Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company Relocating

Options
  • 11-03-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi All

Wondering if anyone has any experience or can direct me in the right place.

My mothers company is relocating...its only about 70yards away, basically consolodating their shop into another shop in the same village. The conditions in the new premises are not the same - they have to share toilets with the public for example. Is this change in working conditions allowed.

Cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

To be honest if sharing toilets is your mothers main concern I don't see the problem. Surely the existing toilets are shared with co-workers?

I would be more concerned if there's a change in salary or a change in working practice such as unsociable hours for no extra pay etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Once appropriate bathroom facilities are provided then who they are shared with is not really a change of conditions issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

tell her to use her own toilet before she leaves in the morning,if she doesnt want to be mixing with the great unwashed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Lyndan wrote: »
    Hi All

Wondering if anyone has any experience or can direct me in the right place.

My mothers company is relocating...its only about 70yards away, basically consolodating their shop into another shop in the same village. The conditions in the new premises are not the same - they have to share toilets with the public for example. Is this change in working conditions allowed.

Cheers..

of course it is allowed, unless it is stipulated in her contract of employment that toilet facilities are for staff only. (I would doubt very much if this was the case)

What does your mother and her work collegues actually want? A new customer built facility in the new building?

Or am I just a cynical old fool who thinks this is just a case of people wanting more money as something insignificent has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

If there were a substantial change of location, for example where a city centre office moved out to an industrial estate 20 or 30 miles away, she could claim redundancy.

Given that it's only 70 yards away, this doesn't apply. Unless her contract stipulates exactly what her toilet facilities should consist of (I doubt it unless your mother is very particular and negotiated very strongly on this basis when signing her contract) she's not entitled to anything.

Tell her to get some antibacterial bottom wipes or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Have worked in places with toilet facilities shared with just co-workers, and shared with customers and co-workers.

Pros of Shared;
    Cost-cutting measure.
    Interaction and friendly chat of both parties.

Cons;
    ~On principle. Definitely not professional / business-like to be sat in a toilet cubicle next to a customer/client!!
    ~Pleasant-ness. There's just nothing nice about it lol - it's rather too intimate and personal a place to be with a customer / client full stop!!
    ~Tact/diplomacy. Depending on the profession/trade it puts both parties into a fierce awkward situation; - if employee has to look for money from the customer/client, or if the customer/client has made a complaint etc. it makes meeting in a bath-room very awkward lol!
    ~Customer-friendly. From a Customer's point-of-view I would imagine they feel un-comfortable if in a bath-room and sees company staff walk in to use the facilities lol, I would say they'd kinda see it as an invasion of privacy or their personal space.

However it's a sign of the times if shared bathrooms are being introduced more and cutting costs is key in moving forward in this economy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Have worked in places with toilet facilities shared with just co-workers, and shared with customers and co-workers.

Pros of Shared;
    Cost-cutting measure.
    Interaction and friendly chat of both parties.

Cons;
    ~On principle. Definitely not professional / business-like to be sat in a toilet cubicle next to a customer/client!!
    ~Pleasant-ness. There's just nothing nice about it lol - it's rather too intimate and personal a place to be with a customer / client full stop!!
    ~Tact/diplomacy. Depending on the profession/trade it puts both parties into a fierce awkward situation; - if employee has to look for money from the customer/client, or if the customer/client has made a complaint etc. it makes meeting in a bath-room very awkward lol!
    ~Customer-friendly. From a Customer's point-of-view I would imagine they feel un-comfortable if in a bath-room and sees company staff walk in to use the facilities lol, I would say they'd kinda see it as an invasion of privacy or their personal space.

However it's a sign of the times if shared bathrooms are being introduced more and cutting costs is key in moving forward in this economy anyway.

It's a shop. Not the United Nations. :D
    Not the end of the world for either party if they meet in a restroom.

If a customer has to use a shops bathroom it's because they're really caught short, from a customers perspective the last thing I would be thinking about would be invasion of privacy or personal space. Its a PUBLIC bathroom.

Advertisement