Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog swallowed bone??

• 11-03-2011 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Last night my dod ate most of a shop bought ham bone, this morning we found she had vomited in her bed(which she does very often) and there was quite a big lump of bone in the vomit. Again this morning she vomited again, all bile and water.
    She is very quiet, wont eat but is drinking lots of water. She also has had diarrhoea.
    Should we get her to the vet now or wait and see how she is tomorrow??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

try her with rice and chicken, or maybe pasta and chicken.

This happened to my dog when she was a pup and all it was in the end was an upset stomach. If you notice blood in her poo or her vomit then take her to vet straight away. If she doesn't seem to be in pain and is eating the rice and chicken then you can wait and see if things improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Was it a cooked bone? I've always gone on the rule to NEVER give a dog a cooked bone and it's held me and me dogs in good stead

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭marilynmonroe

Im not sure if it was or not-ive never given her a bone before but my boyfriend convinced me it would be ok :mad:
    It was one of those ones in vacuum packing from dunnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Im not sure if it was or not-ive never given her a bone before but my boyfriend convinced me it would be ok :mad:
    It was one of those ones in vacuum packing from dunnes

Sounds like a cooked bone, never give them to a dog.

If you wanna give it a bone then pop down to your local butchers and ask if he has any bones for a dog, they'll sort you out.

Depending on your area i get my dog bones from The butchers in Eurospar next door to Starbucks in Malahide or from Dolans in Kinsealey. Both are great and will cut them to whatever size your dog wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

If your dog has vomiting and diarrhoea then I would get her to a vet just to be safe. She could get dehydrated very quickly and might need a drip to keep her fluids up.

A few years ago my dog buried a bone in the garden, dug it up a few days later for another chew and ended up with gastroenteritis and had to spend 2 days in the vets on a drip. Haven't let her outside with a bone since and will only give her bones that are fresh or from the freezer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

scudzilla wrote: »
    If you wanna give it a bone then pop down to your local butchers and ask if he has any bones for a dog, they'll sort you out.
    We were doing this for the last 2 years and recently they decided to start cooking the bones and charging for them. I've told them I'm happy to pay the same for raw but apparently they don't do raw bones anymore. :rolleyes:

So we've started going to another butcher instead. Has anybody else had any trouble getting raw bones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would go to the Vet now. Why take any risk for the sake of a consultation fee ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The quietness and vomiting would worry me - she may have an intestinal blockage, so I'd be taking her to the vet.

Dogs & bones - cooked bad, raw good. In raw bones, they should be one of two things = either a raw bone that's so manageable relative to the size of the dog that the dog can crunch it up small and swallow it with no ill-effects (I can feed my labrador-sized dog a chicken leg, for instance), or it should be a bone large enough that the dog can't swallow any part of it. (I'll get a large marrow-bone that's cross=sawn and the dog can have at it for the day - he's large enough that he won't crack or worry his teeth on that because he doesn't try to eat it, he just works the marrow out.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Whispered wrote: »

So we've started going to another butcher instead. Has anybody else had any trouble getting raw bones?

Raw bones are plentifull from my butcher,got way too many as he keeps giving!
    Wierd people are still buying cooked ones from them as they are a hazard cooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Whispered wrote: »
    Has anybody else had any trouble getting raw bones?

I think it depends on whether your butcher knows you, I know I've had problems getting raw bones from butchers but then we're veggie so never go to the butcher except for getting dog bones. I was told butchers stopped giving bones for the dogs because people were asking for bones for the dogs, butchers were giving the waste bones but people were using them to make stock, not boiling them properly and getting ill from it so now butchers are paranoid about getting into trouble. Can't really blame them I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

we never go to the butcher either except to get the bones, but always buy something too. It's a pain having to go to the other one. There's no parking at it and it's an extra 15 min drive. :(

Advertisement