heavily in the game and even on the cover.

Rose also claims that the GUNS song "Sweet Child O' Mine" was used in an online promotion for Guitar Hero III despite being licensed only for Guitar Hero II.

Rose's lawyer, Skip Miller, said, "This lawsuit is about protecting GUNS N' ROSES and 'Welcome to the Jungle' and is about holding Activision accountable for its misuse of these incredibly valuable assets."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Takemyscars72

Axl needs a hobby, or does hating everything "Slash" related and showing up late count as one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

How exactly has he gone too far? If what he alleges is true then Activision are guilty, as the article says, of misuing Guns N' Roses assets. I also don't see the need for Slash-hatred to be brought into the discussion as that has nothing to do with what Activision agreed and will doubtless just result in a load of posts saying how much they dislike Axl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

you're only getting the fact that he's a prick now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Axl up to Illusion 2? Arrogant, cocky, ego-centric...but possibly one of the best frontmen a rock band could ever have, incredible voice, stage presence, fitting attitude etc etc.

Axl post Illusion in the new 'Guns'? A has-been, dreadful dreadful voice these days, childish, delusional & downright sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'm normally one of the first guys to criticise Axl Rose whenever a new story comes out about him, but I don't see how Axl went too far. From the looks of it, Activision breached some sort of agreement they had with Axl, and Axl took legal action. It's quite understandable from Axl's point of view, even if he does come off as petty and bitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

As I said last November when he started legal proceedings, money must be a bit tight in diva world.

The game, Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, came out in 2007, yet it took Axl until November 2010 to even start the legal stuff.

Plus as it was reported in November, his legal team were seemingly unable to produce any contract or similar between Axl and Activision that backed up his claims.

It's the terms of the agreement which are particularly sad, it's like he doesn't want Slash associated with GNR :rolleyes: I wonder how much he contributed to 'Jungle' anway, not that it matters as he owns the legal rights to GNR as an entity, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Malice wrote: »
    How exactly has he gone too far? If what he alleges is true then Activision are guilty, as the article says, of misuing Guns N' Roses assets.

Yes, that may be the case, but the Guitar Hero franchise has now been retired and this legal action will just begin to fuel the stories of hatred between Axl and Slash, thus affording more bad media for the new GNR lineup and stopping people like Ron Thal and DJ Ashba from helping to create a new and unique line up

Axl also has the worst luck ever, the judge deciding a trial will happen the week that Duff McKagan comments on the 2012 superbowl rumours in the US...Duff, Gilby and Matt have gone on record in the past few months to support Axl's ability in regards to being a frontman and an enigma (for lack of a better word) and Axl needs to build on the positives and not just keep suing everyone once they mention Slash used to be part of GNR

It's as if Axl would like to erase history and forget that Slash was ever around. I'm not sure what the stumbling block here is, but it leads me to believe there are some very personal issues between Axl and Slash that we just don't know about - isn't there a mention in the latter's autobiography about going to see Axl drunk or something?

I suppose Axl wrote most of Welcome to the Jungle and given the personal nature of the song he feels like it's his personal story

Love it :cool: Axl even then had trouble with that tune, he murders it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Okay, I don't think this thread is going to go in any direction other than insulting towards Axl Rose so I'm closing it.

Thanks to those of you who saw fit to avoid insults in your posts.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement