Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The secret recipie - B C tomato Relish

Options
  • 11-03-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hello

I for one am sick of paying for a certain Jar of Relish

and wonder if anybody has come across the recipe?

It has to be around some where?

regards

CH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd say almost any tomato chutney, with the vegetables very finely chopped and too much sugar added would do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I make this every Christmas for gifts and people go nuts for it. If you're not into heat, just reduce or leave out the chillis.

Spicy Tomato Relish

Serves 30

2 large red onions

2½ kg ripe tomatoes

150g raisins, coarsely chopped

6 cloves garlic, crushed

10 small red chillies, seeded and finely chopped

juice and peel of 1 lemon (peel cut into long strips)

2 tablespoons grated ginger

3 teaspoons ground allspice

2 teaspoons ground cloves

3 teaspoons salt

2 cups apple cider vinegar

2 cups Bundaberg Sugar (White or Raw depending on preference)

1 tablespoon cornflour

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (extra)

1. Place onions in a food processor and process until finely chopped; place in a large saucepan. Cut tomatoes into halves and process in batches until chopped, but not pureed (there should still be chunks of tomato visible). Add to onions, along with all other ingredients, except for cornflour and extra vinegar. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Boil, stirring occasionally, for 1–1½ hours or until starting to thicken.

2. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until very thick. Stir often to stop mixture sticking to base of pan.

3. Combine cornflour with extra apple cider vinegar. Add to tomato mixture and simmer, stirring for 2 minutes .Turn off heat and let stand for 10 minutes, then spoon into clean warm jars and seal. Turn the jars upside down for 2 minutes, then invert and leave to cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Thats great, still not the exact recipie,

but I will try the recipie when I get my greenhouse back in production.

thanks

CH

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lazairus wrote: »
    Thats great, still not the exact recipie,

but I will try the recipie when I get my greenhouse back in production.

thanks

CH

You might find you'll make something nicer.
    Does it really have to be exactly the same?

Personally, over the years I got very tired of that relish turning up in every half decent sambo and wouldn't want to recreate it at all but rather come up with something similar but different.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Hello

True true, I suppose Ill store that recipie for later on in the year, just started to scrub down the greenhouse, so Will be a while before Il start growing veg again.

thanks

CH

• Advertisement
Advertisement