Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Server Suggestions (Boards.ie 2.0?)

• 11-03-2011 3:41pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Following on from this thread, we'd love to hear further suggestions that aren't mentioned in the "wish list" above.

If you have a specific mod in mind, please try to provide a link to it to help cherryghost and I out. We currently have Bukkit installed to handle most of the plug-ins, so compatibility with that and other existing plug-ins will be a factor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I like the following:

The world "Spawn" point will be a safe zone where players can't be harmed.

The server will have a designated PvP area and any PvP action or engagements outside of that will be considered a breach of the rules.

The Spawn point has some basic houses for people to shelter in. - while I like the idea of building it up, I think everyone should have a basic and identical cobblestone house inside a walled town. Allow players to build paths from the town to their own projects/towns but have it as a totally safe place - maybe even obsidian walls (with an overhang, can't be having spiders climbing the walls!

The server will include the /home and /sethome commands which allow you to establish a personal home location that you'll be able to quickly jump to.

The server will have the Teleport commands to allow players to jump to one another's locations. Cheating a little, perhaps, but cool to see other's work quickly.

The server will, when built up sufficiently, have NPCs who can issue lines of text when interacted with.

The Economy will be freely run between players to barter as they see fit with no assistance of a mod/plug-in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

If you can Thank (press this button: post_thanks.gif) the posts with the ideas you like, that's how we're going to decide what people want :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I'd like to make a point on two things put forward.
    Kharn wrote:
    The server will disable fire's ability to spread.

While at first this would like a good suggestion, it would take away quite alot of the fun for creating traps, IMO.

I would like to be able to build a long cobblestone tunnell, filled with wood, lure creepers and zombies etc in there and then set them on fire.

I feel creating traps is an important part of having mobs on, and this is one part of traps that would be nice to keep.

Also, a note on this.
    Kharn wrote:
    The server will disable TNT.

Again, you'd think yeah, good idea, will stop griefing etc etc, but with the effort people would have to put in, the get the sulfur from creepers (which is pretty hard sometimes) and then make the TNT, I highly doubt it would lead to much griefing if I'm honest, and again, it takes away a lot from the trap building process.

I know for one thing, I'll be keeping a chest in my house, with a trap to stop people looting it, and I'll most likely be using TNT.

To lose fire spreading and TNT would take away a good bit of fun, even though it looks like a good idea at the start.

Just my .02c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

No kits. No starter packs, or if you whana give starter packs they should not be better then stone.

Agree on TNT and fire spread suggestion above. TNT will be hard to get by, no point to disable it. And if there will be a griefer, he can use anything to do damage.... It will just hit genuine players, as griefers wount be arsed getting sulfor...

As fir safe zone... Do a main biulding in some area. Then everyone can biuld theirs small house around it. Rule would be: no more then 10x10, has to surrounded by road ofc 4 block thickness. So if new person start on server they are takingva spot outside allready built biuldings. So town will spread in circle. And that town hall thing will be in the middle. We can make Borders of town. As soon as that town will be filled in. We can do anather safe zone or extend town boarders and add up one more district.

This way you don't need to prebiuld little **** boxes. As you dont even know how many you will need. And safe zone will look ugly. With my suggestion we will be able to make a nice town wit unique biuldings and layout..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I agree with the above post,

It would be great if there were "Building regulations" in the base camp for houses, like theywe can by 10 wide by 8 deep by 6 high in what ever fashion you'd like ensure a little bit of actual township, these restrictions would obviously only be restricted to a "housing" district.

As said above I don't think we should disable fire spread or tnt.

Are there going to be any minimum requiremens to join the server to stop grievers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Hostile mobs at day time

Not sure about admins on the server but if they are they should spawn creepers, zombies + spiders with the /spawnmob cmd when bored :p Or lots of mob spawners scattered around the safe zone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

Sulphur isn't that hard to come by in game. It only takes 3 hours to build a compact mob grinder and hey presto a steady stream of the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Willbbz wrote: »
    Hostile mobs at day time

Not sure about admins on the server but if they are they should spawn creepers, zombies + spiders with the /spawnmob cmd when bored :p Or lots of mob spawners scattered around the safe zone
    There would still need to be admins in case of griefing I imagine, but just have the /give ability taken away from them!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Reviving this thread for the possible addition of Towny. This basically would add an entirely new dimension to the server, call it Boards.ie 2.0 if you will.
    Towny is a plugin for a Bukkit modded Minecraft server. The plugin itself is a manager for a Resident-Town-Nation hierarchy, as well as a block permission manager for a grid-like protection system. Each town has a mayor, while a nation has a king. They both have their own assistants to help run their respective people. Players can also purchase land from the town, for a daily tax set by the mayor. The player can allow his friends from out of town to build on his land when even his very own town's people can't build if he so wishes.

The bases of protection follows under how the world is seperated into chunks. For those unaware, minecraft servers are broken up into 16x16x128 sections of blocks. The 128 being the height from the adimantium floor to the clouds in the sky. The protection ignores the height an focuses on the x and z planes. The default size for grid squares is 16x16, similar to the chunk size (no real reason). So claiming townblock (a grid square) allows that section of land to follow your town's or the plot owner's permissions.

Each town can claim up to a certain amount of townblocks, a set ratio or amount configured in the setting that is relative to the amount of players taking residence in that town. Residents themselves have no limit on how many they claim, however the daily tax (when using alongside iConomy) will take a bite out of their resources. The money is tunneled to the town's bank account that only the mayor can withdraw from, except if the town belongs to a nation. Any town belonging to a nation is required to pay the nation a daily upkeep as well.

The gods of the land (admins) have the ability to start and end wartime mode. During war, most commands are frozen in order to focus on the event. Whilst at war, block permissions are ignored and any town that is in a nation is completely unprotected to the other nations residents. Also, each cell, or townblock, is given a certain amount of health. When a non-allied player enters the townblock, the townblock's health decreases. The town's residents have to force the player's out while still attacking others. When the health reaches zero, the town loses claim over that townblock. The focus is to defeat the each town's home block where the town's people spawn from.

So, thoughts and opinions? Further information here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Ideas for if we use Towny:
    -Only admins can place towns/nations (to prevent people just setting them up everywhere).
    -If someone wants a town set up, they request here on the forum with the coords of where the town would be at maximum size, and only if no one has any legitimate problems with it then it's set up (to prevent having your place taken over).
    -PvP areas only set up in specific places (like the Colosseum) or obviously between two warring nations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I like this idea and it was something i was hoping would be implemented when the server was first created. I think right now while we have a good community everyone tends to head of in random directions and build something.

With this it might encourage people to develop more towns and forge a better community with more cooperation in developing towns and rivalries between towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Not a fan of the PvP idea. I'll have to encase the place in traps if that's the case, and possibly use my mob trap for defensive purposes. People WILL be mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Having thought about it a bit I'm not so sure about it. I don't like the iConomy link - you can't pay taxes if no-one buys anything from you and there's nothing to sell that people don't already have.

And what's the benefit of have a town at all? If there was some reward for the size of the town or automatic perks or something then I'd go for it but right now you just have a small house that you don't spend any time in cause you're off building something elsewhere.

Don't really see the point of PvP in minecraft either - it's not designed for it and doesn't really work either. And that's what Call of Duty is for anyway.

If it was just for events then fair enough - have 2 bases and 2 teams and each has to destroy the other. Then you can spend a week working on defenses/traps/etc and on the weekend have a big battle. I can see people like Air and Bland coming up with some fckin evil traps and that would be a load of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Who is actually running the server - what is it running on?

I have an unused server which could easily bang out a minecraft server if you are interested.

Advertisement