Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Points from 1st July. Better for me?

Options
  • 11-03-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

In the new points for visa 885,886,175,176,487,475 on the 1st July This is were I stand

English Language: 10????
    Bachelor Degree: 15

Equals 50 points

Question 1:
    About the IELTS as a Irishman how many points would I get? and would doing a test be necessary or increase my points?

Question 2:
    My Degree in Quantity Surveying is not accreddited by RICS so would it be possible to get it recgionsed in Oz?

Question 3:
    If I worked as a QS in Oz while on my WHV's for 1 year would I get 5 points? how could I prove it?

Question 4:
    Partner Skills my GF is a childcare worker for 5 years, Level 5 Fetac, doing her Level 6 now for Childcare Management. How could we prove we're a couple? Her skills recgionised?

Question 5:
    State sponsorship to regional oz, if I got sponsored by my company this would give me 10 more points.

So all in all I could get 70 points maybe. Could anyone give me advice on how they got a 175 or 176 visa or even sponsored visas. (PM if you want) also if you could answer any question for me. Also if I did 2 years on WHV's I would then be 25 so that would be 5 more points for me...

Sorry for the length but i'm really eager to move to oz at any cost and my mind is running marathons every day worrying about it....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 HiHo

Hi
    If you are a QS with right experience then maybe you could get sponsored by a company - look at seek.com.au for jobs and also look at agencies in OZ.

I'm assuming you are looking at WA since you are a QS. You will need to get your QS qualification assessed - engineers are with the Australian Engineers Assoc... think the cost is about 200AUD. You need to get all your degrees and exam transcripts and get them certified by qualified person - solicitor, notary of the public... there is a long list of people who can do this. Then you need a CV and an application form and send this off. Once you get the letter of assessment you will then need to proceed to the next stage which I think is the visa application form... for the 176 you will need to get sponsored by the relevant state e.g. WA so check out their website http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/

I have only started on this process and it is lengthy and you can be waiting anything like 2 years for the 175 but the 176 is meant to be quicker.

My first step would be to start getting your CV out there, if you have the right experience etc. under your belt you might manage to swing a 475.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Think it alot more than $200. Plus, from talking to Irish QSs currently in WA with 5+ years experience jobs are hard to come by if your on a WHV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 HiHo

No to get a letter of assessment from the Australian Institute of Engineers is definitely only around that much as we got one for my husband. He has a degree in Structural Engineering. However if you are to get assessed by TRA or VETASSESS then you are talking about a lot more (we are also looking at this as they don't need SEs in WA so we might need to go down another route). Anyway the VISA is also quite costly... again don't quote me but I think about 2300AUD (175 and 176).

I wasn't talking about a WHV I was talking about a sponsored visa 457 (not sure of the cost of this) or the State Sponsored VISA 176 or the other one the 175, skilled migration or whatever it is called.

That is bad news about Irish QSs in WA.... I know someone who was snapped up for mega bucks and big relocate package... and I keep hearing the same for civil engs etc. :rolleyes: I hear big earth moving experience is great and civil eng and QSs all in demand. Plus carpenters.

The assessment of skills process is lengthy and costly that is why it is best to go the letter of assessment route if have the right qualification

Look I'm no expert... I'm still in the middle of the whole process which is a mammoth task to take in but I'm confident we will get out the other side - We have to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Seems like we all hear any number of things :p

But, I hear the more in the mines is ment to be great :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Thanks for all the info. I PM'ed a fella on here who works in the mines, he said that there is no need for QS in the mines and I would well believe him, what the point when there is money being throw around like it going out of fashion.

What I will do is I'll contact the AIQS and try and get my degree recgionised($400) must contact The SCS here in Ireland to.

What do I need to get certified? only my degree or Exam results also?

Here is what the AIQS website says

"If you wish to apply for a migration skills assessment, please complete the application form and return with the necessary fee and all supporting documents (eg Degree and Academic Record, Membership Certificates - certified photocopies are acceptable) to this office for assessment. Foreign language documents must have a certified English translation."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rightyabe wrote: »
    Question 5:
    State sponsorship to regional oz, if I got sponsored by my company this would give me 10 more points.

State sponsorship is totaly different to employer sponsorship

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Mellor, yeah sorry should of made it clearer.

1. Is state sponsorship hard to obtain in WA, SA and QSL?
    2. Is work experience necessary for SS?
    3. Could the work experience change in the 1st July changes?
    4. What is "Work experience in nominated occupation (or closely related)" and how would it be measured if you know what i mean? eg: if I worked on a constructiion site as a labourer could this be closely related to Quantity Surveying?

Advertisement