Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food prices going down?

• 11-03-2011 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

Funny enough no they are not going down.
    Coke gone up from 1:99 to 2:09 in dunnes.
    Bread gone up.
    Milk gone up again.
    I have noticed other things will be back later with them prices.

Anyone seen anything take hikes in prices that you buy normally.
    The rich and poor scale widens.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

For some reason, I never expected the prices to go down. And I don't expect them to go down in the near future either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

caseyann wrote: »
    Bread gone up.
    Milk gone up again.

2l soft drinks gone up to €2.19 in Supervalu. Nappies gone up over €2 in last few months.

Maybe the new government will bring some changes :rolleyes:

Sorry, that was a bit sarcastic, I suppose.

Anyway, this seems to be a trend, which is kind of unstoppable in this very moment. Costs of living are going up, but we (at least most of us) will have even less money to spend:mad:

I hope, the new government will do something to stop this trend...as this is no sarcasm at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Prices increasing isn't a rip off. It's called supply and demand!

Food prices have increased worldwide, the price of oil has gone through the roof. Whats that plastic 2L bottle of coke made with? Oil funnily enough.

Fair enough if one retailer has increased prices and others haven't but this increase is across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Bread gone up.
    Milk gone up again.

NOBODY FORCED YOU TO BUY THE COKE

NOBODY FORCED YOU TO BUY THE BREAD

NOBODY FORCED YOU TO BUY THE MILK

Just kidding, I laugh when I see other people posting it on other threads:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I started a thread some time back... and no it's not a rip-off.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056162539

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

there must be thousands of the same type of thread around.

Prices go up and down.

Its based on so many factors including, raw material costs, manufacturing costs, transports costs, packaging costs, retailer costs etc etc etc.

Price of sugar on the world commodity market has gone up 100% in the past 12 months.

Price of oil has jumped (plastic bottles are an oil by product)

Add to this, wheat, corn & rice prices have gone up. (bad weather destoyed crops last year)

Milk prices have gone up (not by much though)

Do what everyone else does, shop around / change what you eat. Plenty of places with 2 x 2l coke for 3.50 (even my local mace has that offer) Lidl have milk for 75c / litre. Bread can be had from about 70c a loaf (utter crap stuff) to over €2 - you choose. Or bake it yourself (easya nd very tasty)

Expect anything and everything that involves wheat, sugar, corn & rice to increase in price. Not just here, but every store in the world. (Its one of the reasons for the uprisings in middle east!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Lars1916 wrote: »
    For some reason, I never expected the prices to go down. And I don't expect them to go down in the near future either.
    Yeah but isnt that what they were all spouting on about as they cut the minimum wage and welfare.Just shows you something doesnt it.

I know its a disgrace :(
    Just shows you the mind set of the governments and trade.
    kc66 wrote: »
    2l soft drinks gone up to €2.19 in Supervalu. Nappies gone up over €2 in last few months.

They took a hike of 2 euro?
    What was coke previously?

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Maybe the new government will bring some changes :rolleyes:

Sorry, that was a bit sarcastic, I suppose.

Anyway, this seems to be a trend, which is kind of unstoppable in this very moment. Costs of living are going up, but we (at least most of us) will have even less money to spend:mad:

I hope, the new government will do something to stop this trend...as this is no sarcasm at all.

Dont count on it,so long as they eat well and those with loads of cash barr the few who actually give a **** about the people,will sit back and allow it.
    Prices increasing isn't a rip off. It's called supply and demand!

Food prices have increased worldwide, the price of oil has gone through the roof. Whats that plastic 2L bottle of coke made with? Oil funnily enough.

Fair enough if one retailer has increased prices and others haven't but this increase is across the board.

Is that a joke?

NOBODY FORCED YOU TO BUY THE COKE

NOBODY FORCED YOU TO BUY THE BREAD

NOBODY FORCED YOU TO BUY THE MILK

Its ok.

Just kidding, I laugh when I see other people posting it on other threads:pac:
    I DONT BUY THEM WHEN THE PRICES GO UP!

Anything i dont think is worth the price labeled and i see going up in price i dont buy anymore.:D

p.s i didnt buy the coke or the bread or the milk:D I said i noticed the prices going up :D

91011 wrote: »
    there must be thousands of the same type of thread around.

Prices go up and down.

Its based on so many factors including, raw material costs, manufacturing costs, transports costs, packaging costs, retailer costs etc etc etc.

Price of sugar on the world commodity market has gone up 100% in the past 12 months.

