Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercing Advice

Options
  • 11-03-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭

Hey so I wanna get a new piercing and I am toying with either a tragus piercing or an industrial/scaffold piercing.

which would people reccomend? which is less painful (not in the intital piercing - that is to be expected - but during the healing process). I am a girl with hair that will at times go over my ears (although I will obviously do my best to keep it off) so that might affect it. is one easier to manage than the other etc?

also reputable piercer for these piercings in dublin/wicklow. someone who does them regular has a good idea of what they are doing etc. I want the best person for the job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Hi,

My preference would be for a tragus piercing. I had a scaffold done last May when I was living in London in a place that was recommended to me by a friend (she had loads of piercings and lived there all her life so I thought she'd know best) and it was a disaster.

They did two separate piercings which meant that they weren't lined up straight at all and she did it literally where my ear meets me head. This meant that there was an awful lot of pressure on that part of my ear. I ended up getting keloids and scarring and everything. Now, this is due to my own stupidity. I should have researched the piercing place more and asked more than one person where they went but that was my experience. I have since taken out the piercing but I still have scarring.

I got my tragus done 3 weeks ago in Snakebite on Abbey St and so far it's been a dream. They really know what they're doing in there and they spend ages going through all the need to know stuff. I find that they are a bit more expensive than the likes of Wildcat but I think it's worth an extra €10 for peace of mind.

Steve in Snakebite is your man. He's really sound and he's a genius at what he does. He gave me loads of advice regarding my disaster scaffold to minimise the damage and I have to say, he really does know his stuff. :)

Hope this helps.

CR

EDIT: I found my scaffold to be very painful especially at night trying to sleep. That could be because it was wonky and all over the place but my tragus has caused me very little pain at all. Just a bit stingy the first day. And I accidentally bumped it once or twice when I was using my phone (easy to forget it's there at first) but it's been fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

thank you very much for your feedback. very sorry you had such a bad experience with your scaffold. i was reading up on it and i read that about if they do two seperate piercings that there is much more room for error, so if i did decide to get that i think i would want a piercer who would do the two together as one piercing.

how much did they charge you in snakebite? generally (although not always the case to be fair) if they charge to cheap it will be cheap work, so the people who are that bit more expensive are usually the safer bet.

In Snakebite my tragus cost €45 with a bar. I think it's €40 with a ring. And my friend got hers done with a bar in Wildcat last year for €36.

Yeah I have since heard that it's usually dodgy to do two piercings instead of one. If only I'd known that earlier.

In Snakebite, they told me that my ear isn't even suited to a straight scaffold and that if I want one it'll have to be a curved one. The piercer who did it for me never said anything about that. Just shows that there really are cowboys out there that will do sloppy work without a care in the world.

So when my ear fully recovers from the trauma of the original scaffold, Steve in Snakebite told me he'd make me a curved bar and re-do it properly for me. :D

with the tragus bar is it like a smaller version of the eyebrow bar (i.e. two balls on either end). i know you can put a small labret bar in for ease of access to your ear and stuff but what one do they use to start with (since you have to leave it quite a while before changing it).

also the whole no headphones thing. is that both in and over ear headphones? i don't know if i could be without my music for so long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

hdowney wrote: »
    with the tragus bar is it like a smaller version of the eyebrow bar (i.e. two balls on either end). i know you can put a small labret bar in for ease of access to your ear and stuff but what one do they use to start with (since you have to leave it quite a while before changing it).

also the whole no headphones thing. is that both in and over ear headphones? i don't know if i could be without my music for so long!
    headphones raise bacteria by about 700% not the best for a fresh wound

• Advertisement

how long would i have to consider it fresh for? i have both the in ear iphoney headphones and big ass skull candy over ear thingamajigs. but obv i wouldn't use them until i could. the piercing is more important

Till it's healed proper

gah, so like a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

I thinkt he advice for piercing is a little like the advice for tattos. Don't.

gah, so like a year?
    ha nah a month
    edwinkane wrote: »
    I thinkt he advice for piercing is a little like the advice for tattos. Don't.
    very helpful, come onto a tattoo and piercings forum and tell people not to get them, While your at it tell the christianity forum not to believe in religion, tell the athiests to believe.....meh not assed making my point so I'll just say this, go away.

