Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Spot Blaster Kit

• 11-03-2011 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Saw this on aldi's site this morning; http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_16194.htm

I have an old Sankey trailer which get's towed behind our vintage military land rover on occasion, was going to get it blasted this summer and do some repair work on it, it's had quite a few layers of paint and never been stripped.

Was wondering if anyone had experience with one of these blasting kits that aldi have and if it would be worth getting one and blasting the trailer back myself, I have access to a compressor to use already.

Also, for anyone who has done any blasting before, how much blasting would you get out of the 2kg of aluminium included in the kit? And could you just use fine sand instead in a kit like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'm thinking about getting one of those myself. I read somewhere that you could use children's play sand in the gun as long as you screen it first to remove any lumps, although it's usually pretty good that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lunerop

Hi, I got one of those Aldi sand blasters to srtip my old series III, dont waste your time. Its not strong enough and the amount of time and sand it would take to do the job is huge. The best way of striping it is glass blasting and there are several people who do farm machines that are your best bet. If you need the contact details of the guy I used in Galway let me know he has a mobile blasting unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Absolute waste of time and money! I didn't have any ambitious plans for the one I bought- I just wanted to clean up some old tools and equipment (small items). I hooked it up to a professional compressor (after swapping out the incompatible bayonet fitting on the gun). Within a minute or two a piece of the abrasive got lodged in the trigger mechanism leaving it permanently on! That aside even with a good compressor it was useless! Oh well, could have been worse I suppose. On the plus side I picked up some Aldi baby wipes for the workshop- only €1.19 and great for removing fresh paint, grease or rust from your hands or tools handles even!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Theres more power in 1 of my farts,than there is in that stupid Aldi pea shooter kit.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement