Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the course with the highest male:female ratio?

• 11-03-2011 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm doing a project on the courses more males do..i know more females are in nursing, teaching etc. but i need to know about males, i know they're in engineering, maths, science but i need more! thanks :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Woodwork and Metalwork teaching, probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering. Girls were few and far between in those courses in college

Lots of the course in agricultural colleges are male dominated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Midwifery?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Courses with high Female:Male ratio would also be appreciated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

spurious wrote: »
    Woodwork and Metalwork teaching, probably.

I have a friend doing Woodwork teaching in UL, 3 girls out of 79 on the course.. So thats just below 4% of the whole class being female! Although I was talking to another guy I know in UL, his course Wood Science and Technology has 40 guys and not one girl!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

higgz wrote: »
    Courses with high Female:Male ratio would also be appreciated ;)

med lab science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Graca

anyone know the male:female ratio on nutrition/food (not chief) courses??

Just a word of warning, if you base your choice of course on the gender ratio you might come to regret it in later years...

Just a word of warning, if you base your choice of course on the gender ratio you might come to regret it in later years...

and I've heard it can be quite embarrassing if you see someone in a morning lecture who you mauled the night before ;)

RHunce wrote: »
    I've heard it can be quite embarrassing if you see someone in a morning lecture who you mauled the night before ;)

Bitta personal experience there RHunce? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Bitta personal experience there RHunce? :rolleyes:

I've been told it's the only benefit of doing the male dominated woodwork teaching next year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I hate this question. I am in a course with a big ratio of a certain sex and to be honest you don't want to go out with people from your course because you don't want to have to see your ex for three or more years everyday in the lectures if you break up with them. You will realise that when you get into your course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭grungepants

Im in a fashion course with all girls (im a man).Literally no blokes even the teachers are femme la beau.Its really cringey if your not good a public speaking cause i just go bright red in the face and then stare at the ground for a few minutes waiting for the shocking embaresment to pass:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Computer Science is quite male dominated, there's few girls though, but it makes no difference. My best friends from college aren't in my course, I've met theme through other parts of college.

Fad wrote: »
    Computer Science is quite male dominated, there's few girls though, but it makes no difference. My best friends from college aren't in my course, I've met theme through other parts of college.

how else? clubs and socs? accomm? i'm really nervous about making new friends next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Usually, in third level language studies, the majority of students (and sometimes staff) are females and the minority are males. I'm male. Also in my Spanish Department, there is only one male lecturer. The ratio between male/female staff in my French Department is roughly equal.

Advertisement