Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which phone is best for my needs?

Options
  • 11-03-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hello, I'd like to buy a smartphone but I am not very knowledgeable about them, so I am really not sure whether I should go for an iPhone, a Blackberry, an Android, or something else....these are my main needs, could you please let me know what would you suggest?

1) Don't like touchpad, I would prefer to have a keypad as I find it easier to use.
    2) Need access to emails, twitter updates, IM, FB, etc. quickly.
    3) Possibly store some movies to watch when I travel or music to listen to.
    4) Biggish screen.
    5) Camera and video would be nice to have.
    6) GPS would be handy, but not a must.
    7) Don't really care about games or most other applications.

I'd prefer to spend 200-300€ but don't mind spending more if needed.

As you can see my requirements are pretty basic...what would you suggest?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Will you be typing a lot?
    Do you want a qwerty keypad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭ongarite

How about the HTC Desire Z.
    Its got a full flip-out QWERTY keyboard.
    The HTC software is geared for easy access to Facebook & Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Yes, a QWERTY keyboard would be ideal as I will be typing quite a bit!

TripleAce wrote: »
    Yes, a QWERTY keyboard would be ideal as I will be typing quite a bit!

Are you on prepay/ want to stay?

what network are you on at the minute/ want to stay with?

Davy wrote: »
    Are you on prepay/ want to stay?

what network are you on at the minute/ want to stay with?

I am on prepay with Vodafone, if possible though I would like the phone to be unlocked so when I travel abroad I can use local SIMs.

• Advertisement

Well for what you have said so far, it points to a blackberry. VF are the only operator that have a BB service for payg. If you were say ok to touchscreen phones you would have a lot more to choose from.

Other options are to switch networks, or to get yourself an older sim free handset. Something like a E5 or E72 fit what you asked for and would be in budget

Davy wrote: »
    Well for what you have said so far, it points to a blackberry. VF are the only operator that have a BB service for payg. If you were say ok to touchscreen phones you would have a lot more to choose from.

Other options are to switch networks, or to get yourself an older sim free handset. Something like a E5 or E72 fit what you asked for and would be in budget

thank you! Let's say i was ok with touchscreen, which one would you advise for me?

TripleAce wrote: »
    thank you! Let's say i was ok with touchscreen, which one would you advise for me?

well you could get a touchscreen and full qwerty :pac: No such thing a phone just for calls and texts anymore :P

Advertisement