Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Biology Question.

• 11-03-2011 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

"Describe how minerals such as nitrates enter the plant from the soil?"

Now my biology book says it happens via active transport? I disagree surely it happens through passive transport, as they are dissolved in the water via osmosis or diffusion or something??
    Can anyone shed some light?? Thanks! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

Patri wrote: »
    "Describe how minerals such as nitrates enter the plant from the soil?"

Now my biology book says it happens via active transport? I disagree surely it happens through passive transport, as they are dissolved in the water via osmosis or diffusion or something??
    Can anyone shed some light?? Thanks! :confused:
    You can say Active transport or Diffusion because the marking scheme says both because my teacher just checked that question today haha. Just don't say Osmosis because thats STRICTLY water molecules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Solus01 wrote: »
    You can say Active transport or Diffusion because the marking scheme says both because my teacher just checked that question today haha. Just don't say Osmosis because thats STRICTLY water molecules.

Thanks very much but surely it would be passive transport? Active transport involes energy they enter dissolved in water, I'd go with diffusion actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

it is active transport...THEN minerals are moved to the vascular system which transports the minerals round the plant......... they get the energy from the mitchrocondria in the root hairs........... i answerd this question today lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

brownlad wrote: »
    it is active transport...THEN minerals are moved to the vascular system which transports the minerals round the plant......... they get the energy from the mitchrocondria in the root hairs........... i answerd this question today lol:D

That's the book answer right? I just looked up examinations.ie they say passive transport or diffusion! I think the book is wrong :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

ye lol....... if your using new senior biology.... and the book a heap os $hit cause d experiments gave me the wrong answes in the mocks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

See my rely to your question in the biology forum.

Short answer, it is active transport (and diffusion)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

It's definitely active transport.
    http://www.biotopics.co.uk/life/osmdia.html

Advertisement