Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameswap.ie

Options
  • 11-03-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads, sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting it and mods feel free to delete if needed but the boys at bone-idle.ie (irish games news site) have set up a new website Gameswap.ie. You register for free and swap games with other users. Great idea as I'm sick of getting burnt with trade in prices.

2 euro charge per swap but if you pay for membership, you can avail of different offers.

Reason i'm posting it is because the more people that are on it, the bigger choice of games!

Goodluck with the site lads!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Hey lads, sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting it and mods feel free to delete if needed but the boys at bone-idle.ie (irish games news site) have set up a new website Gameswap.ie. You register for free and swap games with other users. Great idea as I'm sick of getting burnt with trade in prices.

2 euro charge per swap but if you pay for membership, you can avail of different offers.

Reason i'm posting it is because the more people that are on it, the bigger choice of games!

Goodluck with the site lads!

Good idea for a website

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Just signed up. I have a couple games I'd like to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

No PC :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

No PC :(

They have a feedback section, worth putting it to them although might have a problem with used serial numbers although, will have that prob with a lot of new console games as well accessing multiplayer, might need to buy a new code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sites broken for me when I click my profile
    Server Error in '/' Application.
    Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.

Source Error:

Line 5848: get {
    Line 5849: try {
    Line 5850: return ((string)(this[this.tableprofileData.Address2Column]));
    Line 5851: }
    Line 5852: catch (global::System.InvalidCastException e) {

Source File: d:\CustomerData\webspaces\webspace_00119593\temp\root\8971a2a7\85696d33\App_Code.ix1hqtqy.3.cs Line: 5850

Stack Trace:

[InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.]
    profileDataRow.get_Address2() in d:\CustomerData\webspaces\webspace_00119593\temp\root\8971a2a7\85696d33\App_Code.ix1hqtqy.3.cs:5850

[StrongTypingException: The value for column 'Address2' in table 'profileData' is DBNull.]
    profileDataRow.get_Address2() in d:\CustomerData\webspaces\webspace_00119593\temp\root\8971a2a7\85696d33\App_Code.ix1hqtqy.3.cs:5853
    Profile_MyProfile.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in d:\CustomerData\webspaces\webspace_00119593\wwwroot\gameswap.ie\Profile\default.aspx.cs:295
    System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
    System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
    System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
    System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeSta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's a great idea, but is €2 not a bit steep to be charging per transation?

humanji wrote: »

Well compare to 'trade in 2 games (both have to be new ones bought in the last few months) then add 2 euro and get a new game for free', this seems quite reasonable.

Must check whats the story if a knacker sends you a scratched up game. I know gameswap ban people for this but can you get your game back?

Well, the other alternative is to do it for free on adverts, or even sell for more than you make back in the shops. I know that they can't run the site on a loss, but it does seem a little excessive.

As for scratched disks, I'd imagine that the kind of jerk who'd offload one on you, wouldn't give you back the disk you gave them. Don't know if there's any sort of law that would cover it. Probably the worst that will happen is that they'll be banned from the site. That's why the feedback system is a good idea, but hopefully there's some safeguards against it being fixed, like with eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Ok i better jump in as i didn't expect to see this thread on here. Laying cards on tables and being above board and all, i am involved in running this Gameswap site, so I am a bit nervous of even posting on the thread but i wont spam it at all.

Just a note on the site, it hasn't officially launched yet so be gentle :), some feature have not been turned on just yet and although we have spent the last year building and testing (as all my boards resident testers will know) there still may be some issues still to work out.

It feels a little bit wrong to get into much more than this on this thread without it coming across spam, but I have contacted Boards about buying proper advertising.

There are contact email addresses on the site, we have a facebook page (just search gameswap.ie) if you have any further questions, comments or concerns.

As always if its outside normal boards rules for me to post in a thread like this sorry and delete away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

It's about a 95cent profit per transaction as it's 1.05 to post yourself, though I'd imagine with the site you get alot more people and peace of mind with swapping.

• Advertisement

Ok i better jump in as i didn't expect to see this thread on here. Laying cards on tables and being above board and all, i am involved in running this Gameswap site, so I am a bit nervous of even posting on the thread but i wont spam it at all.

Just a note on the site, it hasn't officially launched yet so be gentle :), some feature have not been turned on just yet and although we have spent the last year building and testing (as all my boards resident testers will know) there still may be some issues still to work out.

It feels a little bit wrong to get into much more than this on this thread without it coming across spam, but I have contacted Boards about buying proper advertising.

There are contact email addresses on the site, we have a facebook page (just search gameswap.ie) if you have any further questions, comments or concerns.

