Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*Pictures of your pet cows*

• 11-03-2011 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Can we post pictures here?
    If so - show me your girls.

I'll start. This is Honey. She is the most adorable animal ever. She even knows what "kiss" means.

With her scarf.
    795.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Dont get me wrong as i love my cows too but you take things to a whole different level fella!

Dressing up the cow, time to get yourself an agnes to dress up and leave the cow alone:P:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I'm female! Its my daddys cow!! She can't have any more calves, so shes just here as a pet. Isnt she just beautiful! <3:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I'm female! Its my daddys cow!! She can't have any more calves, so shes just here as a pet. Isnt she just beautiful! <3:D

Oh okay my apologies and your cow is lovely too by the way:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

i dont know about having pet cows but i wish 296(yearling heifer) would stop trying to ride me everytime i walk in the field.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

keep going wrote: »
    i dont know about having pet cows but i wish 296(yearling heifer) would stop trying to ride me everytime i walk in the field.
    :D, We used to have a show bull that would put his two front feet up on either shoulder everytime I went to tie him to the barrier!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

we had a montbelliard cross cow that was a roll over from when we were dairying. gave super calves and wasnt a bad milker when we were dairying. Dad bought her cheep and got 10 calves from her. one set of twins. went in calf first time every time
    She was the type of cow that would just stand in the field to be scratched.
    She got a tumour in her eye though and we had to ship her off. was sad to see her go:(

I'm sorry to hear that BogmanBass.

Honey has had the worst luck with calves. She's been here on our farm since she was a tiny baby. Her 1st calf was a big calf, but it got pneumonia a day later and died. Her 2nd calf got some sort of infection which meant he couldnt walk and he died. Her 3rd calf was suffocated when he was born (he was born in the middle of the night and nobody was there to help her). Her 4th calf was born healthy - my dad left her outside to calve so that the calf wouldnt suffocate if it landed on its head or whatever. Her 5th calf was stillborn. She was walking around with the calves head sticking out and the poor little mite was dead. The vet came and cut its head off before removing the rest of the body. She was tested for BSE or some horrid disease which meant we would have to kill her. She was alright though. Her 6th calf was healthy. But she won't go in calf anymore and its been over a year.

She thinks her name is "food". Lol. She hears food and gets mad excited. She'll eat everything apart from anything with onions in it. Bananas, icecream, sandwiches, lollipops, crisps, apples, chips, coke or 7up if the fizz has gone out of it, lukewarm tea. I even made porridge for her some mornings during the snow - and with sugar on it, she ate it.

I love her so much, she seriously means more to me than most people do. She is just unbelievably smart and gentle and kind, for such a big animal. And she knows I would never ever ever smack her. I have a "cow stick" a massive stick i wave at them when they wont move for me. But I might as well be waving fairy dust at them, for all the remarks they'll pass. When my dad goes to get them, he doesnt even need to shout at them, they just go for him.

This is her the day before she calved with her last calf. It was in december - and so so so so so cold. So i wrapped her up, but she was too big for my robe. Lol
    519d.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I also used to have a pet called Darcy. He was given to me by my dads friend. He has a massssive big farm and he had a heap of cows calving all at once, and he went to check on cows he had on some farm, and this one cow had died. So, as he was driving out of the field, he sees something moving and he stops, and it was a tiny little calf, that the cow obviously had before she died. He hadnt time to look after him, so he rang my daddy to see if I wanted him. Of course I wanted him.

The evening he came to our house, his two ribs looked stuck together. His nose was blue and he was so hungry that he wouldnt have lived very much longer. We had been defrosting beastings, just enough to take the frozen solid lumps out of it, we couldnt wait for it to be warmed up completely. It was so cold and the poor little dude drank it down so fast Im surprised he didnt choke himself.

Darcy was the most spoiled animal on the farm - more than the cats, more than the dogs. He would follow me around like a dog. He drank from a bottle. He would eat pretty much anything, and he sulked like a child. He got slapped on the eye, accidently whilst being taken off the cow, and when i put the cold water on it using a sock, he was getting so much relief from it he put his head up on my shoulder as i was soaking it for him.

He got really big then - he was about a year and a half - and i went into the shed to say hello to him. I had turned my back on him to pet the other animal and my dad shouted to watch out. Darcy went about jumping up on my back. Got the fright of my life.
    I slapped him on the side of his face, just with my hand and yelled "DARCY! NO!" at him. I swear to god, he sulked like a child. He walked down to the end of the shed, and wouldnt come back up to me when I called him.

The day we sold him was seriously the saddest day ever. I felt like a horrid evil bitch. We went to say goodbye to him in the mart before he went into the ring, and he was so scared. He put his big nose up on the railing so i kissed him goodbye and when daddy and me walked away, he started mooing after us. I cried the entire way out, and the entire way thru him being sold, as he was walking around the ring.

Often wonder what his new family were like. I wrote "his name is darcy" on his blue card, so i hope at least they called his name, but hate to think that anybody could have hurt my little baby. It makes me sad still to think he lived somewhere just being another animal, with none of his friends, without me and without his name. It makes me so disgusted with myself that he trusted me with things like feeding him and making his eye better, and i betrayed him in the worst possible way.

Hes the reason I will never ever ever have another pet cow after honey. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

hope any dept isnt looking at this cos i cant see any tag on her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

You sure you not my girlfriend?

joking obv but you do remind me of her. Obsessed with cows so she is.

The picture below is a calf born at christmas, only a few days old in the pic

5326770469_6f8bd95d22.jpg
    Flossie by IS 365, on Flickr

At almost 3 months old now she eats anything you give her. Had he in a pen beside a bull while dosing at the wknd and she had her head through the bars gobbling as many bull nuts as she could.
    Shes a hollowtree Nickolas for anybody interested!

Might post more pics of the gf's cows later ubt there all there on my flickr

Awwww she is so so so so beautiful. <3

• Advertisement

keep going wrote: »
    hope any dept isnt looking at this cos i cant see any tag on her
    She has her tags now she had to get it for herd test. My dad was only allowed pierce one of her ears tho, so techincally she is still missing a tag.

Advertisement