Price of oil has jumped (plastic bottles are an oil by product)

Add to this, wheat, corn & rice prices have gone up. (bad weather destoyed crops last year)

Milk prices have gone up (not by much though)

Do what everyone else does, shop around / change what you eat. Plenty of places with 2 x 2l coke for 3.50 (even my local mace has that offer) Lidl have milk for 75c / litre. Bread can be had from about 70c a loaf (utter crap stuff) to over €2 - you choose. Or bake it yourself (easya nd very tasty)

Expect anything and everything that involves wheat, sugar, corn & rice to increase in price. Not just here, but every store in the world. (Its one of the reasons for the uprisings in middle east!)

Being honest i dont give a crap about anywhere else in the world.Let them sort out their own crap.
    But when they start cutting peoples wages to pay back banks and their mistakes and then allow the food prices to go up then i have a problem.
    There is already a large amount of the Irish community who are struggling to put food on table while under pressure of bills.And you expect them to shut up and carry on? Just because it isnt effecting you?

• Advertisement

Is that a joke?

No it's not a joke.
    Don't you read newspapers, watch any international news channels or have an interest in world economics?
    I suggest you take your head out of the sand and have a look at whats going on worldwide before suggesting that you've experienced a rip off in food prices.

No it's not a joke.
    Don't you read newspapers, watch any international news channels or have an interest in world economics?
    I suggest you take your head out of the sand and have a look at whats going on worldwide before suggesting that you've experienced a rip off in food prices.

I dont care about international problems they have nothing to do with me.Their countries their issues.
    And i asked was the plastic bottle being made out of oil a joke?
    The rest i disagree with.If you dont have an issue with it good for you,best of luck.Dont lose sleep over people not able to afford good food and getting ill.

Being honest i dont give a crap about anywhere else in the world.Let them sort out their own crap.
    But when they start cutting peoples wages to pay back banks and their mistakes and then allow the food prices to go up then i have a problem.
    There is already a large amount of the Irish community who are struggling to put food on table while under pressure of bills.And you expect them to shut up and carry on? Just because it isnt effecting you?

Oh I would love for you to be shut in a room with say - Bob Geldof - and try telling him that you don't give a crap about anywhere else in the world.

Being honest- thats a disracefully selfish attitude to have. You would never have the nerve to say that in real life, rather you'll just hide in internet land and talk shiite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Im not talking about coke specifically, but 7up, Club orange etc, not long since it was €1.89, more recently €1.99. Think it went from there to €2.19.

Oh I would love for you to be shut in a room with say - Bob Geldof - and try telling him that you don't give a crap about anywhere else in the world.

Being honest- thats a disracefully selfish attitude to have. You would never have the nerve to say that in real life, rather you'll just hide in internet land and talk shiite.
    So would i and tell him what a nice man he is but what and idiot he is also.
    Selfish attitude oh cry me a river.:rolleyes:
    P.S yes i do have the nerve to say that in real life ;)
    kc66 wrote: »
    Im not talking about coke specifically, but 7up, Club orange etc, not long since it was €1.89, more recently €1.99. Think it went from there to €2.19.
    That is some hike in them,that will lose them buyers.
    If you stop buying them and buy their name brand it will go down and the own name brand will go up.
    I couldnt believe it.I bought olive oil yesterday and it was 3 euro for roma olive oil in Centra.Which was good but last bottle and nearly out of date.Which shows the catch.Don carlos was 3:49 which is another good price for it.But it was gone off even though the date on it said three months more.So see the catch.And its own brand lol get this which was 2:50 has shot up to a amazing 4:39 :eek:

Have you noticed the issues with fruit and veg aswell.How long it lasts?
    One of my friends from Poland and i,were talking about it tis morning.She said she finds it awful the veg and fruit and the prices awful to for the amount of time they last from shelf in the house.
    She said back in Poland the veg and fruit lasts way longer and they have had worse weather from her part of Poland than Ireland has had.
    She said the food quality in Ireland has gotten rapidly very bad in her 4 years of living here.

Yeah but isnt that what they were all spouting on about as they cut the minimum wage and welfare.Just shows you something doesnt it.

I know its a disgrace :(
    Just shows you the mind set of the governments and trade.

Dont count on it,so long as they eat well and those with loads of cash barr the few who actually give a **** about the people,will sit back and allow it.

Is that a joke?

I DONT BUY THEM WHEN THE PRICES GO UP!

Anything i dont think is worth the price labeled and i see going up in price i dont buy anymore.:D

p.s i didnt buy the coke or the bread or the milk:D I said i noticed the prices going up :D

Someone who sits in the Dail canteen with pockets full of money, having a cup of coffee for €0.70 or a full dinner for a fiver maybe, really gives a toss about ordinary people spending a fortune on essential groceries, I suppose :(

You still don't get it.

