Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Proxy Server

Options
  • 11-03-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

I hope I'm posting this in the right section (wasn't sure if it should be in the Broadband section).

I was hoping someone could help me, I recently emigrated to Germany and I sometimes miss Irish television and 4oD. I was hoping to set up a proxy or a vpn on my pc (or my dads) in my parents house in Dublin.

They have the 20meg (1.5meg up I think) UPC broadband connection with the cisco epc2425 modem. My pc runs windows 7 ultimate 64bit, my dads pc runs windows vista home premium 32bit. I have logmein installed on both pc's so I can have access from here.

my knowledge of networking is pretty poor, so I was hoping someone here could advise me.

In the past a friend of mine had set up a proxy server for me to watch games, but I don't want to be relying on him the whole time and using his bandwidth.

So... is there a program I can download and install to run a simple proxy server I can connect to from here and watch the rugby? something that could run in the background? with minimal setup and idiot proof setup?

or is it possible to set up a vpn so I can log into the cisco router at home and use the ip address to watch the RTE iplayer?

all I need is to be able to use the ip address so I can watch the sports, no other fancy services really.

Would there be security risks setting up these services too?

sorry for the long winded question. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hmm a Slingbox might work, stick it in your parents place and away you go. Ive never used one so I dont know for sure

http://uk.slingbox.com/go/home

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richiek

Cheers for the suggestion

A slingbox would work alright, I'm broke though so a free solution would be preferable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

You will need at LEAST 1Mb upload for the slingbox to work.
    I know you said you had 1.5Mb but have you tested that yet?

I tested it a few times alright at different times and its stable at about 1.4meg up a second.

I won't be going the route of a sling box though since I'm broke :)

its really only to catch the odd rugby or football game.
    thanks for the info though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Im interested to see if you can find a cheap solution richiek. I dont know one of hand but some friends also want a proxy for the same reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

You could use a ssh server on the PC in Ireland and use that as proxy

http://ocaoimh.ie/how-to-use-ssh-as-a-proxy-server/

You'll need to do port forwarding on the router there too

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Any old OpenWrt router running as a DMZ should do.

This would allow you to SSH access, and consequently set up a SOCKS proxy. :)

Im interested to see if you can find a cheap solution richiek. I dont know one of hand but some friends also want a proxy for the same reason

I'll let you know id I figure something out so :)

@ronkmonster, that sounds like a solution I'll have to look into.

@Jonathan, The router is just the bog standard cisco epc2425 that UPC gave us. I'm pretty sure its running stock cisco firmware and I don't think upc would be too happy if I tried changing it to an OpenWrt firmware, adding a switch or another device that would have OpenWrt to the router isn't an option either really, need to be able to do this so my parents dont have anything to set up for me other than turning on a computer so I can log into it.

Hopefully I can set up a test server here to get it working and then just do the same on one of the computers at home.

Thanks again for the suggestion people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Openwrt won't work on the UPC router, it's stuck with the firmware they put on it.

Proxy wise you'll want something like squid.

I've set up safesquid and it works a treat although you'll need to configure it to be totally open as it us fairly well locked down to start with.

aye, squid seems like an option alright, I have no idea how to use it though, must download a copy and see if I can figure it out on the laptop here then deploy it at home.
    Thanks for the suggestion

• Advertisement

i tried a few different flavours of squid in both windows and linux, but safesquid seemed like the easiest one to use, so it's worth a go if you're trying stuff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Clear OS, if you can get your hands on an old PC then install what used to be ClarkConnect now Clear OS on it and configure a PPTP VPN, I use it here to login to a remote network that I take care of and it would do exactly what you are looking for.

http://clearsdn.clearcenter.com/support/download.php

MC

sounds like a job for vmware workstation. :)

Clear OS, if you can get your hands on an old PC then install what used to be ClarkConnect now Clear OS on it and configure a PPTP VPN, I use it here to login to a remote network that I take care of and it would do exactly what you are looking for.

http://clearsdn.clearcenter.com/support/download.php

MC

Thanks, Sounds like an option alright but I wont get a chance to do something like that until I visit home next time.

I think I'll give Vibe's suggestion a go here first and see how it goes.

and thanks again everyone for the suggestions

Advertisement