Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan Earthquake and ensuing Tsunamis

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Dude111 wrote: »
    Thank you.....

I love Japan and i am very sad by what happend there :(

Me too and there are many people who feel the same.
    Oh and thank god their entire country is in economic distress?!

I'm aware 'thank god' is a phrase but i am really sick and tired of people saying inappropriate things during such terrible natural devastation and destruction.

I kinda understand your frustration a little bit. Over the weekend I was talking to a shop assistant about the disaster and she says thank god we don't suffer from earthquakes and we are lucky. I know she meant well but I felt a little angry over it thinking in my head, saying something like that doesn't make me feel any better as I want to live there for abit. Anyway I am not saying this to start arguments and I am just saying that I can understand peoples' frustration over this but attacking someone is not the way to do it but I am sure you didn't mean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 paradice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Some arses on Deviant Art are only concerned about the earthquake/tsunami because they're worried about it will affect their precious manga and don't give a frak that people have died

Gilbert Gottfried (American 'comedien' and voice if Iago in Aladdin) tweeted so many 'jokes' about the disaster that there was list made of the his ten worst jokes. He got fired from his job as the Alfac duck for his troubles.

50noSense also made jokes via twitter

And then there's this tit who writes for Family Guy/The Cleveland Show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Demonique wrote: »
    Some arses on Deviant Art are only concerned about the earthquake/tsunami because they're worried about it will affect their precious manga and don't give a frak that people have died

Gilbert Gottfried (American 'comedien' and voice if Iago in Aladdin) tweeted so many 'jokes' about the disaster that there was list made of the his ten worst jokes. He got fired from his job as the Alfac duck for his troubles.

50noSense also made jokes via twitter

And then there's this tit who writes for Family Guy/The Cleveland Show

He's not alone and while I think the people posting those message are idoits who need to a good hard smack there is also the flip side of watching so many people become frankly over emotional when I know people in Japan who aren't nearly as upset. I hope those getting all upset showed the same emotion for New Zealand or Haitai. If you think what some stupid americans are posting is bad I suggest you avoid some of Chinese and Korean sites as there are a number of very happy people posting. The reality is you are always going to find people who are either indifferent or will make fun of events like this and there really is no point in getting worked up about it.

People becoming annoyed at people discussing the economic picture need to face the reality that it is a major deal. The Hatai earthquake while a human tragedy was never going to have a gobal effect and caused major headaches for aid groups because Haitai is a poor country with crap infrastructure made worse by the quake, there are people in Hatai still homeless and living in utter flightly conditions more then 12 months on. Japan meanwhile is the worlds third largest economy with damn good infrastructure in place and while yes it's a horrible loss of human life you will not find any Japanese people living in tents with no medical care or food 12 months from now. The long lasting effects from this quake will be economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

ztoical wrote: »
    He's not alone and while I think the people posting those message are idoits who need to a good hard smack there is also the flip side of watching so many people become frankly over emotional when I know people in Japan who aren't nearly as upset. I hope those getting all upset showed the same emotion for New Zealand or Haitai. If you think what some stupid americans are posting is bad I suggest you avoid some of Chinese and Korean sites as there are a number of very happy people posting. The reality is you are always going to find people who are either indifferent or will make fun of events like this and there really is no point in getting worked up about it.

I agree but I really think it is disgusting no matter what country it is whether it was Germany or the UK, I would still think it is disgusting if a major disaster hit the the UK and some Irish people laughed at the high deaths there. In the end of the day we are all humans, yet I understand why hatred exists because of history but you can't blame the civilians and the people nowadays for what happened in the past, especially when it comes to a major disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I agree but I really think it is disgusting no matter what country it is whether it was Germany or the UK, I would still think it is disgusting if a major disaster hit the the UK and some Irish people laughed at the high deaths there. In the end of the day we are all humans, yet I understand why hatred exists because of history but you can't blame the civilians and the people nowadays for what happened in the past, especially when it comes to a major disaster.

Comments such as the ones about Pearl Harbor are spouted by people with a level ignorance only present in America.

I mean, that was during war time, when the Japanese were allied with the Axis and America was supplying Europe with huge amounts of weaponry and aid. They were not "officially" in the war but were definitely participating... that being said, Pearl Harbour was a testiment to how cruel humans can be to one another but so was, maybe more so, Americas Nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki which if you go by the idea of "an eye for an eye", in this instance America poked both of Japans out.

It's amazing how ignorant "patriots" can forget how horrible they were themselves in such times of tragedy. Natural disasters happen and the war was over 50 years ago. Americans should be doing all they can to help and get over themselves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

ztoical wrote: »
    People becoming annoyed at people discussing the economic picture need to face the reality that it is a major deal

Depends how it's discussed. I've seen at least one incredibly tastless example. See here.
    "The human toll here looks to be much worse than the economic toll and we can be grateful for that."
    Larry Kudlow on CNBC

Advertisement