Wages have decreased here and in other Eurozone countries, and the UK as well.
    All the problems in the US are well documented. There is uproar going on in the public sector over there at the moment, Wisconsin public workers staged a sit in becuase of loss of rights. In New York they are cutting teachers out of all the public schools to save cash.

The price of food has gone up WORLDWIDE. The dogs on the street know that you can't blame that on the Irish Government!

You really should try and educate yourself on a few items of world importance, it would help in your debating. The argument that "you don't give a crap about the rest of the world" doesn't really stand up.

You still don't get it.

Wages have decreased here and in other Eurozone countries, and the UK as well.
    All the problems in the US are well documented. There is uproar going on in the public sector over there at the moment, Wisconsin public workers staged a sit in becuase of loss of rights. In New York they are cutting teachers out of all the public schools to save cash.

The price of food has gone up WORLDWIDE. The dogs on the street know that you can't blame that on the Irish Government!

You really should try and educate yourself on a few items of world importance, it would help in your debating. The argument that "you don't give a crap about the rest of the world" doesn't really stand up.

It doesnt do tell how it doesnt none of your business if i dont give a rats about what their problems are didnt you hear me:confused:.My Business is Ireland and Irish.
    Do you honestly think you going on and on and on and thinking you can dictate to me what i should care about is going to change my mind.Yeah dream another one.
    Dont tell me what to do with your condescending attitude.
    Ever heard of minding your own business about what other people think?

I wasnt posting this to debate with anyone :rolleyes:
    Go debate with your shadow :D

Good for them let them do their business and complain over there,and yes you can blame the Irish government and bankers and fat cats as they sit in their ivory towers not touched.Get yourself out to a soup kitchen sometime in Ireland and then come back and talk to me about whos to blame.
    I dont need to educate myself and dont think even if you are more educated than i am that you have the right to start dictating to me what i should feel and shouldnt feel
    God some people :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Firstly, ditch the coke, it's sugary poison ;)
    She said the food quality in Ireland has gotten rapidly very bad in her 4 years of living here.

Well you have places importing beef from Brazil and marking it as Irish.
    And the likes of Tesco getting tomatoes from Spain or potatoes from Israel.
    Not like we can't produce potatoes in Ireland!

If you find the food quality bad, look where it came from.
    Good chance it was flown thousands of miles to get here.

Farmers markets can be a rip off but it's an option and you'll find top produce, just have to haggle
    Can you haggle with a farmer, isn't easy! :cool:

Firstly, ditch the coke, it's sugary poison ;)

Well you have places importing beef from Brazil and marking it as Irish.
    And the likes of Tesco getting tomatoes from Spain or potatoes from Israel.
    Not like we can't produce potatoes in Ireland!

If you find the food quality bad, look where it came from.
    Good chance it was flown thousands of miles to get here.

Farmers markets can be a rip off but it's an option and you'll find top produce, just have to haggle
    Can you haggle with a farmer, isn't easy! :cool:

Thats the thing she said it was Spanish veg and Irish potatoes and veg.I buy only Irish as much as i can and they are very bad quality.I always look for the brand,but they all seem to have a three day limit.
    Why is Poland's staying better i am sure they import alot?
    I only buy Irish meat ever.
    I get some farmers at the door with their stock.I might start buying from them.What you think?
    And i dont drink coke,i havent since i was a kid.It makes me hyper and dangerous :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thats the thing she said it was Spanish veg and Irish potatoes and veg.I buy only Irish as much as i can and they are very bad quality.I always look for the brand,but they all seem to have a three day limit.
    Why is Poland's staying better i am sure they import alot?
    I only buy Irish meat ever.

I don't know the answer,
    www.bordbia.ie or maybe some government department would want to know about bad Irish produce out on the market
    I get some farmers at the door with their stock.I might start buying from them.What you think?

