Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions re Webmasters...

Options
  • 11-03-2011 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

I help run a small, niche site for a friend. It's growing all the time and currently receives 4,000+ uniques per month. The only problem is, both myself and the owner/contributors have very limited knowledge of web design/management. The current webmasters don't listen to any of our requests (e.g. adsense; altering layout etc.) and so the scope for development is stunted as a result. This crowd are currently looking for the yearly fee of €250 for 'maintenance' and registering the domain name for the coming year.

I just have a few questions about our next move:

1. IS this fee (250) a bit steep for what amounts to simply domain registration?

2. How big a job would it be to move webmasters?

3. Given the small number of uniques, is it really worth investing anything more (time/money) in the site?

4. My personal view is that this website (which does not have delusional ambitions of mass success by the way) should be costing next-to-nothing to keep running. The webmasters do nothing, as far as I can see. Am I missing something?

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks alot. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

€250 is a bit steep - if your getting nothing!

should be around €60 (give or take) just to host - any housekeeping you do yourself for that price.

Moving a site is "fairly" straightforward - bit of planning needed, backup and configuration on the other side - it would depend on how your site is setup - is it a cms site static/dynamic etc

keeping it: It depends on the rational - like is there potential to make a few quid? and is there much ion the upkeep.

PM me the address if you like and I take a pike at it.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Dude,

You are being taken for a ride big time, get onto the folks at www.blacknight.com get set up with a minimus hosting package for €49 per year and you are elected. You can move your domain to them for a minimal cost also.

If you have little tech ability you can even do an app vault install of wordpress / drupal / whatever.

Its all very straight forward, not to mention the customer support is pretty ace. Any questions ask away.

Adrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It depends.

Are they paying for hosting and domains from that?

Is that all they've arranged to do?

What exactly does altering layouts mean? That could range from something trivial costing €10 to something hideous costing €100s. Could be the same for the AdSense stuff.

Not responding to requests is obviously no good.

There's a lot of variables at work and many of them are the old length of a piece of string problems so it's difficult to say exactly what kind of value you are getting. You certainly should talk to them and ask them for a breakdown of what €250 is getting you. Do bear in mind that you have very limited knowledge of what's going on as you say yourself, so that might be part of the issue also. Have a chat with them and see where it goes.

Advertisement