• Advertisement

ignore the troll. not worth it.

i have had so many people tell me not get tattoos or piercings. oops. this one (whichever i decide on) will be my 5th piercing and i have 6 tattoos so far!!! the more you tell me don't....

and the people on their high horses just need to step off them. gah i have had some people spout such drivel at me.

like in my church this person said i shouldn't tattoo myself. that doing things like that to the body was wrong, letting in the devil, that it said it in the bible (actually it does say something about not piercing or tattooing yourself in the bible i think!) and that my tattoos were against god. and i was like 'and what your piercings (ears) arn't? cos they ain't clip ons!!!

and then people saying to my mother, can't you tell her not to? and do you let her do this!!!! WTF both me and mam laff at this cos i am 25! like she is going to stop me:D

ignore the troll. not worth it.

i have had so many people tell me not get tattoos or piercings. oops. this one (whichever i decide on) will be my 5th piercing and i have 6 tattoos so far!!! the more you tell me don't....

and the people on their high horses just need to step off them. gah i have had some people spout such drivel at me.

like in my church this person said i shouldn't tattoo myself. that doing things like that to the body was wrong, letting in the devil, that it said it in the bible (actually it does say something about not piercing or tattooing yourself in the bible i think!) and that my tattoos were against god. and i was like 'and what your piercings (ears) arn't? cos they ain't clip ons!!!

and then people saying to my mother, can't you tell her not to? and do you let her do this!!!! WTF both me and mam laff at this cos i am 25! like she is going to stop me:D
    I believe the line is something like one should not colour or scar their flesh (it was a common thing with funerals back then)

Meh people need to **** off with regards religion, they have killed thousands upon thousands, compared to us simple athiests.

i do believe that there are too many religion pushers. i know in the churches they encourage you to go and preach to the unconverted. but there are ways and means and shoving your bible bashing nonsense down someones throat is NOT the way.

just be a generally kind, compassionate and open hearted person, without shoving god down someones throat and that will do a better job.

judgemental, holier than tho prigs can just pee off tho

(sorry off topic!!!)

I have one with two balls on. But it will be changed as soon as it's healed to a smaller labret one.

I am a sound designer so I wear headphones all the time. I asked about this and was told not to use ear phones at all for 3 months and if I have to use phones then to get a BIG pair of over ear ones and make sure that they put no pressure directly onto the piercing. So I have a big set of cans for work and a big pair of Skull Candy's for recreational use! :D So far there's been no problem!

where did you get the skull candy's? i don't think mine are quite big enough

I got them as a graduation gift from my dad but you can get them in Tower Records on O'Connell St above Easons. They have little in ear ones and big over ear ones. So a good selection. Pricey though!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭boscoroxx

Got my tragus done in December in Dublin Ink with their piercer Dani.
    She's very good, knows what she's doing, and she's there 6 days a week usually. You can walk in or book ahead but you'll be accomadated just fine either way. I've gone back since more since to get more!
    Plus if you 'like' them on FB you can see when they have half price offers on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'd recommend going for the tragus first. Scaffold can be a bit annoying to heal as you're healing 2 piercings at once. Got my tragus done about 4 years ago and would definitely recommend one!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have the tragus in both my ears pierced- and I love them!
    I got one done in Wildcat and it took the girl three tries to push the needle all the way through the cartilage though, and I only have little ears, it was ouch! (But only for a minute). The other one was done in Bodyshock and there was no problem there.
    Sleeping on them will be a bit sore but no worse than any of my ear piercings, a lot better than some actually!
    I stayed away from in-ear headphones for 6 weeks or so and then it was grand.

Be warned though- if you're like me, once you get one done, you may want the other tragus pierced too!! If I could go back, I'd have gotten both mine done together. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Posy wrote: »
    Be warned though- if you're like me, once you get one done, you may want the other tragus pierced too!! If I could go back, I'd have gotten both mine done together. :)

Yeah I'd like to get my other one done too! I'd kinda like a double one but I don't know if my tragus is big enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

i do believe that there are too many religion pushers. i know in the churches they encourage you to go and preach to the unconverted. but there are ways and means and shoving your bible bashing nonsense down someones throat is NOT the way.

just be a generally kind, compassionate and open hearted person, without shoving god down someones throat and that will do a better job.

judgemental, holier than tho prigs can just pee off tho

(sorry off topic!!!)

Are you making a judgment that others are judgmental? :-)

edwinkane wrote: »
    Are you making a judgment that others are judgmental? :-)

from the standpoint of being a christian yes i guess i am. :D i try to be as non-judgemental as possible!!! but i get overly pushy people at me all the time and it is like ARGH!

boscoroxx wrote: »
    Got my tragus done in December in Dublin Ink with their piercer Dani.
    She's very good, knows what she's doing, and she's there 6 days a week usually. You can walk in or book ahead but you'll be accomadated just fine either way. I've gone back since more since to get more!
    Plus if you 'like' them on FB you can see when they have half price offers on :)

i got my lip done by dani last yr :)

whoop so got me tragus pierced today.

thanks to Ken in d red dragon. he is well sound. explains everything and is very understanding methinks. will deffo be going back and be recommending him to everyone :)

Advertisement