A good option but don't overpay or even pay the first price they give you. They expect you to haggle. Farmers haggle for lots of things, you should do the same
    And i dont drink coke,i havent since i was a kid.It makes me hyper and dangerous :D

I've seen your posts, you're under the influence of something :D

I don't know the answer,
    www.bordbia.ie or maybe some government department would want to know about bad Irish produce out on the market

A good option but don't overpay or even pay the price they give you. They expect you to haggle. Farmers haggle for lots of things, you should do the same

I've seen your posts, you're under the influence of something :D

I will look into reporting that thanks :)

I will haggle i am Irish after all :D

HAHAHAHA the neck on you stretched like a donkies bollox :eek: :D

I have you know people enjoy reading my posts because of my je na sais quo :p
    How ever might be the long after still with drawing effect :P or the fiery heart of Irish woman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

is off to enjoy a nice meal of nappies marinated in coke

It doesnt do tell how it doesnt none of your business if i dont give a rats about what their problems are didnt you hear me:confused:.My Business is Ireland and Irish.
    Do you honestly think you going on and on and on and thinking you can dictate to me what i should care about is going to change my mind.Yeah dream another one.
    Dont tell me what to do with your condescending attitude.
    Ever heard of minding your own business about what other people think?

I wasnt posting this to debate with anyone :rolleyes:
    Go debate with your shadow :D

Good for them let them do their business and complain over there,and yes you can blame the Irish government and bankers and fat cats as they sit in their ivory towers not touched.Get yourself out to a soup kitchen sometime in Ireland and then come back and talk to me about whos to blame.
    I dont need to educate myself and dont think even if you are more educated than i am that you have the right to start dictating to me what i should feel and shouldnt feel
    God some people :D

Eh, you're posting on a public forum, I replied to your query on high food prices with relevent information and now your telling me to mind my own business?
    Some people indeed!

Eh, you're posting on a public forum, I replied to your query on high food prices with relevent information and now your telling me to mind my own business?
    Some people indeed!

No,You continued on with this> Oh I would love for you to be shut in a room with say - Bob Geldof - and try telling him that you don't give a crap about anywhere else in the world.

:rolleyes:

No,You continued on with this> Oh I would love for you to be shut in a room with say - Bob Geldof - and try telling him that you don't give a crap about anywhere else in the world.

:rolleyes:

Yawn. Back on topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

One area I have seen very notable reductions is cold meats, rashers & sausages.

Offers by almost every brand and a new 400g pack for €5 seems to be everywhere as are €1.99 deals, 2 for €3 deals, 100% extra free deals.

in my local petrol station they have 5 brand / different packs of sliced ham and each one has some form of price / extra free promotion.

Same with rashers and a lot of the better quality sausage brands (ruuds now €2 down from €3.39 in most places)

Cheese is another area that seems to have dropped in price considerably or has all sorts of offers.

91011 wrote: »
    One area I have seen very notable reductions is cold meats, rashers & sausages.

Offers by almost every brand and a new 400g pack for €5 seems to be everywhere as are €1.99 deals, 2 for €3 deals, 100% extra free deals.

in my local petrol station they have 5 brand / different packs of sliced ham and each one has some form of price / extra free promotion.

Same with rashers and a lot of the better quality sausage brands (ruuds now €2 down from €3.39 in most places)

Cheese is another area that seems to have dropped in price considerably or has all sorts of offers.

I reckon those price cuts for now are just because people arent buying the more expensive items and they have to or else they lose to much money.
    But wont stay that way for long.Most of the foods that are on special prices are really only giving you 20 cent discount if you work it out and most is bad quality.Like sausages if not the right colour not the best type.Cheese havent seen any price drops in cheese.Not like you could live on it either.
    And the dates are usually very close to date you buy them for going off.If you open them which is worse you have to consume in two days.Which lets face it not everyone is going to do that in two days.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I reckon those price cuts for now are just because people arent buying the more expensive items and they have to or else they lose to much money.
    But wont stay that way for long.Most of the foods that are on special prices are really only giving you 20 cent discount if you work it out and most is bad quality.Like sausages if not the right colour not the best type.Cheese havent seen any price drops in cheese.Not like you could live on it either.
    And the dates are usually very close to date you buy them for going off.If you open them which is worse you have to consume in two days.Which lets face it not everyone is going to do that in two days.:D

The dripin cheese price may have to do with the discounterd .i buy mine in lidl, im vegie and i do live on it. I spend about 5euro a week on it so i study the price.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The dripin cheese price may have to do with the discounterd .i buy mine in lidl, im vegie and i do live on it. I spend about 5euro a week on it so i study the price.

I would say will be brought back up when people buy it so much.Good for you alot of Irish people dont till they get the total,and when their weekly shop bill rises by certain amount they stop.And then only play attention.
    I notice even in a basket,I used to be able to do a shop for about fifty euro less milk and bread for the week.Now its like 80 euro for nothing. I am even buying less and buying the cheapest,because i refuse to pay for food over priced.Unless its the best quality type.
    Fair play to you,sorry i love my meat and couldnt live without it :D

Advertisement