Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much data usage for x-box live

• 11-03-2011 3:05pm

hi. I dont have an xbox or play live but my nephew wants to set up his live acoount and use my broadband in my home to play live games.

Im fine with this but was just wondering what is the data usage per hr of play say. Just a guidline figure please

I have a limited amount of data usage per month and always have some to spare. Costs skyrocket if you go over it though

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

well i use my broadband pretty heavily with xbox, sky player is on alot and alot of downloads but never go over 20gbs a month, what provider are you with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It all completely depends on what he will be doing. On average, gaming online will use about 10mb download and 6mb upload per hour of online play. But this can vary depending on the game, etc. Also, if he is downloading videos/demos or watching videos or listening to music online it will be a helluva lot more. Having a cap on your download isn't such a good idea for online gaming.

thanks for the replys.

I have 25gb per month

I should have no problem If he is only gaming so?
    I think ill let him set it up and monitor the usage

Found this thred too but it went off topic

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055669148&highlight=data+usage

while we are here is this speed good enough for gaming

Download
    1.81 Mb/s
    Upload
    1.40 Mbs
    Ping
    75ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DY2011

I think you need to look into gettin UPC or something,with a cap on your usage and speeds like above, hope you dont mind me asking,but how much are you paying?

• Advertisement

DY2011 wrote: »
    I think you need to look into gettin UPC or something,with a cap on your usage and speeds like above, hope you dont mind me asking,but how much are you paying?

Nope... 19.99 a month with 3 national broadband scheme

Speeds are better at one end of house with repeater. I was at other end. When I download its at about 220kb/s so im happy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Speeds are better at one end of house with repeater. I was at other end. When I download its at about 220kb/s so im happy enough

seeing as its 3g you will have varying results depending on the time of day.
    so at peak times the connection might lag out and drop completely.
    it depends on how many people are connected to the same mast as you.

if its at all possible i would dump 3 and get either upc or a dsl (eircom,vodafone etc) instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

As Dunworth said...

What you've got isn't really broadband, 3 are allowed to legally to advertise it as broadband but in reality, it's a mid-band at best. You'll suffer from high latency, poor quality/intermitant connection and generally have a bad experience on XBL or any online gaming network. The people who are actually able to successfully use a "mobile" type broadband for online gaming are few and far between.

Get yourself a decent broadband provider, DSL or ADSL and you'll notice a huge difference in performance.

Advertisement