Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nottingham Forest's Luke Chambers declaring for Ireland

• 11-03-2011 11:15am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

NOTTINGHAM Forest defender Luke Chambers is on the verge of a call up to play for the Republic of Ireland.

Chambers, who has been one of Forest's players of the season so far, has been asked by the Irish FA to take up Irish citizenship.

And the central defender, who qualifies to play for the Irish through his grandfather, could even get a call-up to face Macedonia and Uruguay at the end of the month.

Chambers has begun the process of applying for an Irish passport, after his impressive form was spotted by Giovanni Trapattoni.

More here

He's be excellent for Forest this year since moving to centre half and has got himself on the score sheet 4 times season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

More here

He's be excellent for Forest this year since moving to centre half and has got himself on the score sheet 4 times season.

Don't know much about the guy but we've had a good few CBs declaring recently with Clark, Stearman and now this guy. Should give us good cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The more players that declare for us the better,we have a small pool of players call on and expanding that pool can only help the national team.
    The spine of our team isn't getting any younger either so I personally don't have a problem with players declaring for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

60036d1276843898-awjeez.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

60036d1276843898-awjeez.jpg
    :confused:

He got approached to play for us and accepted. Pennant and other's have gone looking for Irish relatives after giving up ever getting an England call.

Chamber's is as good if not better than John O'Shea or St Ledger so can only see it as a great addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He's better than St. Ledger anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I've not seen him play but I've heard and read good things about him.
    after his impressive form was spotted by Giovanni Trapattoni.

I doubt I'm the only one who finds that hard to believe, I'd be surprised if he has ever seen a game in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Is it "Lets declare for the Republic" month or something?

Don't think It'll make much difference as Kilbane will probably be starting in two weeks time, which says everything about Trappatoni's selections and choice of English football league DVD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

:confused:

He got approached to play for us and accepted. Pennant and other's have gone looking for Irish relatives after giving up ever getting an England call.

Chamber's is as good if not better than John O'Shea or St Ledger so can only see it as a great addition.

Can we not have one superthread for 'foreign no mark player x wants to play for Ireland'. This is about the fourth this week, and guess what, none of them will ever feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Can we not have one superthread for 'foreign no mark player x wants to play for Ireland'. This is about the fourth this week, and guess what, none of them will ever feature.
    This guy will, he is an excellent defender. If the awful St Ledger can get in the team, then Chambers will surely get a look-in at some stage. Since getting a regular starting place at centre back earlier this season, he has been a revelation for Forest. Not the biggest of centre halves, his positional sense is first class, very tight marker and can think of at least three occasions where he's made goal-line clearances for us this year alone.

Anyone who saw the game between QPR and Forest a few weeks back should be aware of his qualities. Forest were reduced to 10 men after 23 minutes and withstood a second half onslaught with Chambers literally repelling every Rangers attack on his own. He got man of the match that day, one of six he has received this season.

I'm not a fan of Trappatoni's at all, but in getting Chambers to declare he has done very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

The end is nigh for Paul McShane. About time too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Good news. I've been impressed with what I've seen of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The end is nigh for Paul McShane. About time too.

feelsgood.jpg%3F1239543703&sa=X&ei=jSR6Td_sLY-7hAeJ_IDkBg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFy-ridZzBLVch3m4bIL83wdVJiVA

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

grenache wrote: »
    If the awful St Ledger can get in the team, then Chambers will surely get a look-in at some stage.

St. Ledger has never put a foot wrong for Ireland, that's why he's in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Kingp35 wrote: »
    St. Ledger has never put a foot wrong for Ireland, that's why he's in the team.

I agree that he hasn't done too much wrong for Ireland but now he's heading into League 1. There must be a reason why he is playing for the bottom team in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Yeah I think people are knocking St Ledger cos Preston are languishing down the bottom of the Championship but I dont think he's been that bad for Ireland,especially beside Dunne.

But as someone said the bigger the pool of players we have to pick from the better and ths lad is hardly a bad addition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Gillington wrote: »
    Yeah I think people are knocking St Ledger cos Preston are languishing down the bottom of the Championship but I dont think he's been that bad for Ireland,especially beside Dunne.

But as someone said the bigger the pool of players we have to pick from the better and ths lad is hardly a bad addition

with Traps selection policy will it matter? He has his core squad, so unless there is an injury the squads picks themselvs, Rightly or (imo) wrongly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Gillington wrote: »

i'm judging him on his Ireland performances, which have been for the most part, below average. He scored the second goal against Italy at Croke Park but then stood still to watch Iaquinta equalise. He was equally brutal against the Russians at home. He is not a good distributor of the ball, is slow to react to danger and is playing in a team who are bottom of the Championship. Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Just don't click on them, then u won't have to read them. It's not as if they're clogging up the entire forum.

8&&mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The more the merrier,I don't have a problem with St.Ledger either though and also there's 10 other players besides him in that Preston side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

St.Ledger is average and does get caught out. He has a better reputation with Irish supporters than he deserves in my view. He's whole hearted and gutsy but positionally naive. He is just well protected by having 2 defensive midfielders shielding him the majority of the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement