Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Minding Rates?

• 11-03-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Hello All,

I was just wondering what the general rates were for child minding right now? My wife is currently working as a Montessori teacher, and to be honest, the money she's making for the effort involved isn't great. She has minded kids previously when she qualified and was making 250 for 4 full days. Is 300 for 2 kids for a 5 day week about right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Conor.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on where you are located and the hours and the contract.
    I take it your wife is a qualified childcare professional if she works in a Montessori?
    300 for a week for 2 siblings full time in Dublin by a qualified childcare professional would be pretty average you could probably even charge more.
    The biggest difference is that she can earn 15k a year tax free and it is a full days works as opposed to mornings in the montessori

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Thanks Moonbeam. Yes you are correct, she's a qualified Montessori teacher and has also completed the FETAC SNA course. We are based in County Dublin towards Kildare.

Thanks again,
    Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It depends on where you are located and the hours and the contract.
    I take it your wife is a qualified childcare professional if she works in a Montessori?
    300 for a week for 2 siblings full time in Dublin by a qualified childcare professional would be pretty average you could probably even charge more.
    The biggest difference is that she can earn 15k a year tax free and it is a full days works as opposed to mornings in the montessori

Would you have a link or more info on the point she can earn up to 15,000 per year tax free, is this because she would be classed as self employed?

Any info would be helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This might not be of concern but just to consider a lot of creches etc have dropped there rates lately simply because there is no demand.

I wanted to do a 6 week course and managed to get my child in one day week. Unheard of a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Would you have a link or more info on the point she can earn up to 15,000 per year tax free, is this because she would be classed as self employed?

You can contact your childcare committee for all the information on this. They also provide short training course and start up grants.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

wmpdd3 wrote: »

No,because she is a childminder in her own home.

http://www.omc.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=%2Fdocuments%2Fchildcare%2Fchildminders.htm

childminding.ie is also a good reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

A friend of mine is a qualified childcare worker having done up to Fetac Level 6 as well as the SNA course and having worked in primary and secondary schools for 10 years. She was made redundant from her school last year and is looking for work. She went for an interview recently and it all went great, looking at 9 hours a day, 4 days a week. Until they got talking about money. The woman was offering €20 a day! A day! Seriously, how much are people's children worth to them? Needless to say my friend laughed at her and walked out.

I'm paying €20 for a half day for my lad and that's subsidised. I'd expect to be paying at least €50 a day for a fulltime childminder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

A friend of mine is a qualified childcare worker having done up to Fetac Level 6 as well as the SNA course and having worked in primary and secondary schools for 10 years. She was made redundant from her school last year and is looking for work. She went for an interview recently and it all went great, looking at 9 hours a day, 4 days a week. Until they got talking about money. The woman was offering €20 a day! A day! Seriously, how much are people's children worth to them? Needless to say my friend laughed at her and walked out.

I'm paying €20 for a half day for my lad and that's subsidised. I'd expect to be paying at least €50 a day for a fulltime childminder.

This is an insult to anyone, especially someone so highly qualified. If a person chooses to work and have their child cared for, they should be prepared to pay a good proportion of their wage to do this. Child care workers are very badly paid in Ireland, regardless of whether one is working in at home or in the childcare sector. While the government have introduced new standards which involves staff upskilling and constantly undertaking training, little has been done to increase wages or improve conditions for staff working in this area. This is a very important job but staff working is these areas are undervalued.

Advertisement