Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picasa Raw conversion weirdness

• 11-03-2011 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭

Up to now, 99% of my shots have been jpgs, am now experimenting with Raw, using Raw Therapee for processing, but still using Picasa for library mgt.

This happened today - the photo on the left is RAW, the one on the right is jpg. These are both straight out of the camera, a 40D. Not a picasa issue IMO as Raw Therapee & Microsoft picture viewer display them like this as well. Looks like th e.jpg conversion in the 40D went a bit bananas. does anybody have any idea why? Thanks.

rawnjpeg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Check your camera to see if there's any "mode" applied to the jpeg output, there's usually a few different profiles/modes/etc including B&W etc... looks like it had a very contrasty one set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It is an issue with Picasa FoxT. I used to use Picasa to view my RAW files before I got Elements, and when you open a RAW file it automatically auto-corrects the image (I think this is what happens) and usually it comes out like a noisy mess.

It wasn't until I got Elements that I realised the problem is with Picasa. Even now, Picasa is my default desktop image viewer, and when I open RAW files to quickly preview them before bringing bringing them over to Adobe Camera Raw, they come out horribly. Then they're perfect in ACR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Pic settings on the camera are OK - I took about 10 shots similar to this one & in all cases the jpegs were more contrasty than the .CR2s, (normal) but for some reason this .jpg was wayy out of whack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

That's not abnormal at all. The RAW image is exactly what the image sensor took in. The JPG has been processed by whatever processing engine is in the camera. They should look significantly different. (Unless the exposure was so perfect that the processing engine did nothing.. which is unlikely.)

Advertisement