Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - cat seems in pain post neutering

• 11-03-2011 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Tibbs was neutered last friday and she has had her check up Tuesday - everything seemed perfect.

Until last night - I went to pick her up ans she hissed and growled which is a first. I let her go and noticed that she was sitting very still, down on her front two paws with her bum elevated. So she looked to be in pain.

She is eating, her breathing is normal, her stitches look fine. She purrs when I pet her. But when she walks into the other room she does so slowly and gingerly....something is wrong.

Question is - is this normal after neutering? I will ring the vet once they open but if anyone can put my mind at ease I would appreciate it. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

This is not normal after neutering, you need to bring your cat back to the vet if this continues for more than a few hours. It may be related to the op or it could be something totally seperate, your safest bet (esp becasue the cat is showing signs of pain as opposed to mild discomfort) is to go to the vet asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Thanks lorebringer....

Just off the phone and they said to being her in to be safe. One possibility they mentioned is that post op. the stitches can begin to tighten and cause discomfort.

Given that its the weekend and most vets will close, I'm not taking any chances. My poor little lady...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

yep. +1. kitty is in pain and she's let you know - you need to go back to the vet and have her temp taken etc. If her stitches and wound look fine, she may have damaged something else - best not to do this over the phone, lest the vet reassures you into ignoring something that does need looking at.

/Edit to add you got there before me! Good to see you're bringing her in, good luck and let us know how you get on.

Simultaneous posting :)

I'll update you guys when I know more...hopefully nothing too serious. I just can't handle seeing her in pain or upset.

God bless vets, vet nurses and shelter workers - imagine what they see everyday

Update

went home on Friday evening and she was absolutley fine! Bounding around, rolling over for rubs etc. I rang the vet to update them and they said it was most likely her stitches began to tighten (which is normal) and it was uncomfortable.
    She's off to get them removed today (yipee!) so should all be back to normal.

I overreacted, again :rolleyes:.....thanks for your help guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement