Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth getting the 580EX speedlite over the 430

• 11-03-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭

In a nutshell can someone give me their opinion on the advantages of buying the canon 580EX over the 430....thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I've a 580, and a friend has a 430, And I've tried both and the 580 is a big step up from it! And I personally would find it worth while getting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The 580 has a larger head than the 430 so has a better spread of light, also recharges faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Do you mean version II of these? 580EX II vs 430EX II.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭amytomjerry

Thank you for very fast replies...And yes I do mean the II versions

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭relichd

oshead wrote: »
    Do you mean version II of these? 580EX II vs 430EX II.. ;)

Fancy stuff there :D

The first link takes you to a nice comparison page. And I'd go for the 580EX II version! It's got the built-in bounce card, it's weather sealed, 'it can reach 35% farther than 430EX II can (58 meters vs. 43 meters), which makes it 82% more powerful than 430EX II' and recharges faster.

Then again... It depend's on how demanding you really are and how much money you can spend? Perhaps, the 430EX would be more than enough for you...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Also, not mentioned above but I believe the 580 will accept a connection from an external battery pack, the 430 does not. For me this would be important,the external battery pack on my 550 EX makes charging time much faster & I find it a godsend - because I can shoot away w/o thinking about whether the flash is charged or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

For most stuff there is very little difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

I have the 580 EX, 580 EX II and a 430 EX

if you can get a cheap 430 EX you wont be missing out too much really.

Try to avoid the 580 EX you'll be sweating about breaking off the battery compartment door every time you go to open it

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Not a Canon user, and only have cheapie flash unit. But I went from a Yn-460 to a Yn-560 and the difference is great.

The older one took 7 seconds at best to recharge, had no zoom, the battery comp. door was flimsy and felt like it would fall off anytime, it sucked battery juice like it was dying of thirst and didn't seem very powerful.

For not much more I got a unit that recharges in 2 seconds, has zoom, is more powerful and the battery door is much sturdier, the whole unit is better built.

What's that got to do with the models you're talking about? well, those are things to look for when upgrading a flash unit I guess? Does it do things that the cheaper/older one cannot?

Advertisement