As always if its outside normal boards rules for me to post in a thread like this sorry and delete away.

Ah its you running it Grumpy? Actually feel better about it being a fellow boardsie! Ya, I know the mods that be don't like blatant self promoting but I wanted to see if anyone on here would be interested. Sorry if im stepping on toes anyway Grumpy. Will be checking out what games i wanna get rid of later and update my profile. Definitely more peace of mind doing this then swapping on adverts.

Just on the pricing the €2 per swap is for a standard account this is intended for the occasional user people who might swap every now and then.

If people plan to use it more often then the members account is the way to go, it gives you unlimited swaps and depending on the way you pay works out at around 86cent a week. Which we think is fair enough.

Well the monthly and yearly rates seem grand, but at the start there's going to be very few takers and nobody will have any feedback, so since Adverts is free you're starting off at a disadvantage. I'd have thought some sort of introductory rate would get the punters in, and then the price would increase afterwards. It's how drug dealers work, and they seem to be doing well :D

Well the monthly and yearly rates seem grand, but at the start there's going to be very few takers and nobody will have any feedback, so since Adverts is free you're starting off at a disadvantage. I'd have thought some sort of introductory rate would get the punters in, and then the price would increase afterwards. It's how drug dealers work, and they seem to be doing well :D

They do have a good business model ;)

Its a balance between getting a enough people in and keeping the messers that a free site attracts at bay.

Plus we havent officially launched yet so it a bit early for introductory offers:D

Anyone interested in this, i'd recommend joining the lads facebook page for the latest updates like below:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Gameswapie/188467864522962
    Games available right now include: Borderlands, Fallout New Vegas, Red Dead Redemption, Vanquish and Dead Space. If you are looking to get any of these games check out the site now

Games currently being sought include : Mafia 2, Spiderman, Red Dead, Dead Space2 NBA 2K11. If you have these games and are looking to get rid of them check the site now. www.Gameswap.ie

I just swapped Guitar Hero 3 for Dragon Age 2 on Gameswap.ie. You could say they got burnt but they were running a promotion taking any of your games for a good one. They will be running more promotions over the next few days and weeks so check em out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I was just thinking this morning is there anything out there like this, have been looking around for yonks trying to find a pre owned (or even new) Dead Space. Going to sign up for this and give it a go.

maximoose wrote: »
    I was just thinking this morning is there anything out there like this, have been looking around for yonks trying to find a pre owned (or even new) Dead Space. Going to sign up for this and give it a go.

Aw man I had Dead Space up for a week or so but took it down as I wasn't ready to let it go. Just saw you put up some nice games for swap, pity they aren't PS3 tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Aw man I had Dead Space up for a week or so but took it down as I wasn't ready to let it go. Just saw you put up some nice games for swap, pity they aren't PS3 tho!

Yeah I put them up after not fully reading the blurbs in how to swap haha, thinking that it would be a kind of offer this for that thing. And now the website wont let me take them down, seems a little buggy but thats a given as it's only starting up.

Great idea though, hopefully it takes off.

Only concern is...what's to stop people setting up accounts, arranging to swap with people but just conning them into sending the game they want over and not sending anything back?

maximoose wrote: »
    Yeah I put them up after not fully reading the blurbs in how to swap haha, thinking that it would be a kind of offer this for that thing. And now the website wont let me take them down, seems a little buggy but thats a given as it's only starting up.

Great idea though, hopefully it takes off.

I had a problem trying to take down dead space as well but i left it a few hours and took it down fine.

go to My Profile. Under the Game Information tab, click Game Profile options. From here, you can remove games. If a guy applies for a swap for a game you don't want to give, you can just deny it and wait for a better offer.

• Advertisement

Well you have to pay 2 euro per swap or pay monthly/yearly subscription for unlimited swaps. Either way, the site will have any details for blaggards, dunno how that situation will be handled but hopefully having to give cred card details will keep the conners away.

If you are on facebook, check out their page. They are quick getting back to any questions and you can ask if anyone has dead space for xbox, im sure someone would swap for one of the ones you have up.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Gameswapie/188467864522962

I saw as well the user Bubs is looking for Halo Reach so you could swap him for one of his, if he has something you want that is:

http://gameswap.ie/UserProfile/?UserName=Bubs78

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I've tried unsuccessfully to add Mass Effect 2 to the games I have available to swap. Site just doesn't seem to work for OSX or Linux browsers.

I've tried unsuccessfully to add Mass Effect 2 to the games I have available to swap. Site just doesn't seem to work for OSX or Linux browsers.

I'd say just contact them through the site and see what the story is.

Advertisement