Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a broadband test be done on the Line on the road?

Options
  • 11-03-2011 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi All,

I have been trying to get Broadband in my house for many years but I am stuck with an O2 dongle that barely gets 3G on a good day.

My line does not support broadband (on the carbury exchange 046) but I have heard of neighbours paying around €120 for new lines that are able for the load.

Over the phone I was told that this may not work and I will have spent the money for nothing. So I am wondering if the line can be tested from the road before I install a new one from it?

I live just at Killinagh between Edenderyy and Carbury. It's as though I am in a communications black hole.

Cheers

Robbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

No

• Registered Users Posts: 34 robdunne

OK...

ehm....

Well is there any way to check the suitability of a new line without incurring the risk of wasting money on one?

Robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

robdunne wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have been trying to get Broadband in my house for many years but I am stuck with an O2 dongle that barely gets 3G on a good day.

My line does not support broadband (on the carbury exchange 046) but I have heard of neighbours paying around €120 for new lines that are able for the load.

Over the phone I was told that this may not work and I will have spent the money for nothing. So I am wondering if the line can be tested from the road before I install a new one from it?

I live just at Killinagh between Edenderyy and Carbury. It's as though I am in a communications black hole.

Cheers

Robbie

Hi Robbie,

There is no way to know for certain if a line is capable for broadband until the line is installed and tested for broadband from the exchange. The eircom technicans try and insure broadband availabilty but it is not possible to forsee all the factors that may affect the broadband signal on the line.

As such with new installations in regards to looking to get broadband there are no guarantees.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I told ya

Advertisement